The X Games

Jahfin

The Bleacher Report website has a cool retrospective of X Games wipeouts past.

25 Craziest X Games Wipeouts

By Ed Novelo

revisedpedro_crop_650x440.jpg

I'm having second thoughts...

Don't look now, but X Games 17 is just a couple days away, and that undoubtedly means we'll be seeing a whole new set of thrills and spills along the way.

This year's games will surely be as "extreme" as ever, so I thought I'd take a look at some of the more memorable crashes from years past. I'll even throw in some crashes from the Winter X-Games just for the hell of it.

You know your bloodlust is insatiable—don't deny it.

So here we go. The following is the 25 Craziest X Games Wipeouts.

Note: None of the following people died as a result of these crashes.

Note: None of the following people died as a result of these crashes.

It's only a matter of time. I was there in person for the Travis Pastrana, Danny Way, and some of the other crashes. Not a pleasant thing to witness. I couldn't imagine being a parent to one of these extreme athletes...it must be torture. Especially the motorcycle tricksters and the skateboard"big air" competitors.

X Games 13 was bad enough...every day was filled with some horrific spills...but the final straw as far as I'm concerned was X Games 15...things went too far. The Big Air skateboard event was just wrong on so many levels, not least of which is that skateboards are not made to handle such huge ramps and the speed attained on them.

After X Games 15, I refused to attend any more X Games...it was getting too dangerous, and I don't want to see someome die.

After X Games 15, I refused to attend any more X Games...it was getting too dangerous, and I don't want to see someome die.

Nor do I but the imminent danger is obviously a huge part of the appeal. They're not called "extreme" sports for nothing. It definitely makes for more compelling viewing than traditional sports. One of the hairiest things I was ever witness to was the street luge in the early years of the X Games.

Pastrana was supposed to make his NASCAR debut tonight @ Indianapolis Raceway Park, but fractured his foot/ankle on Thursday. I guess he is not very serious about racing at that level, if he was going to do X games on the same weekend. I heard he still may attempt to compete in the X games on Sunday, even with the damaged stick.

Archived