vbeddow

It's a pleasant book and elegantly formatted, however there isn't any revolutionary, revelatory or even new material for those who have read the other books around. What seems strange about it is including John Varvatos' opinion of Jimmy's fashion "influence", and a rambling astrological profile; I was left wondering what those had to do with interviews directly with Jimmy Page. They seem like fanzine addenda.

It's a pleasant book and elegantly formatted, however there isn't any revolutionary, revelatory or even new material for those who have read the other books around. What seems strange about it is including John Varvatos' opinion of Jimmy's fashion "influence", and a rambling astrological profile; I was left wondering what those had to do with interviews directly with Jimmy Page. They seem like fanzine addenda.

I think that's interesting about his fashion in the book, though they should have talked to Paul Reeves who had been a friend as well as designing clothes for especially shirts for Jimmy since the 60s. I read he did not want to be interviewed for Trampled Underfoot/Oral History according Barney.

I am enjoying the book, though while the part of 'divorce in 1975' is confusing (I think this is during his sort of separation with Charlotte in the mid 70s thoug they weren't married), I am really enjoying the book. There are small details that you would miss if you don't read the interviews close enough to make the book worth it. I also love that the story Jimmy tells when he took 6 year old Scarlet to see Song Remains the Same is in there. It shows how close they were and are. :D

I also love what Paul Rodgers and Chris Dreja say too and that's nowhere else but this book.

Glad you enjoyed. Personally I was hoping for more & new from Page rather than others comments about him. Regarding his fashion, I guess I feel that his style was so extraordinary that hearing John Varvatos commending it seems ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, newbie here.

I've worked in book publishing for many years and I was very surprised to not see an index in this book as it is the usual practice to have them in NF titles. Also, having studied astrology (but no expert) I felt that portion of the book could have been fleshed out better, but that's just a personal interest I admit. I never knew anything about Page personally so it was all new to me.

Light and Shade doesn't have the feel of a definitive work, but I defer to those who know the band and their history better than I do.

• 2 months later...

Be part of the audience of a live taping of the Apple Meet the Author series featuring Brad Tolinski, editor-in-chief of Guitar World magazine, as he discusses his book, "Light & Shade: Conversations With Jimmy Page".

This event takes place at the Apple Store in SoHo in New York City on Wednesday, February 13 at 7 p.m. Space is limited so get there early!

Apple Store

SoHo

103 Prince Street

New York, NY 10012

(212) 226-3126

About "Light & Shade: Conversations With Jimmy Page": This "oral autobiography" of Jimmy Page, the intensely private mastermind behind LED ZEPPELIN — one of the most enduring bands in rock history — is the most complete and revelatory portrait of the legendary guitarist ever published.

More than 30 years after disbanding in 1980, LED ZEPPELIN continues to be celebrated for its artistic achievements, broad musical influence, and commercial success. The band's notorious exploits have been chronicled in bestselling books; yet none of the individual members of the band has penned a memoir nor cooperated to any degree with the press or a biographer. In "Light & Shade", Jimmy Page, the band's most reticent and inscrutable member, opens up to journalist Brad Tolinski, for the first time exploring his remarkable life and musical journey in great depth and intimate detail.

• 1 month later...

So I've set aside a chilly Sunday afternoon to read Brad's book. I figured this book would be sunshine, unicorns and rainbows and sure enough on page freaking one there's this..."his new website, jimmypage.com, with its smart graphics and informative content, should satisfy the cravings of his worldwide legion of fans to know what he's up to". Yeah, right. It could be a long slog to get through this one.

When I read this book I hadn't thought or read anything about the band since the 70s so initially much in it struck me as new information. What caught my attention at the beginning of the book, as the website comment caught yours, was the disclosure that content skirted anything that might draw legal attention and the rules for interviewing Page. So at the onset you are told that the book is a compromise of sorts.

Archived