The Frank Marino thread

dragster

A HUGE axeman and a true human being too!!!!!

Frank Marino (Francesco Antonio Marino), born November 20, 1954 in Montreal, is the guitarist and leader of Canadian hard rock band Mahogany Rush.

Career:

The band had its peak of popularity in the 1970s and toured extensively playing such venues as California Jam II together with bands such as Aerosmith and Heart. Marino is still active; as of 2007, recording and touring under his own name and has also been involved in blues recordings with other artists as well.

To explain the name, Mahogany Rush, Marino says, "In fact, the mental condition (the acid trip) that became my daily life in my early teens, was due to having taken psychedelic drugs to the point of being hospitalized, and that condition produced, eventually, the name or term "mahogany rush", so in a way it was "related" to the drugs themselves. But it was more related to the mental experience. Mahogany Rush was, basically, the only way I could describe a certain aspect of that "trip" to others who couldn't understand it at the time, and still can't really do so now."

Early on in his career, it was claimed on the music press that he has stated that he is a reincarnation of Jimi Hendrix, a claim that was substantiated by his playing of Hendrix classics with considerable virtuosity. This claim was dismissed by Marino himself as falsified information created by the press and he has continued to forge a style of his own through the 1970s up to present day. This is discussed in-depth on the MySpace page for Frank Marino & Mahagony Rush.

Marino started to record his first album, "Maxoom", when he was only 16.

Frank Marino has three daughters.

When he quit music business in 1993 he supported his family by building computers. After returning to record and perform, his wife Denise took over the computer business.

Frank Marino is Orthodox Christian.

The Song: "Something's Coming Our Way" is about expectation of a day in which we all need to come in terms with our way of life and how we have spent our time here and the fact that we have to understand that the day of judgment that we refer to being someday in the future is in fact upon us at the moment.

Frank Marino is the uncle of the guitarist and songwriter Danny Marino of the melodic death metal band The Agonist.[1]

Discography:

1972 Maxoom

1974 Child of the Novelty

1975 Strange Universe

1976 Mahogany Rush IV

1977 World Anthem

1978 Live

1979 Tales Of The Unexpected

1980 What's Next

1981 The Power of Rock & Roll

1982 Juggernaut

1987 Full Circle

1988 Double Live

1990 From The Hip

1997 Dragonfly-Best of Mahogany Rush

2000 Eye of the Storm

2003 RealLIVE!

Other recordings and collections

1978 California jam II

1980 Fit for A.King

1988 Metal giants(Collection-Various artists)

1990 Guitar Speak II

1993 Hats of to Stevie Ray

1997 Bryan Lee:Live at the old absinthe house bar friday night

220px-Frank_m1.jpg

Here's Frank with a Canadian friend.

FrankandMe.jpg

I cannot believe there are NO Marino fans among us!!! :( :(

I remember Frank Marino quite well from seeing him and his band Maghony Rush on TV back in the 70s, I even have California Jam II on vinyl but quite frankly (pardon the pun) I was never moved enough by his playing to purchase any of his records.

More succiently I'm just not into the "guitar hero" thing liike I once was so I doubt anything I hear now is going to change my mind about Frank Marino any. Plus, I've probably heard some of that record on XM's Deep Tracks as they give Frank Marino (past and present) quite a bit of airplay.

I saw Marino play at Cal Jam two he is a excellent guitarist problem is there were and are today tons of great guitarist out there.Seen him at the Warehouse in New Orleans great show also. I have a couple of his albums actually have some good pictures from the warehouse show.My favorite lp is Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush live.As i said i like him but he is not Jimmy Page.But niether am i oh well he is still pretty dang good though.

I remember Frank Marino quite well from seeing him and his band Maghony Rush on TV back in the 70s, I even have California Jam II on vinyl but quite frankly (pardon the pun) I was never moved enough by his playing to purchase any of his records.

What's wrong you don't like Italians?

:lol:

I saw him in a small club in Dallas...Mahogany Rush and Eric Johnson's local Texas band, The Electromagnets played together...that was '74 I believe...and then I saw him again at the Texxas Jamm in '78 !

Really really good ! What a duel with Eric Johnson though....

I saw him back in (I believe) the late 70's. I remember being blown away by the sound quality and energy in that coliseum. That prompted me to buy the 'Mahogany Rush Live' vinyl LP, which I still have. This is one of those rare bands that (IMO) record and sound much better live than in the studio, thus my reasoning for skipping most of his work...guess I need to re-visit his catalog.

Kiss is another band I put in this category. My first introduction to them was the Kiss Alive album when I was in grade school. That and Alive II are the only albums I ever liked by them.

Hi barryo....exactly, there are some bands out there like the 2 you mentioned that are MUCH BETTER live :)

That what I love about Zeppelin, they seemed to experiment with their songs when playing live.

The end result (from listening to boots and stuff) was not always a lesson in precison timing, but I never cared. I liked the 'just getting together and jamming' feel to it.

Back in my teen years, I saw the midnight showing of The Song Remains The Same at a local theater in Memphis more times than I can count. I still hear people slagging the movie as sloppy, heavily edited, silly theatrical scenes etc. I still love every moment of it every time I watch it on DVD (sans the psychedelics these days :D )

That what I love about Zeppelin, they seemed to experiment with their songs when playing live.

The end result (from listening to boots and stuff) was not always a lesson in precison timing, but I never cared. I liked the 'just getting together and jamming' feel to it.

Back in my teen years, I saw the midnight showing of The Song Remains The Same at a local theater in Memphis more times than I can count. I still hear people slagging the movie as sloppy, heavily edited, silly theatrical scenes etc. I still love every moment of it every time I watch it on DVD (sans the psychedelics these days :D )

Led Zeppelin were masters at that trick *WINK*

Archived