How old do you have to be?

I first listened to Led Zeppelin when I was 5 years old (I'm now 38). I had older brothers who turned me on. Obviously things were different back then... rock music was much more popular. I think it's a rite of passage for kids to be obsessed with Led Zeppelin. I have a 12 year old nephew who is going through his Led Zeppelin obsession phase right now... he's just bought an Epiphone sunburst Led Paul and he has Led Zeppelin posters all over his room. Some things never change.

I think it's a rite of passage for kids to be obsessed with Led Zeppelin.

Perhaps but I've definitely seen it with people regarding The Doors, especially those in their late teens and early 20s (both male and female).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 17 now and i'm in a sort of a Zep worshiping period. It's just fascinating how Jimmy can make such aparently simple riffs sound so cool and be so hard to play. It's undoubtfully the greatest rock band ever, and i'm committed to playing Black Dog close to their level some day :)). It makes me sad i didn't like them at first. Plant's unusual style aside( who was even fired from Band of Joy because the manager thought he couldn't sing...... he must have also committed suicide after Led Zep I was released), their music was so strange compared to Ozzy and Deep Purple(what i was listening back then) that i just couldn't get it. Obviously, the first song i liked was Moby Dick (no vocals or riffs). However,soon after I got the hang of it, a whole universe of music opened and Led Zeppelin became No.1 on my band list. No other band has reached Zep's skill, not even Pink Floyd or Queen. It just leaves me Dazed and Confused every time i'm listening it. Their chemistry and music was truly, unique.

I think it has a lot less to do with age and lot more to do with who you are around and what you are exposed to, musically. If not for my parents music, and less of my friends, I am not sure where I would be musically. Doubtful that I would be on this forum right now.

• 2 weeks later...

As long as there's Classic Rock radio playing their songs into the ground day in and day out there will always be Led Zeppelin fans.

I'll agree with you there.

I'm 17, and I grew up listening to Led Zeppelin. If I go on to have children, I'll be bringing them up on Zep and other classic rock. I don't think there's such thing as an 'average age' when it comes to the band. :)

Archived