Led Zeppelin II

Led Zeppelin II is the ultimate headphone album! Page is such an underrated  producer. There is stuff in there that can only be heard on headphones. The freak-out part of WLL is really cool, but so is the whole album. It's not easy playing air guitar with headphones on, but I can't help it when that HB solo takes off. Amazing, even after hearing it for the millionth time! It is interesting how MD segues into BIOH almost like HB does into LLM. Speaking of LLM, Page may not have liked it, but I love Plant's stuttering at the end. The dirty sounding guitar on LS, the riff on MD, Page really shines. But he does on each album. What I found listening to this album on headphones is that Page put some of his guitar parts low in the mix. He knew what talent he had in the band to let them be out front on certain parts. So put on the headphones and enjoy this great album all the way through, no need to fast forward. You might miss something you never noticed before.

Inspired by this I had a listen to the first five tracks yesterday (on headphones, first CD version). I think reverb is an important part of the album's sound; Plant's voice has quite a lot of it. I was also surprised by the space JPJ's bass had on Lemon Song. Like you said Page let the band shine, he didn't splurge guitar all over the place on that one, even if it sounds like that. It's really dynamic and disciplined. On Heartbreaker I never realized there were three guitar tracks when the band comes in after the solo. So thanks for the idea. I don't often listen to music with concentration like this as I used to.

Archived