How The West Was Won Remaster 2018

Mr_K

1 hour ago, 1998giventofly said:

This thread should have what you're looking for, makes for very interesting reading.

Yes, this is good reading. Thanks for the suggestion.

What I'm looking for is a more technical discussion of what the heck happened between the first release of HTWWW and the 2018 remaster. The 2018 remaster rocks - the original sounds to me - well, I don't want to put into print what I thought of it - but I do want to know what JP did to make this version much more "alive" than the original. How did JP achieve a richer sound this time? New sources, new technology, new ears?

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Mr_K said:

Yes, this is good reading. Thanks for the suggestion.

What I'm looking for is a more technical discussion of what the heck happened between the first release of HTWWW and the 2018 remaster. The 2018 remaster rocks - the original sounds to me - well, I don't want to put into print what I thought of it - but I do want to know what JP did to make this version much more "alive" than the original. How did JP achieve a richer sound this time? New sources, new technology, new ears?

Thanks!

So from the limited knowledge I have from working on music myself, I think the biggest difference here was the fact that it wasn't compressed to high heaven and brickwalled to the point that actual musical frequencies were being lopped off because the recording was so loud. There's no difference in the sources, it's still the master transfer that was used in 2003. Technology may have come further but I don't think there's been anything groundbreaking in terms of improving the sound here.

I think the real difference was in not over-compressing the whole thing. This way everything has room to "breathe" if you will. The best example to my ears is Jones's bass being far more distinct on the remaster, versus the muddiness of the original at times. I can pick out what his part far more easily than on the 2003 version. And just in general, the new remaster is so much more clear and crisp. 

14 hours ago, 1998giventofly said:

So from the limited knowledge I have from working on music myself, I think the biggest difference here was the fact that it wasn't compressed to high heaven and brickwalled to the point that actual musical frequencies were being lopped off because the recording was so loud. There's no difference in the sources, it's still the master transfer that was used in 2003. Technology may have come further but I don't think there's been anything groundbreaking in terms of improving the sound here.

I think the real difference was in not over-compressing the whole thing. This way everything has room to "breathe" if you will. The best example to my ears is Jones's bass being far more distinct on the remaster, versus the muddiness of the original at times. I can pick out what his part far more easily than on the 2003 version. And just in general, the new remaster is so much more clear and crisp. 

Cool! Yea, I noticed JPJ bass much clearer here. Wonder why JP didn't make it so at first release.

Listening to DAC as I write. Much better.

Thanks!