Telegram from 1971

jayare

I collected this telegram in 1971. Yesterday I dug it out of my files after I got this message about a 1969 Led Zeppelon moment from a good friend and drummer Bert Hamer from Guelph ON. In Bert's own words.....

" I actually opened for Led Zeppelin in Kitchener ON with my band Copper Penny in Nov 1969. I think it was their first NA tour. We didn't even know who the hell they were. The ticket price was $3.50 and only 150 university students showed up at this big arena. They used our PA equipment. Crazy! I have a poster of the concert, just a piece of cheap red art paper with hand stamped lettering, no photo. Our sound guy took them off the wall after the concert and now they're worth big bucks to collectors."

If anyone who reads this forum can offer any additional information or photos concerning the Kitchener concert or knows anything about this telegram it would be greatly appreciated. jayare

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/jayaretoo/LedZeppelin-1.jpg

....Hello Jayare, and thank you for this wonderful contribution.....Guelph and Kitchener, these two cities are forever immortalized in heart as they are part of my upbringing with The Mighty Zep...

Here is a post that would interest you:

Here is another link from U. of Waterloo archives...

Led Zeppelin was “the best rock ever to be held in this arena,” says Douglas Fisher, writing for the University of Waterloo student newspaper, The Chevron, on November 7, 1969. Led Zeppelin had played the local hockey rink, The Kitchener Auditorium a few days earlier, on November 4, 1969.

Link:

http://www.briangardiner.ca/rambleon/?tag=kitchener

for now...

• 5 months later...

I collected this telegram in 1971. Yesterday I dug it out of my files after I got this message about a 1969 Led Zeppelon moment from a good friend and drummer Bert Hamer from Guelph ON. In Bert's own words.....

" I actually opened for Led Zeppelin in Kitchener ON with my band Copper Penny in Nov 1969. I think it was their first NA tour. We didn't even know who the hell they were. The ticket price was $3.50 and only 150 university students showed up at this big arena. They used our PA equipment. Crazy! I have a poster of the concert, just a piece of cheap red art paper with hand stamped lettering, no photo. Our sound guy took them off the wall after the concert and now they're worth big bucks to collectors."

If anyone who reads this forum can offer any additional information or photos concerning the Kitchener concert or knows anything about this telegram it would be greatly appreciated. jayare

http://i1114.photobu...dZeppelin-1.jpg

Well, I'm the sound guy but I'd like to correct a few things ... we did know who they were and I had the first two albums. There were about 2,000 at that concert and they did not use our PA (some have said this to me but it isn't true) I believe they are remembering the Chuck Berry/Del Shannon/Brian Hyland gig from 1971. Led Zeppelin used WEM columns for their PA. I have now located the SECOND poster of that November 1969 gig with Led Zeppelin ... I took 2 at the end of the gig.

The suggestion that, by Nov 69, anyone who knew anything about serious music wouldn't have known 'who the hell' LZ were is frankly preposterous - even in Canada.

Everyone knew who Zep was, and that's why so many local musicians went to that gig ...

One more thing, their stage/equipment setup was sparse. Before their set they didn't have much or any stage lighting, so I asked one of their roadies if they would like to use my lighting system for their set. They said no, but they did have 2 follow spots high up in the seat exits.

Thanks for posting. Attached is an ad with JP endorsing ARP.

post-5-0-34455700-1318179857_thumb.jpg

The ARP endorsement published in various magazines was the first thing that came to mind. However, I don't think Jimmy moved from Pangbourne to Plumpton until 1972 so I suspect the telegram actually dates sometime between '72 and Spring 1974.

One more thing, their stage/equipment setup was sparse. Before their set they didn't have much or any stage lighting, so I asked one of their roadies if they would like to use my lighting system for their set. They said no, but they did have 2 follow spots high up in the seat exits.

...and still one more thing...where did Zeppelin stayed that night after the concert,,,return to T.O.? or Kit..

tks..

...and still one more thing...where did Zeppelin stayed that night after the concert,,,return to T.O.? or Kit..

tks..

Their next gig was Kansas City, I think on the 5th? I would imagine they drove back to Toronto and stayed there and got a plane to Kansas City in the morning.

I have a pic of Zeppelin from November 2, 1969 (2 days before the Kitchener one) in Toronto and who ever took the photo also said that they were using WEM PA columns.

...Thank you ever so much for sharing your memories from my City of Youth with Zeppelin, if that is a new photo from T.O., perhaps we can see it...

also as you may know there was some sort of documentary to be made of the Kitchener Concert as per Official Timeline Here...(I don't have any update)

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/node/460/6906#comment-6906

...Thank you ever so much for sharing your memories from my City of Youth with Zeppelin, if that is a new photo from T.O., perhaps we can see it...

also as you may know there was some sort of documentary to be made of the Kitchener Concert as per Official Timeline Here...(I don't have any update)

http://www.ledzeppel...06#comment-6906

Not a new photo that you haven't seen before ... it is also in the timeline.

69.jpg

http://www.ledzeppel...06#comment-6906

PlanetPage, I think I have seen that reference to a proposed documentary. The photographers of that night are pretty tight with the use of their photos, I have a 16" x 20" of Zep (it's in the Timeline) that I bought from a seller at a London, Ontario record show 6 years ago.

PlanetPage, I think I have seen that reference to a proposed documentary. The photographers of that night are pretty tight with the use of their photos, I have a 16" x 20" of Zep (it's in the Timeline) that I bought from a seller at a London, Ontario record show 6 years ago.

Mister D, Thank you for your kind and informative replies...I have seen the Timeline Photographs, I will keep up to date for any further new details re. this K-Concert...

...For now, some photographic images of the venue Kitchener Memorial Aud...from Wilfred Lauriel Univ. archives...

.... a closer look at Kitchener Memorial Aud. (copyright status is unknown...Link Only)

http://images.ouront...ener%2C+Ont.%29

Archived