Anyone familiar with Celebration Day DVD?

missytootsweet

Hi,

There is a DVD + book combo on Amazon called "Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day-The Inside Story." As one would expect the official product description is highly appealing/complimentary about said product. See below:

Product Description

''Featuring extensive interviews with Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham alongside rare films and recordings of Zeppelin in performance, this two DVD and book set is the definitive critical review of the music of Led Zeppelin. Contributions include Zeppelin insiders, along with newly released archive interviews with the band recorded during the 1977 US tour. The book includes a complete history of Led Zeppelin in the words of the band and its critics, and features a track-by-track analysis of every Zeppelin recording, broadcast and film performance ever released." **

However, there are only 2 reviews. One rates the dvd okay and the other rates it poor. That's not very much to go on. So....before I plunk down my 35.99 I would really appreciate any opinions if you own or know of this set.

Thank-you! :) missy

**From the Amazon website.

Hi missy!

I have that one and the following: Led Zeppelin Total Rock Review---LZ Complete Rock Case Studies, LZ The Definitive Review, LZ In Their Own Words and LZ Up Close and Personal, LZ Origin of The Species and A to Zeppelin (The unauthorized story of LZ and a couple of others.

They have a lot of the same footage on some, but they are great to watch all the same:-)

Hi missy!

I have that one and the following: Led Zeppelin Total Rock Review---LZ Complete Rock Case Studies, LZ The Definitive Review, LZ In Their Own Words and LZ Up Close and Personal, LZ Origin of The Species and A to Zeppelin (The unauthorized story of LZ and a couple of others.

They have a lot of the same footage on some, but they are great to watch all the same:-)

So would you say they are worth parting with your wonga then ? Which out of the ones you have would be the one to get ??

Thanks

Hi Deborah!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Amazon only has 2 copies left so I wanted to decide asap. I can't understand why the 2 reviews are poor as it sounds like a nice set. No matter, I definitely trust your opinion on anything Zeppelin. Looks like today Amazon will make a little more money, --like they need it, lol.

Thanks a lot,

missy

P.S. Off Topic: I saw your pictures of the Led Zeppelin framed artwork over in the collection thread. They are stunning, gorgeous, beautiful, and I could go on and on...... What a true blue fan you are. :) missy

So would you say they are worth parting with your wonga then ? Which out of the ones you have would be the one to get ??

Thanks

Well worth it!! I like them all, but Celebration Day is at the top of the list along with In Their Own words. Putting them on the big screen with a great sound system is as close as I will get to take in the visual and musical sound, and I enjoy these quite often :)

Hi Deborah!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. Amazon only has 2 copies left so I wanted to decide asap. I can't understand why the 2 reviews are poor as it sounds like a nice set. No matter, I definitely trust your opinion on anything Zeppelin. Looks like today Amazon will make a little more money, --like they need it, lol.

Thanks a lot,

missy

P.S. Off Topic: I saw your pictures of the Led Zeppelin framed artwork over in the collection thread. They are stunning, gorgeous, beautiful, and I could go on and on...... What a true blue fan you are. :) missy

It is a great addition to have. You can get a lot of them from Best Buy as well, they are usually back ordered so it can take a few weeks, but worth it :)

Thank you for the kind comments. I am very fortunate to own these and remember that every time I look at them.

Well worth it!! I like them all, but Celebration Day is at the top of the list along with In Their Own words. Putting them on the big screen with a great sound system is as close as I will get to take in the visual and musical sound, and I enjoy these quite often :)

Thanks, might have a look :)

Thanks, might have a look :)

leddy,

I think you may want to check fairly soon if you order. There are only 2 copies left in stock on Amazon over here. That is, unless you're a fan of

the ebay route. I'm looking forward to getting mine sometime next week in the mail. Maybe I could post a review somewhere. Is there a place on

the site where you can post reviews of Zeppelin product? Oh, no. Not again. Another question. What is my problem?? ..........:) missy

leddy,

I think you may want to check fairly soon if you order. There are only 2 copies left in stock on Amazon over here. That is, unless you're a fan of

the ebay route. I'm looking forward to getting mine sometime next week in the mail. Maybe I could post a review somewhere. Is there a place on

the site where you can post reviews of Zeppelin product? Oh, no. Not again. Another question. What is my problem?? ..........:) missy

Hi, I will wait still, but thanks, I do like the Ebay route :),

Just double check to see if there is dvd review thread thingy on search before :whistling: , enjoy it when it comes.

Hi there,

I got my copy of this double dvd "Celebration Day" over the weekend and thought I would post a quick review for anyone interested.

The Good Stuff: There are quite a few audio snippets from the boys from various radio interviews. I found it fascinating to hear what John Paul Jones sounded like speaking and his thoughts on various things etc! John Bonham is also shown very briefly on tape speaking circa 1972. The radio spots are sprinkled here and there throughout the dvd. Also, there is a musician (can't recall name) who demonstares exactly how to play certain Zepp songs or riffs if you are into that. Whoosh.... those sections went right over my head, but some may find it to be a nice plus.

The Less Good Stuff: For 2 dvds you get a little over 2 hours and you will see mostly footage that is taken from the 2003 dvd set that was produced by Jimmy Page and Dick Carruthers** There are some still shots scattered there too. There was nothing from any show other than those represented on the 2003 dvd. Almost the entire dvd is composed of reviews of their studio albums from selected music journalists, critics, former publicists, session musicians, etc. That was okay, as I like reviews and most were pretty spot on IMO. --but they gave ITOD a real thumping (mostly).

The Even Less Good Stuff There is a 128 page book that comes with this written by Bob Carruthers.** While the book has some nice color pics of the players and the text does cover the history of the band , --he doesn't source much,-- if any information. There is a very opinionated, subjective take on each of their tracks for the studio albums. He heaps praise in some places you'd expect, but then dismisses other material as being totally lifted. I didn't like that. Also, he does a track by track review of every song until we get to "In through the Out Door". There he is dismissive and does not review a SINGLE song from this album. And yet he does go on to do a track by track review for "Coda." What?? I don't know what the deal is,-- but the lack of a proper review of ITTOD tracks is a glaring omission in my eyes.

** The author Bob Carruthers may be related to Dick Carruthers? I just found that interesting since that might explain the all the footage from the 2003 dvd that was on this dvd documentary.

Overall, I'd still give this a "buy" rating of B+ for the radio snippets alone of the band. Hope that helps anyone deciding!........:) missy

Archived