Who plays mandolin in "Hey Hey What Can I Do?"

ToxxicaL

^ Correct, the first time Jimmy picked up a mandolin was for Battle of Evermore and JPJ had to teach him the chords. All mandolin up until IV was JPJ and 90% from IV - PG is JPJ as well.

Jimmy Page was the in demand London session go-to guitarist from about 1963 - 1968. Jimmy Page was already an accomplished Guitar Player way before he joined the Yardbirds and then formed Led Zeppelin. I highly doubt that John Paul Jones had to teach Jimmy Page any chords on the mandolin. Jimmy even played the banjo on "Gallows Pole". I do not think that John Paul Jones had to teach Jimmy Page on any instrument that has strings, a body (acoustic or electric) and a guitar neck.

Jimmy Page was the in demand London session go-to guitarist from about 1963 - 1968. Jimmy Page was already an accomplished Guitar Player way before he joined the Yardbirds and then formed Led Zeppelin. I highly doubt that John Paul Jones had to teach Jimmy Page any chords on the mandolin. Jimmy even played the banjo on "Gallows Pole". I do not think that John Paul Jones had to teach Jimmy Page on any instrument that has strings, a body (acoustic or electric) and a guitar neck.

A mandolin is a very different instrument to a guitar, you can't just pick one up and play it well. If JPJ was already proficient at mandolin (which he was) then it's quite probable he would have shown page the basic chords to help him bypass a lot of effort. That's why musicians do when they hang out recording

JPJ did a lot of things he doesn't announce, like the slide guitar in celebration day

Archived