blast from tha past

penthouse

Does anyone remember 'Robert Plant and the Band of Joy' Playing at the Penthouse or Surfside stop in Birminghan 1966 -1968? I have a demo record somehwere of Rob singing 'If I had a hammer' I recall once driving Rob home from a Birmingham gig to Kiddyminster. A very interesting journey........ As Rob spent the journey rolling joint, which of course i helped him to smoke.

Are you certain that it was "If I Had A Hammer", and not "Hey Joe" or "For What It's Worth"?

I think he's trying to be funny about the title. A twist on 'If I Were A Carpenter'. So far

as I know, he never cut any demos or other recordings prior to those he did for CBS at Regent Studios in London, late 1966.

I think he's trying to be funny about the title. A twist on 'If I Were A Carpenter'. So far

as I know, he never cut any demos or other recordings prior to those he did for CBS at Regent Studios in London, late 1966.

He didn't specify when the song was recorded. I can see them doing "If I Had A Hammer" -- maybe a bit too folky, but not that much worse than "Morning Dew" or "If I Were A Carpenter".

He didn't specify when the song was recorded. I can see them doing "If I Had A Hammer" -- maybe a bit too folky, but not that much worse than "Morning Dew" or "If I Were A Carpenter".

So far as I know he never set foot in a recording studio prior to late 1966. He's related that tale of being awestruck during his first demo sessions for CBS Records in London at the tender age of 18. I suppose it is possible he cut a throw away demo before then,

but who would have paid for it? He was skint, living with Maureen and her parents.

Does anyone remember 'Robert Plant and the Band of Joy' Playing at the Penthouse or Surfside stop in Birminghan 1966 -1968? I have a demo record somehwere of Rob singing 'If I had a hammer' I recall once driving Rob home from a Birmingham gig to Kiddyminster. A very interesting journey........ As Rob spent the journey rolling joint, which of course i helped him to smoke.

Is Kiddyminster a smaller version of Kidderminster?

-Mo.

Archived