Cash Cab

Reynoldo

Being a reality show hater, I can't believe I'm hooked on this show. But it is the best show on cable, and I simply can't get enough of it. Ben is awesome, and the fares are sometimes just too funny. I'd like to take a trip to NYC, just to be in the Cash Cab...but I'd take the money (assuming I'd not get 3 strikes, that is...).

Shout out...who loves it? and who hates it?

I've really enjoyed the times I've seen it.....but I have to wonder, when the driver..what, Ben ?, lets out the folks shy of their intended destination.....it'd almost seem like cashcab would be liable. I bet they have a support vehicle that takes the riders to their desired location. Surely they don't just dump 'em where they get their 3rd strike. No consolation ?

Funny show though....:)

Surely they don't just dump 'em where they get their 3rd strike. No consolation ?

Why not?

I used to watch the show. I haven't seen it in a few months. I guess game shows are technically reality shows, but I'm not used to hearing them called that.

Why not?

I used to watch the show. I haven't seen it in a few months. I guess game shows are technically reality shows, but I'm not used to hearing them called that.

Well like I said...I'd just about think they'd be held liable....I don't see anything signed when the contestants hop in the vehicle. They do tend to stay in the safer sections of Manhattan...midtown for the most part. But I doublt they'd let em out on a dark street in Ft. Apache, The Bronx ! :lol:

Well, Ben tells them the rules and if they accept it, that would be on them. I don't know what happens if they don't want to play.

Just about guarantee you in today's litigious society...the contestants most likely sign something with the 'key grips' unscene..who ride in support vehicles. There's NO WAY...Ben is the only one on the scene. Surely after they're 'let off' they sign stuff, and my guess is..they STILL get a ride to their destination or cabfare.

The alternative makes no sense in the sue me, sue you environment we live in...

Just STATING the rules isn't enough.

I'm just playing devil's advocate...I HATE our litigious society !!

Just found this info...it doesn't say that they're given a ride to their destination or not...but it was obvious there's alot more production than what appears to the eye...B)

A support van tails the Cash Cab with producers and a camera crew (for the various street shots), and the staff provides logistical information and questions by way of a walkie-talkie and earpiece (sometimes visible when Bailey turns his head for the camera). The driver greets the fare(s), takes their destination, then pushes a button that both activates an LED light panel in the roof of the cab and plays a musical sounder with an iPod. After the shock and surprise has passed for the fare(s), the driver informs the players of the rules of the game (though not always shown onscreen). The players are also told that once the Cash Cab starts, the cab will not take detours of any kind unless directed by a police officer, stop sign, traffic light, or other legal means of diverting traffic, and offers them the chance to get out of the cab if they do not wish to play. A contestant must stay in the cab until they reach their destination in order to keep the money they have won in the game. Answering three questions incorrectly at any point during the trip will force the driver to pull over and dismiss the fare without the money they had already won. After being informed they will be appearing on a televised game show, contestants spend approximately 15 minutes filling out waivers and other paperwork, including a mailing address. At the conclusion of the ride, winners are given what is essentially counterfeit cash; it's not real money, it's strictly for show. Once contestants have exited the Cash Cab, a camera crew from the trailing production car is already on the street waiting to film them walking away from the cab, win or lose. Contestants are filmed for approximately 10-15 seconds (though only about 5 seconds of this film is used in final production) walking away from the cab, however the winners must return the fake cash and a check is mailed to them with appropriate taxes deducted.

For equipment, the Cash Cab has ten cameras: one on the host, three on the passengers, one pointing forward from the back window of the cab, and three (front, left, and right) in the advertising shell on the roof of the cab

Archived