No Depression Magazine 1995-2008

Jahfin

• 6 months later...

Can't say I woulda missed it. The Drive-By Truckers are the only band that is referenced that is any good, to me, and they always seemed so much more southern rock. I absolutely love Southern Rock Opera. I feel like I grew up in the south in the 70's when I get done listening to it. Not much else they have done excites me.

I think My Morning Jacket should be considered alt-country. I always thought country music was kinda the canvas that they would paint with all their other influences on.

Can't say I woulda missed it. The Drive-By Truckers are the only band that is referenced that is any good, to me, and they always seemed so much more southern rock. I absolutely love Southern Rock Opera. I feel like I grew up in the south in the 70's when I get done listening to it. Not much else they have done excites me.

Even though they've received a lot of coverage in No Depression (including a cover), the Drive-By Truckers, like several other artists labeled with the "alt.country" tag have also eschewed that description. I think that just comes with the territory since no artist likes to be pigeonholed into one category (even though it is a bit of a necessary evil if you want to be able to describe an artist's sound to someone). "Alt.country" can be hard to describe since a lot of different styles fall under that one umbrella, including rock n' roll. Personally, I think there's a very wide variety of artists to choose from, mainly because alt.country itself isn't so easily defined. I think if you like the Truckers you would probably also like Slobberbone, Uncle Tupelo, Marah, Blue Mountain, the Jayhawks, Whiskeytown, the Old 97s, Ryan Adams (with and without his current band the Cardinals) and tons of others. I know you're only referring to the artists referenced (I'm guessing in the initial article posted) but saying you only like the Drive-By Truckers out of the entire alt.country spectrum is akin to saying you only like one rock n' roll band out of all the many artists to choose from that perform that type of music. To each their own but to me, that just doesn't make sense. No offense intended. I love the Truckers but there's a lot more to alt.country (or whatever you want to call it) than just them.

I do agree with you about the "Southern Rock" thing though. That was just used as a touchstone to relate the Lynyrd Skynyrd story for Southern Rock Opera. Even then, I can only think of one song on that entire record that reminds me that much of Southern Rock (The Southern Thing). If you like that album I would also think you'd like the records that preceded it. Yes, their sound became much more accessible once Isbell came onboard (not that that was a bad thing) but they've since gone back to a grittier sound with Brighter Than Creation's Dark (not that it would be confused with their first two records as they've grown as artists since then. Like so many of the best artists, the true test of their mettle is seeing them live. I'm not sure if you've ever had that opportunity but if you ever have the chance to see them live in concert I highly recommend checking them out. Yes, they have a pedal steel player in the band but essentially they're a rock n' roll band when they perform live.

I think My Morning Jacket should be considered alt-country. I always thought country music was kinda the canvas that they would paint with all their other influences on.

Funny you should say that as My Morning Jacket has received their fair share of coverage in No Depression as well which only goes to further illustrate my point that "alt.country" is a far reaching term that has never really had a clear cut definition. That's why the magazine itself used to have the byline "whatever that means" and in it's later years changed it to say "surveying the past, present and future of American music". Several years ago My Morning Jacket were also lumped in with the DBTs, Kings of Leon and several others as "the New Southern Rock" when music writers were looking for some new music trend to jump on. I'd say they all have hints of that sound but they all sound like "rock n' roll" to me. Again, that's one of the problems with labels.

Archived