In which year was taken this photo?

Dano59

(quick thread de-rail) - Dazedjeffy, do you know exactly when Bonzo first used the Maple kit? I see a photo from January 15th where he is not playing it. First picture I see of Maple kit is Jan. 23rd, somewhere in-between I assume?

(quick thread de-rail) - Dazedjeffy, do you know exactly when Bonzo first used the Maple kit? I see a photo from January 15th where he is not playing it. First picture I see of Maple kit is Jan. 23rd, somewhere in-between I assume?

The best I could say is mid-January 1969. There is just not enough photographic evidence to prove a specific date at the moment. Zeppelin played their first 5 dates in the US with Vanilla Fudge and Bonham fell in love with Carmine Appice Ludwig kit, who then allegedly called up Ludwig to get Bonham an endorsement. Pictures show that he still used the Black Diamond Pearl drumkit at the Whisky and the Fillmore West dates. Pure conjecture, however, I imagine that the got shipped to Bonham rather quick to whatever town they were in, probably Detroit, as the few pictures that I have of those dates, looks like it shows the Maple kit.

January 15, 1969 was at the Memorial Union in Iowa City, IA. Bonham used the drumkit of Will Parsons, the drummer for the opening (and local) band Mother Blues, because there was a severe ice storm that day. The area around the Memorial Union is quite hilly and the truck containing Zeppelin's gear could not load in.

Archived