d'yer mak'er + me love by sean kingston

dazednconfuzed

hey im new here but i just thought it was my duty as a zeppelin worshipper to tell ppl. i dont know if you guys already knew this or not but in Sean Kingston's recent song "Me Love", he stole the Ohh, oh oh oh oh ohhhhh, part from D'yer Mak'er. its really similar. im not a lawyer but it sounds like copyright infringement to me. do you guys know if they are taking any legal actions or anything about this?

hey im new here but i just thought it was my duty as a zeppelin worshipper to tell ppl. i dont know if you guys already knew this or not but in Sean Kingston's recent song "Me Love", he stole the Ohh, oh oh oh oh ohhhhh, part from D'yer Mak'er. its really similar. im not a lawyer but it sounds like copyright infringement to me. do you guys know if they are taking any legal actions or anything about this?

1. We know about it.

2. It's called "sampling", which is perfectly legal provided the artist doing the sampling got permission to use it. Led Zeppelin can't sue unless they can prove the sample was stolen and the band was given no credit. Then they'd be due royalties from the sales of the song.

In this day and age, I'm guessing that the interpolation was cleared and paid for. It's not a sample, as some have said (as a sample involves using the actual song and an interpolation is an artist using a vocal or musical idea from another artist). An example of this would be Ice Cube's "Bop Gun" which uses an idea from George Clinton's "One Nation Under A Groove".

Anyway, I don't plan on purchasing the CD but if you own it, look in the credits. It should say "Contains an interpolation of Led Zeppelin's 'D'yer Mak'er' from the album Houses of the Holy, courtesy Atlantic Records/Superhype Publishing" or something along those lines.

I checked at ASCAP when the song first came out and the band is credited as writers. Rest assured they are probably getting the lions share of the royalties from this track.

On a lighter not everything Sean Kingston does is interpolated bullshit. Total garbage.

ASCAP title search

Check it out for yourself. It appears they are the only writers credited on this track. In this type of music it is very, very, very common to use the music and expect the person from whom you have stolen to take 50%. I think the management behind Sean Kingston didn't realize that most classic rock legends never approve these types of uses and as a result lost the whole song because they took first and asked questions later. It never ceases to amaze me how dim witted pop managers are. They aren't the best anf the brightest; they are the guys with the best coke.

Dude's affiliated with Epic/Sony/BMG. I'm guessing they knew what they were doing, in so much that they got a 17 year old major radio play with this interpolation. It's more than likely a cost vs. reward situation in that they feel the exposure from the song will only enhance his current and future worth.

Dude's affiliated with Epic/Sony/BMG. I'm guessing they knew what they were doing, in so much that they got a 17 year old major radio play with this interpolation. It's more than likely a cost vs. reward situation in that they feel the exposure from the song will only enhance his current and future worth.

Trust me, I deal with those companies all the time; they are as clueless as they are short sighted. Never underestimate the ability of the majors to get it wrong.

It's really his publishers problem more than it is the labels problem. The label pays through to the publishers for mechanicals. Their goal is to get the lowest rate possible through controlled composition clauses with the artist/writer however when they don't control the writer they have to pay through at full stat which is still only $0.091 USD per song per unit usually with some kind of advance, I'd guess on @ 250,000 units for something like this with quarterly accountings thereafter. That's only $22,750 up front for that one song.

The bigger problem for the label is that they now have an unfriendly publisher to deal with which makes synchronization uses very difficult, as Superhype (zeppelin) have final say on all sync uses. That means they can't sell a video ringer, DVD, music video, commercial, film trailer, television use, movie use, ANYTHING, without approval from Zeppelin's publisher.

On a lighter not everything Sean Kingston does is interpolated bullshit. Total garbage.

i second that, the first time i heard kingstons song on the radio it pained me that music as crappy as that could even be associated with zeppelin. the worst part of it is that all these stupid ppl go around singing the song and they dont even know that it is stolen from zeppelin

Archived