COACHELLA 2012: Let the Festival Season Begin!

Strider

Well, IT'S here...the 2012 Coachella Music Festival begins this weekend, and as far as I am concerned, it marks the official beginning of the Festival season. Bonnaroo and Lollapalooza are coming up.

But Coachella is first.

Coachella is now in its 13th year, and has become so huge that it now encompasses two consecutive Fri-Sun weekends, with the same line-up playing both times. Then there's the country-oriented Stagecoach Fest, which takes place the weekend after Coachella, which makes three consecutive weeks that the Polo Grounds will host concerts.

I don't like the fact that Goldenvoice makes you buy the entire three day package...you can't just pick one day. So I won't be going this year, unless a freebie drops in my lap. But obviously, they don't need my money, as most of the tickets sold out before a line-up was even confirmed, and when the rest of the tix went on sale earlier this year, they sold out both weekends in a snap.

It just further confirms how useless it is to rant about today's kids and today's music...YOU may think rock is dead and today's generation sucks, but obviously, today's kids seem to like their music fine and two sold out weekends of Coachella is proof THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT!

As usual with Coachella, there are some reunions...Pulp(YES!), Mazzy Star(double-YES!), At the Drive In, the Hives. Luckily, Pulp is playing a small venue show the week inbetween their Coachella dates...at the Fox Theatre in Pomona...so I will at least have a chance to see them there.

But unless something changes, my streak of seeing every Radiohead tour since 1993 is about to end. Until now, I have never missed a time when Radiohead toured Los Angeles, so this kind of sucks that I will miss these Coachella shows. They are playing Santa Barbara tomorrow night, but I can't get away from work in time to make that show.

Anybody here going, or know somebody that is going? If you want any tips on who to see, ask and I'll give you my preferences.

Here's the line-up for the 2012 Coachella:

coachella2012.jpg

It just further confirms how useless it is to rant about today's kids and today's music...YOU may think rock is dead and today's generation sucks, but obviously, today's kids seem to like their music fine and two sold out weekends of Coachella is proof THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT!

It doesn't just go for kids, it goes for adults as well. Regarding the recent threads here about how rock is "dead", it seems that those of us that know that it isn't are in the minority. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since this is a board devoted to a band that for all intents and purposes, ended in 1980.

On a more uplifting note, the Hopscotch Festival folks will be announcing their schedule in less than one week.

Archived