No Depression Magazine 1995-2008

Jahfin

End of The Great Depression

NoDepMag.jpg

Given how many of its problems are self-inflicted, it's easy to adopt an attitude of schadenfreude about the record industry's ongoing free fall. But not everybody feeling the pain is an overpaid muckety-muck, and the independent-music community is taking a major hit: No Depression, the award-winning bimonthly magazine that covers alternative-country and its variants, is going out of business after the May/June issue. And the primary reason for its demise is that record-label print advertising has plummeted as much as compact disc sales, even while the magazine's circulation has held steady at about 30,000.

At this point, a few disclosures are in order. No Depression co-editor/Mebane resident Peter Blackstock has been one of my closest friends for more than 20 years. I'm also a regular contributor, going all the way back to a feature on Raleigh's Whiskeytown in issue #1, Fall 1995.

Read the rest of the article here:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/beat/index.p...;pb=1#more15875

End of The Great Depression

NoDepMag.jpg

No Depression, the award-winning bimonthly magazine that covers alternative-country and its variants, is going out of business after the May/June issue. And the primary reason for its demise is............

Is what ?

That their dog finally came home ? The wife lost 100 pounds and now the trailer doesn't shift everytime she goes from the kitchen to the bathroom ?

I guess that would be reason to celebrate and end their depression !

Is what ?

That their dog finally came home ? The wife lost 100 pounds and now the trailer doesn't shift everytime she goes from the kitchen to the bathroom ?

I guess that would be reason to celebrate and end their depression !

What in the fuck are you talking about? To fans of alternative country like myself, No Depression going out of publication is a great loss. You're only showing your fucking ignorance of the magazine by making jokes more closely associated with country music, something No Depression was rarely ever about. Yes, they put folks like Willie Nelson and Don Williams on the cover but they were the rare exception, it was usually someone like Gram Parsons, Steve Earle, Billy Joe Shaver Whiskeytown, Uncle Tupelo, Jay Farrar, Drive-By Truckers, Alejandro Escovedo, etc., musicians who represented the flipside to mainstream country music, the side commercial radio and CMT/TNN refused to acknowledge.

Before you go making such asides in the future you might be better served by actually educating yourself on the subject first.

That's really too bad. :( I always see that magazine but never pick it up... now I feel bad about it. Alt-country is entirely too underrated and it's sad that one of the publications that help make it known is going away.

Even though I was a fan of some of the folks I saw covered in the magazine the first few times I glanced through a copy it wasn't until a few years later that I actually began to read it on a regular basis and eventually subscribed to it. I understand the No Depression website will continue but will not attempt to be some sort of replacement for the print edition.

It's always a sad day when a writer has to lay his pen down and one more small business gone forever. I get a lot of my news online but it's just not the same as having a hard copy sitting in your lap. Only thing I like about reading online is that it's easy for me to read without reading glasses, the ole eyes ain't what they used to be.

Slump takes down magazine

Changes in the recording industry prove fatal for roots-music chronicle No Depression

898-20080221-013051-pic-934924857.embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

MAGAZINE COVER

By David Menconi, Staff Writer

This week's announcement that No Depression magazine was shutting down took most of its fans by surprise. The bi-monthly magazine, which helped define as well as popularize alternative-country music, will end a 13-year run with its May/June issue.

"I feel gobsmacked," says Raleigh's Phyllis Gordon, a subscriber for nearly a decade and one of No Depression's many Triangle readers. "This is really a shock. It's like finding out your best friend has moved to China."

You can read the rest of the article here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/956544.html

That sucks. Although I'm not too familiar with the genre in all honesty (I've only really touched upon its biggest artists; many that've been mentioned already: Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco, Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams, etc., from what I've read this magazine has been very integral in its movement.

My interest in the whole alt.country thing dates back much further than the term itself, back to when it was called "country rock" in the 70s. That was some of the first music I discovered through friends and family members that wasn't all that present on the radio. Artists like John Prine, Jimmy Buffett, Guy Clark, Steve Goodman, Emmylou, Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, Pure Prairie League, Poco, Goose Creek Symphony, Leon Russell's Hank Wilson's Back, Vol. 1 album, etc. In the 80s it was Lone Justice, Long Ryders, Jason and the Scorchers and others. By the mid to late 90s I was pretty much out of touch with most artists (aside from Prine and Clark) that made that kind of music anymore. I kept reading about Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Whiskeytown and some other local artists such as the Backsliders, Trailer Bride and Six String Drag which eventually led to me picking up Son Volt's Trace and later, a compilation of regional artists called Revival Vol. 1: Brunswick Stew n' Pig Pickin'. All along I had been aware of No Depression magazine but never purchased a copy. Once I went online and was able to find like minded music fans via e-mail lists and messageboards I started to broaden my horizons even further beyond the artists I was already familiar with. No Depression and discussions on those e-mail lists and boards played a huge role in that. I'm glad to know they are going to carry on in some fashion by keeping the website active but it saddens me very much to know the print edition is being put to rest.

Have you ever seen this little girl Amanda Shaw it's kind of a zydeco cajun country style she's really good.

No, I haven't but I appreciate the tip and will definitely keep an ear out for her.

In the same vein musically are you familiar with Donna the Buffalo? In addition to the cajun and country they also throw in a bit of rock n' roll and reggae.

donna-mf2000.jpg

Donna the Buffalo on stage at Merlefest in North Wilkesboro, NC

Donna the Buffalo on MySpace

No, I haven't but I appreciate the tip and will definitely keep an ear out for her.

In the same vein musically are you familiar with Donna the Buffalo? In addition to the cajun and country they also throw in a bit of rock n' roll and reggae.

Donna the Buffalo on stage at Merlefest in North Wilkesboro, NC

Donna the Buffalo on MySpace

That name rings a bell, have they ever performed at Jazz Fest down here? there are so many unknown or non main stream acts that play the fest but you can't see them all. Reading the line up will sometimes put a name in the back of your head.

That name rings a bell, have they ever performed at Jazz Fest down here? there are so many unknown or non main stream acts that play the fest but you can't see them all. Reading the line up will sometimes put a name in the back of your head.

I'm not sure but it's very likely considering the number of festivals they play every year.

Maybe Donna the Buffalo can perform a benefit concert to keep No Depression up and running.

BTW, my friends used to refer to one of my former girlfriends as Donna the Buffalo. I have a couple compilations with songs by The Handsome Family. I really enjoy them, but don't know what they have released that is worth having.

I felt the same way in 1977 or so when Punk Magazine went kaput. It is back so to speak, but I don't even care anymore.

http://www.punkmagazine.com/

Maybe Donna the Buffalo can perform a benefit concert to keep No Depression up and running.

From what I understand this is pretty much it for the magazine. Any options they may have had for surviving have already been explored. Then again there's that saying about never saying "never".

BTW, my friends used to refer to one of my former girlfriends as Donna the Buffalo. I have a couple compilations with songs by The Handsome Family. I really enjoy them, but don't know what they have released that is worth having.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with it or not but a couple of years ago Jim White's concept album The Mysterious Tale of How I Shouted Wrong-Eyed Jesus! served as the inspiration for the film Searching For the Wrong-Eyed Jesus which includes performances by The Handsome Family, Melissa Swingle (of Trailer Bride/The Moaners), David Eugene Edwards (of 16 Horsepower), David Johansson, Johnny Dowd and others.

51Z6FZ676FL._AA240_.jpg

SearchingfortheWrongEyedJ15904_f.jpg

• 1 month later...

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ID=200880401009

Nashville’s Buddy Miller to grace final cover of No Depression

It’s s tremendous shame that No Depression magazine is ceasing publication, but at least the alt-country Bible/roots music compendium is going out in style by putting Nashville's Buddy Miller on the cover of its final issue.

A producer, singer, guitarist and songwriter whose gifts rival those of anybody in this town and beyond, Miller has had a hand in any number of landmark tours and recordings over the last decade-and-a-half, including projects by Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Solomon Burke and Jimmie Dale Gilmore. All of which is to say nothing of the fabulous albums he’s released with his wife and singer/songwriting partner Julie—or of the Alison Krauss and Robert Plant tour on which he’s about to embark. Best of all, Miller is a jewel of a fellow, a real treasure of human being.

Kudos to publishers Grant Alden and Peter Blackstock for shining such light even as their pioneering magazine’s flickers out.

I'm looking forward to seeing Buddy with Plant and Krauss when that tour hits Raleigh this summer. I had been tinkering around with the idea of making the drive to Asheville for their concert there but Raleigh is much closer. Even though I don't own any of Buddy's records (yet) I've always enjoyed his work, especially Spyboy with Emmylou Harris.

T-Bone Burnett will also be speaking in the area this Friday, I'd love to see that but am not sure I'll be able to make it.

Archived