Grammy Awards show threatened by writers' strike

The Pagemeister

Grammy Awards show threatened by writers' strike

The Grammy Awards, the U.S. music industry's big blowout, are set to become the next casualty of the Hollywood writers' strike.

A spokesman for the Writers Guild of America, representing film and TV writers who have been on strike since Nov. 5, said Tuesday it will likely bar its members from writing for the Grammy telecast.

Grammy organizers haven't asked for a waiver allowing writers to work on the show, but if they did, it is unlikely to be granted, said WGA spokesman Gregg Mitchell.

The announcement comes just days after another awards show, the Golden Globes, second only to the Oscars in glitz, was reduced to a bland news conference because writers were barred from working for the Sunday night telecast.

The Academy Awards face the same dilemma.

The U.S. Recording Academy had no comment on news that it might need to go ahead without writers.

The WGA has not said whether it will picket the event, scheduled for Feb. 10.

Meanwhile, the major U.S. studios are settling in for a long strike.

Beginning last Friday, five American TV networks cancelled dozens of contracts, laying off producers and directors, as well as writers on the picket line.

Trade publication Variety reports more than 75 people have been laid off since Friday at Warner Bros. TV, CBS Paramount Network TV, Universal Media Studios, 20th Century Fox TV and ABC Studios.

Most of the staff affected are writers, producers and directors who are developing ideas or waiting for new projects.

The studios may be ending contracts on the theory that many new shows won't be needed because of a backlog of undeveloped material. They also will save money.

The WGA objected to the layoffs, saying the networks may ultimately miss the talented staff they have let go.

Members of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers are "alienating the very creative force that has made entertainment one of the most successful businesses in the country," the union said.

The writers are striking to get a deal for compensation for their work when it is broadcast over the internet, cell phones or other electronic media.

I'm not sure if this is a plus or a minus. The Grammys are usually full of crap that's spoon-fed to the masses by the recording industry. Very rarely is there any talent involved.

You may have to dig deep into some of the categories but there's usually some very deserving artists nominated. This year that would be Wilco, Steve Earle, Bettye LaVette, Peter Case and several others.

I dont' get it....why cant the actor's just be spontaneous...or even do a bit of writing, for a plan, for themselves ?

Makes it look to me like actors are idiots....it's not like the 'writing' for these shows takes ROCKET SCIENTISTS !!!! Geez....

I so agree Joel. this is fu**ing ridiculous!!

And for the Grammy's, could they not simply ANNOUNCE the nominees and winners. Good lord!

And now that R&A have a nomination, I could watch it.

Screw that friggen union. :o

Edited by Hotplant

I just thought they would be the nominees of most interest to members here.

Perhaps but this being the Other Bands/Music section of the board the other nominees are also well worth mentioning. I love Zep (as well as Plant/Krauss) but man doesn't live by Zep alone. At least not me.

Perhaps but this being the Other Bands/Music section of the board the other nominees are also well worth mentioning. I love Zep (as well as Plant/Krauss) but man doesn't live by Zep alone. At least not me.

Of course they're worth mentioning! Jeez! I just thought Plant/Krauss were the obvious ones to mention, because we're all interested in them in one way or another (pro or anti), in addition to all those other worthy nominees! I was just adding to your post is all, in what I thought was a friendly and humorous way!

:(

Of course they're worth mentioning! Jeez! I just thought Plant/Krauss were the obvious ones to mention, because we're all interested in them in one way or another (pro or anti), in addition to all those other worthy nominees! I was just adding to your post is all, in what I thought was a friendly and humorous way!

:(

No problem, point taken but like I said, I didn't have a list of nominees in front of me when I posted or I most certainly would have mentioned Plant/Krauss.

the very fact that the grammy's require even a single writer is what makes this all so laughable. seriously, this is an awards ceremony, no writers should be required. this is not a sitcom. the crap these people say on the awards show is mostly unfunny anyways, it's not like they're losing anything by having no writers.