The current state of rock and roll

JethroTull

I used to be like that. I really did. I didn't listen to anything new because I was afraid I'd be subjecting my ears to utter crap, and I liked lots of old stuff and didn't even give anything else a chance.

Then I pulled my head out from my own ass and saw the light. I really can't say anything that hasn't already been said -- there are plenty of places to find it and to say that current rock is shit without doing some research is lazy and ignorant. Before I started listening to new stuff, I didn't go to a concert, didn't get excited about an album release, etc. To me, stuff like that is critical to music. Getting hyped about a show, album releases, even leaks. That feeling when you see a performer live.

If you guys don't want to recognize modern rock, that's fine with me. I'll keep my little artists playing in dive bars, thanks. But don't you dare complain.

Oh I know. And nowt personal mate. B)

But look at this, and if your spine doesn't tingle - I'm worried!

(PS Simon was already a multi-millionaire before he set foot in a TV studio. He is an expert on music - like it or not)

He's not an expert on music, he's an expert with marketing. He might know a thing or two about Pop. But that's about it.

Saved it from what?

I love British rock but I don't think it saved rock n' roll from anything.

My 2 cents: I see renewal in rock in the form of the Marylin Mansons and neo-psychedelic bands injecting new lymph into rock!! :) :)

My 2 cents: I see renewal in rock in the form of the Marylin Mansons and neo-psychedelic bands injecting new lymph into rock!! :) :)

Not sure what Marilyn Manson has to do with British rock "saving rock n' roll" but I never got much out of Manson other than the ability to shock. He pretty much amounts to a bunch of smoke and mirrors. The person he ripped off, Alice Cooper, was actually much more shocking back in the day. Same for rock n' roll itself. During it's inception it was truly controversial. Manson is pretty much a joke.

Theatre - wise he IS a joke, but at least he had the GUTS to shift the focus off the dance-oriented garbage that was rambling on in those days.....he brought shcok-rock back from the dead (pun INTENDED!). You're right, it has nothing to do with British rock! :):)

I would love to have a radio station that would have a playlist like this:

Blue Angel - Roy Orbison

Someday Never Comes - CCR

One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - John Lee Hooker

Fingertips - Stevie Wonder

The House Is Rockin' - Stevie Ray Vaughan

She Got The Devil In Her - Buddy Guy

All My Life - Foo Fighters

Waiting - Green Day

Dallas - Johnny Winter

Two Gunslingers - Tom Petty

The Sun - Maroon 5

Celebration Day- Led Zeppelin

Angel Of Mercy - Jonny Lang

Crazy - Gnarls Barkley

Waiting On The World To Change - John Mayer

Blues Before Sunrise - Eric Clapton

Master Of Sparks - ZZ Top

Chattahoochee - Alan Jackson

Oh wait I kinda do: that was me putting iTunes on shuffle. This is the way of the future: you choose the tunes you want to hear. Way better than radio will ever be.

Oh wait I kinda do: that was me putting iTunes on shuffle. This is the way of the future: you choose the tunes you want to hear. Way better than radio will ever be.

True but when I tune in something like XM's Deep Tracks I never know what I'm going to hear. If I were to hit shuffle on an iPod (which I don't own) or my CD player I would still be hearing something I've already heard before, just in a different order. Still, I love mixtapes for the sheer fun of throwing a wide variety of stuff on there from all genres.

Not if you're constantly adding new music though. Now that it's over 4000 songs, a lot of times I haven't listened to a song in a LONG time. I've recently stopped buying so much music, and am listening to the music I have, because I've only listened to it a couple of times, whereas I used to really sit down and enjoy whatever I purchased. It's a lot more fun for me that way.

Good point but when and if the day comes that I give in and buy an iPod, chances are I'm going to listen to stuff before I go to the trouble of adding it to my iTunes library. Then again, I'm guessing it's fairly easy to delete. Still that's far more trouble than I care to go at this point.

:) I have never been stuck in the past.....not even in the past (does that make any sense??! :)).....and I've always got my freaky antennas out for the NEW stuff out there, but at the same time I see lots of rubbish too. My point? Sift a lot! :)

Of course there's lots of rubbish, but there's lots of great stuff too.

It's been the case in every decade.

Archived