Rare Led Zeppelin Shirt with a Wizard

A few years ago I asked a question about this awesome Led Zeppelin shirt that was worn on "That 70s Show" with the character Hyde. I asked if it was a real shirt and it seemed at the time the consensus was it was not real. However, I was just watching the 1979 movie "Over the Edge" and a kid is seen wearing the shirt 1:04:50 into the movie. I just thought I would share. It would be incredible if they ever reprinted this shirt

image.thumb.jpeg.1fde9722d9f09d9848b8859e208ab895.jpegimage.jpeg.4023032d943040e6b4c58f6fd3604be8.jpegimage.png.e99e03f15df653d2c1b76f605d61c8a0.png

I had never heard of this movie so I looked it up.  Looks like it had a limited theatrical release in spring 1979.  The soundtrack looks pretty good for 1979.  Some Cheap Trick, some Cars, Little Feat, Van Halen's cover of the Kinks, and - Teenage Lobotomy by the Ramones.

2 hours ago, John M said:

I had never heard of this movie so I looked it up.  Looks like it had a limited theatrical release in spring 1979.  The soundtrack looks pretty good for 1979.  Some Cheap Trick, some Cars, Little Feat, Van Halen's cover of the Kinks, and - Teenage Lobotomy by the Ramones.

It's a really good teenage rebellion movie, or at least it was enjoyable when I was that age. I believe it's also Matt Dillon's first movie. Nice catch by Robbie to notice Hyde's tshirt in the movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember this shirt from the head shop Maharaja’s in downtown St. Paul, Mn in the mid 80’s. We used to go there constantly to buy Zeppelin ephemera as the store was almost exclusively Zeppelin and Pink Floyd themed. 

There was another wizard shirt that was more common that was a MythGem release that I bought there at that time. The wizard on that shirt was a more extravagant illustration than the one pictured here though.

i also bought a hanging Zeppelin mobile, a Jimmy Page poster featuring the Stormtrooper stage wear, and Knebworth Live poster featuring a collage of photographs from the shows.

I don’t believe Maharajas still exists, but I’ve often wondered what happened to all that dead stock Zep stuff. There were literally thousands of posters, pins, patches, and T-shirts there. 

This is back when a Zep patch would often share real estate with Iron Maiden, or early thrash bands on a hesher stoner’s denim jacket.