Jimmy vs. Eddie

Tadpole in a Jar

Led Zeppelin is an epic movie. Van Halen is a sitcom. I love some of Van Halens songs but,,,,

Eddie crafted a great sound on his guitar, but he is alot of smoke and mirrors. Tapping, pull offs, hammer ons create an illusion of speed.  He plays very soulfully but it seems to be buried underneath  his "signature sound." There's some crap in the Van Halen catalog.  There's no crap in Zeps catalog.  As far as playing fast, I don't care, but check the Zep movie "Song Remains the Same."  Page is ripping through the notes and he is playing alot of great riffs  and creating a solo that has a beginning, a middle, and an end.  All the members of Zep have a depth and skill to the playing and composition.  Eddie never came close to writing his "Stairway to Heaven."  John Bonham didn't need a huge drum kit because he was creative, John Paul Jones on keyboard & bass.  Can't even compare Eddie's sophmoric riffs to JPJ's playing.  Lastly for a front man can you really compare a clown (Roth) to a poet (Plant)?

• 1 year later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:05 AM, StonesRtheRealDeal said:

Led Zeppelin is an epic movie. Van Halen is a sitcom. I love some of Van Halens songs but,,,,

Eddie crafted a great sound on his guitar, but he is alot of smoke and mirrors. Tapping, pull offs, hammer ons create an illusion of speed.  He plays very soulfully but it seems to be buried underneath  his "signature sound." There's some crap in the Van Halen catalog.  There's no crap in Zeps catalog.  As far as playing fast, I don't care, but check the Zep movie "Song Remains the Same."  Page is ripping through the notes and he is playing alot of great riffs  and creating a solo that has a beginning, a middle, and an end.  All the members of Zep have a depth and skill to the playing and composition.  Eddie never came close to writing his "Stairway to Heaven."  John Bonham didn't need a huge drum kit because he was creative, John Paul Jones on keyboard & bass.  Can't even compare Eddie's sophmoric riffs to JPJ's playing.  Lastly for a front man can you really compare a clown (Roth) to a poet (Plant)?

I understand youf point but EV Was more than fluff  & VH was pretty great but no Zep.  But they were ALOT OF FUN 

But hey.....easy on Roth !  Early VH Wud never been as great without David!