Tift Merritt Tour Dates

Jahfin

TIFT MERRITT NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES ANNOUNCED!

[uK & Europe dates in May will be announced shortly.]

tiftnycTonyNelsonSmall.jpg

Sat March 1 Albany, NY Linda Norris Theater (Tift solo)

Mon March 17 Philadelphia Johnny Brenda's

Tue March 18 Northampton, MA Iron Horse

Wed March 19 New York City Mercury Lounge

Fri March 21 Alexandria, VA Birchmere

Sat March 22 Durham, NC Carolina Theatre

Fri March 28 New Orleans Parish/HOB (Tift solo)

Sat March 29 Pittsburgh Club Cafe

Sun March 30 Ashland, KY Mountain Stage / Paramount Theater

Tue April 1 Toronto El Mocambo

Wed April 2 Ann Arbor, MI Ark

Fri April 4 Chicago Schubas

Sat April 5 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon

Sun April 6 Minneapolis Cedar Cultural Center

Tues April 8 Denver Bluebird Theater

Fri April 11 Vancouver Plaza

Sat April 12 Portland Doug Fir Lounge

Sun April 13 Seattle Tractor Tavern

Tue April 15 San Francisco Great American Music Hall

Thu April 17 Los Angeles Troubadour

Fri April 18 San Diego Anthology

Sat April 19 Tucson Plush

Mon April 21 Austin Parish

Tue April 22 Dallas Cambridge Room/HOB

Thu April 24 Atlanta Five Spot

Sat April 26 Wilkesboro, NC Merlefest

With special guests:

March 17 The Super Humble Country Band

March 18 Haunt

March 21, April 4-6 The everybodyfields

March 22, April 11-19 Sara Watkins (of Nickel Creek)

March 28 Paul Sanchez

April 2 Hoots & Hellmouth

April 21-24 Naim Amor

Help spread the word:

The super fans at www.tiftmerritt.net have started a volunteer street team to distribute Tift postcards and posters to record stores, clubs / venues, cafes etc. So far at 20 strong, they're looking for one volunteer in each of these cities: London, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dublin, Kilkenny, Paris, Amsterdam, Oslo, Stockholm, Gothenberg, Malmo, New York, Washington DC, Louisville, Asheville, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Tucson, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Denver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Toronto, Ann Arbor, Pittsburgh. If interested email Phillip at preid@ec.rr.com

• 2 weeks later...

Tift will be appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Monday, February 25, the night before Another Country hits record store shelves in North America, February 26.

Another Country will also be coming out in Australia Feb. 22, Norway Feb. 25, United Kingdom & Ireland April 14, France, Germany, The Netherlands, Sweden - April - date TBA.

Another city for Merritt

The singer-songwriter, long a Raleigh resident, has a new address, a new album and a new outlook

915-20080224-013447-pic-60155731.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

Tift Merritt, now living in New York, says, 'In France, I discovered that I love writing in the city.' Her new album, 'Another Country,' contains songs she wrote during stays in Paris.

PHOTO COPYRIGHT RADHIKA CHALASANI PHOTOGRAPHY

By David Menconi, Staff writer

NEW YORK - Tift Merritt strolls toward the Hudson River in her quiet West Village neighborhood. Having moved here just a few months earlier, the North Carolina singer-songwriter is a newcomer to this tree-lined street with a century-old bohemian heritage.

With the blasé sophistication of a seasoned New Yorker, she notes the red brick compound where celebrity photographer Annie Leibovitz lives and works, and Oscar-nominated filmmaker Julian Schnabel's raspberry-colored high-rise. But her face lights up with a newcomer's awe-struck glee when she rhapsodizes about the city's cold-weather palette or points out the White Horse Tavern on Hudson Street at West 11th.

"Yeah, that's where the Village Voice was conceived, and where Dylan Thomas drank himself to death," Merritt says. Then she adds with a laugh, "We hope to avoid a similar fate."

Click here to read the rest of the article.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tift Merritt European Tour Dates

03 MAY: Kilkenny, Ireland @ Kilkenny Rhythm & Roots Festival

04 MAY: Kilkenny, Ireland @ Kilkenny Rhythm & Roots Festival

05 MAY: Maidstone, England @ Zebra Bar

07 MAY: Swansea, Wales @ Monkey

08 MAY: Bristol, England @ St Bonaventure

10 MAY: Buckingham, England @ The Radcliffe Centre

11 MAY: Edinburgh, Scotland @ Pleasance Bar

13 MAY: London, England @ Green Note, SOLD OUT

15 MAY: York, England @ National Centre For Early Music

16 MAY: Chorley, England @ St. Bedes

17 MAY: New Castle, England @ The Cluny

20 MAY: Berlin, Germany @ Quasimodo

23 MAY: Amsterdam, Netherlands @ Paradiso

24 MAY: Haren (Brussels), Belgium @ Toogenblik Club

27 MAY: Stockholm, Sweden @ Nalen

29 MAY: Göteborg, Sweden @ Storan —

30 MAY: Malmo, Sweden @ Kulturbolaget

01 JUN: Lund, Sweden @ Mejeriet Café

15 JUN: Olso, Norway @ Norwegian Wood Festival

01 JUL: London, England @ Bush Hall

02 JUL: Sheffield, England @ Memorial Hall

03 JUL: Nottingham, England @ Rescue Rooms

06 JUL: Charlbury, England @ Cornbury Festival

1.gif

Tift Merritt gets a second chance on her third album

City lights and Another Country

Tift Merritt and Zeke Hutchins live lightly. The couple's 265-square-foot apartment in New York's Greenwich Village resembles the dorm room of a college freshman with immaculate taste and Francophile tendencies.

It's pouring and cold outside, but the white-walled room is bright. A white leather couch, with two watercolors of Parisian street scenes resting on its back, claims half of a wall. Four dozen bottles of San Pellegrino sparkling water sit atop a refrigerator, and six cans of La Sueur early peas rest on a small set of kitchen cabinets. Beneath the lofted bed, a long desk holds two laptop computers, several dozen travel, photography and art books, and a modest collection of CDs. Rock bands share space with jazz and blues musicians.

tift_01.jpg

Tift Merritt moved from Raleigh to NYC to rebuild her career—on her own terms.

Photo by Christian Hansen

"Good thing we're a bunch of minimalists," Merritt says in humble welcome, flashing her subtle Southern smile.

Beside the door, a corkboard hangs lined with to-do lists, idea sheets and a map of the world. One memo mentions finding a manager, producer and label, but the more telling note reads like a songwriter's tip sheet or a summation of the record Merritt just finished. The dogmas "Beyond Genre," "Tell a Story" and "Be Original" are scrawled into small boxes, and Merritt has written notes beneath each point: Norah Jones and Feist beneath the first, and "Good Business Sense vs. Too Arty" beneath the second.

"The crazy board was invented when we were drunk. We made a lot of lists and a lot of plans, and we did a lot of thinking," says Merritt. "It's important to focus where you're going on your own. And it's also important to have crazy dreams. ...That's why I've kept that crazy board."

Merritt and Hutchins have played music together since the winter of 1997, when they met while taking two American Studies classes at UNC-Chapel Hill. They both started college late: Merritt, raised in Raleigh, moved to Wilmington after high school to wait tables and to play music in restaurants. Hutchins, raised in Durham, had been touring in his rock band, Queen Sarah Saturday, since high school. He convinced her to bring a cassette of songs she'd recorded in New York to class. Two days later, he was crammed in her kitchen playing drums. They've mostly been together ever since.

You can read the rest of the article here.

• 2 weeks later...

From her mailing list:

Today (Thursday), Tift will be appearing on Morning Becomes Eclectic on KCRW radio, Santa Monica, California at 11:15am Pacific Time. The program can also be streamed on the world wide web at www.kcrw.com

NEW VIDEO: When Mark Borthwick shot the wonderful photos for Tift's Another Country album, he brought along a video camera to the beach. Tift hijacked the tape, gave it to film editor Andrew Hafitz who turned it into a video for the song Keep You Happy. You can see it here:

Keep You Happy

• 1 month later...

The latest from Tift's mailing list:

emmylou_tift.jpg

Tift will perform on the Late Show With David Letterman on CBS television on Thursday June 12, backing Emmylou Harris, who will perform a song from her new album All I Intended To Be. Tift will be back to visit Dave two weeks later, on Wednesday June 25, singing "Broken" with her band.

• 2 years later...

Facebook update.

Happy Elevens from NYC where snow drifts are as tall as I am...Been rehearsing incredibly hard with pianist Simone Dinnerstein for our concerts in January...She's already taught me so much...Please stay tuned for 2011 tour dates...European dates in February and April...A solo US tour...Hmm shall I stay put in Paris for... March? Hope all are safe and warm. Salut for a 2011 just as you hope down deep. Warmest, tift

Facebook update.

Happy Elevens from NYC where snow drifts are as tall as I am...Been rehearsing incredibly hard with pianist Simone Dinnerstein for our concerts in January...She's already taught me so much...Please stay tuned for 2011 tour dates...European dates in February and April...A solo US tour...Hmm shall I stay put in Paris for... March? Hope all are safe and warm. Salut for a 2011 just as you hope down deep. Warmest, tift

Did you get the new songs she sent out recently? I believe they were some outtakes from See You On the Moon.

I hope she'll be back in Sweden soon.

I hope to make it to at least one of those concerts she's doing in Durham with Simone Dinnerstein. The Duke Performance series has really been off the fucking hook recently with shows from Megafaun, Jim Lauderdale and the Carolina Chocolate Drops.

Archived