Raleigh, September 1970

Detigers09

Curious if anyone has any info on this show - it's 9/7/1970, not 4/7/1970. Browsing the tour dates, Zeppelin played Honolulu on 9/6 and then Raleigh, NC the very next night??? That's like a 10 hour flight plus you lose 5 hours. If they finished their show in Hawaii at 1 am, they wouldn't have gotten to NC until 4 pm the next day at the earliest. Absolutely insane, they should have killed Peter Grant (or whoever) for scheduling it this way. 

I've tried to do some internet sleuthing and cannot find a single mention of the Raleigh show. Not a recording, not an article, not a review, nothing. Just curious if it actually happened.

They played Raleigh on 4/8/1970, not 4/7/1970. That date was corrected a few years ago through research by Mike Tremaglio. I'm looking at his "Evenings with Led Zeppelin" book right now and there is no mention in it of any show between Honolulu on 9/6 and Boston on 9/9. I'm not sure where the Raleigh 9/7/70 date is from, and it seems unlikely for a few reasons. As you mentioned, the time to get from HI to NC very much argues against it taking place. Also, we know they played in Raleigh five months earlier, so why would they return to what is a relatively small and out of the way market instead of playing one of the bigger cities on the East Coast that was nearer to Boston, where they needed to be on 9/9? And according to a review on the main LZ.com site, the 4/8/70 show didn't even completely sell out, so why go back there again if there wasn't enough demand the first time to sell all of the tickets? Based on that, I don't see a second Raleigh show having taken place in September.

Edited by SteveZ98

I don't know how many times I have to say this but I'll keep saying it until I am blue in the face:

DO NOT TRUST WIKIPEDIA!!! Especially when it comes to Led Zeppelin. Why would you go to wikishitia for Led Zeppelin dates when Sam Webmaster has all the concert chronology right here on this site?