Have You Ever Been Scared at a Gig?

Charles J. White

The mid to late 80's were a violent time for shows in the NYC area. Security ( the yellow meanies we called them), killed a dude at a dead concert at Giants stadium . I was at that show, it was open season on dead heads for security. They weren't that brave at the metal shows, although a buddy of mine got a good beat down at the Dio show at the Meadowlands in '85. ......cars were flipped over and burned at the Judas Priest show at the Meadowlands in '86. But the scariest I have ever been at a show was AC / DC at the Nassau Coliseum, general admission on the floor, 1986....lots of blood, lots of fights.

Mid-80's, I was second row for ACDC in Philly. There were no chairs so everybody was pushing forward and since it was so tight, fights kept breaking out around me. I was around 14 at the time. Also, I went to Woodstock 94 and we were right up front for the first act, Joe Cocker. After awhile I noticed how tight it was getting around us. I looked up the hill and saw 1000's of people coming in. I knew it was going to get much worse so we moved more to the back. Glad we did. We were so much more comfortable.

Yea......Woodstock '94 was fuckin nuts.....no fights that I saw, but sooooo many people.

My ex's little brother and his buddy needed a driver to go to a Black Sabbath concert at the Orange Show Fairgrounds in 1976 so I took them. They took off and left me on my own so I decided to see how close I could get to the stage. I got pretty close but the body heat and close quarters to everyone left me claustophobic and I thought I was gonna pass out. I did push my self to the back and went and sat in the stands the rest of the show.

I also went to the Beach Boys/Chicago show at the Anaheim Stadium. I wasn't afraid for myself as I was on the field but everyone in the second level was rocking and jumping around so much the whole level ended up moving like a earthquake was going on. The band stopped singing in the middle of a song and the authorities had to ask people to stop jumping around. You could see the whole level waving back and forth. It was kinda scary seeing that.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys new to the board and sorry to bump up a two year old thread ;) In 1978 I saw Parliament/Funkadelic and Bootsy Collins at MSG. Don't ask. The guys I worked with had an extra ticket and were gently coercing me to go. I was quite reluctant because I was going to ummm.....stand out quite a bit. My co-workers said Parliament was the "Black KISS". Ok fine. Back in the 70's you saw every band that came to the Palladium or the Garden anyway so what the heck. So we go in and Bootsy opens up the show. He playing along funkily and everyone is having a great time. About 20 minutes into his set, two rival gangs start going at it on the floor of the Garden. I mean these guys were badasses. Almost on que, the NYPD comes charging out of the aisle where the Knicks and Bruno Sammartino always came out. They were dressed in full riot gear and started swinging their nightsticks with great vigor. After about 30 minutes they cleared the floor and Bootsy finishes his set. Funkadelic is up next and their guitar player Michael Hampton is just KILLING it. Again, about 20 minutes into the set, two different gangs erupt into an orgy of violence on the floor. Again, the NYPD riot squad came right out and beat them into submission. Order was restored and Funkadelic played an amazing set. By this time, even though I fancied myself a pretty tough kid from Queens, I was scared silly. So Parliament comes out, they have this huge spaceship tied to the top of the Garden. They weren't on for more than 5 minutes when I hear a blood curdling scream to my right. I turn quickly just in time to see a guys crumbled body land about 10 seats down from me. They had thrown him off the balcony. That was it. I bid my compatriots adieu and exited into the night. I took a lot of grief at work for leaving early but it was well worth it.,

Mid-80's, I was second row for ACDC in Philly. There were no chairs so everybody was pushing forward and since it was so tight, fights kept breaking out around me. I was around 14 at the time. Also, I went to Woodstock 94 and we were right up front for the first act, Joe Cocker. After awhile I noticed how tight it was getting around us. I looked up the hill and saw 1000's of people coming in. I knew it was going to get much worse so we moved more to the back. Glad we did. We were so much more comfortable.

Sweet, did you see Primus? One of their best performances IMO.

Nirvana Chicago's Aragon Ballroom. On the bill: Jawbreaker, Mudhoney, & Nirvana & Bob Catgothwait was the MC between sets. Also Jane's Addiction 15 March 1991 Brixton Academy with Primus opening up. INSANE!

Hell yea, Primus sucks! ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived