Jimmy on JPJ.. any links or references?

I have always struggled to find any articles or interviews where Jimmy comments on the experience of having a musical wingman like JPJ. I have seen several articles praising John Bonham, which only makes sense given his passing, and one would assume Jimmy shares a kinship (no matter how challenging it may be) with Robert, but I have always wondered what Jimmy really thought about the unique talents of Mr. Jones. His bass lines, arrangements, keyboard contributions and overall musical diversity, along with a non-flashy and solid presence on stage and in the studio, made him what I think was the perfect compliment to Jimmy's amazing lead and rhythm work. As a former bass player for the Yardbirds, I wonder how Jimmy truly rates JPJ.. as I think most of us are blown away by the amazing talents of all 4.

In the beginning of the formation of the New Yardbirds, (depending on which account you believe), John Paul Jones' wife, Moe, saw an ad in one of the London rock papers or magazines and told John Paul that she read that Jimmy Page was trying to put together a group and that Jonesy should give Jimmy a ring. So Jonesy called Jimmy and asked him if he had found a bass player yet. Jimmy said no. Jimmy was going to see about a singer that was recommended to him and this singer might know a drummer. He told Jonesy that he would get in touch with him when he returned. (Something along those lines and like I said, depending on what account you tend to believe).

Jimmy said this about Jonesy around that same time. (I am paraphrasing): "John Paul Jones is an incredible player and arranger. He didn't need me for a job. He had some quite brilliant ideas and thought that we could do them together. I jumped at the chance of getting him."

This is a great topic, one that I have wondered about myself.

I wish an interviewer would ask Jimmy specific questions about Jones. Things like "what did you like about JPJ's bass playing? What do you think makes a good bass player?"

Like you said, he has gone into great detail about Bonzo, but there is scant commentary from Jimmy about JPJ's contributions. I agree that Jimmy, as a former bass player, would have interesting insite into what he thinks of JPJ's playing.

Someone just needs to ask him directly...I'm talking to you, Brad Tolinski!

Archived