Millard and Friend (Southern CA 1970's)

Mapper

Was check' out some lossless at a site and read this about "Mike the Mike Millard"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mike was a good friend of mine. We met at a Crosby, Stills & Nash ticket sale at the Forum in March 1977, and he was unable to get tickets. I managed to score some 6th row center floor seats, and traded an extra ticket for a Yes, Tull, Zeppelin and Floyd recording. Best trade I ever made, as we remained friends for many years. Mike was not physically handicapped, and the chair was a prop. He sat on the Nak 550 on the way in, and had a bag he would say had a change of clothes in, just in case he "soiled" himself. Who would ever say no to that? Upon entering the building, I would wheel Mike into the handicap stall , where he would cable up the AKG's in his racer hat. He would swap the clothes for the Nak, and we were off to the seats. When he was in a decent spot in the hallway, he would just "get up", and walk to the seats (always in the first 8 rows or so, dead center. He knew a little of the PA would blow over, but the sound was so compressed, and there was way less chatter up near the stage. Besides, MM always had a few pennies to let the more annoying "clappers", "yellers", lead singers, and the dreaded "woooers" know they needed to pipe down. His tapes were more live sounding than many released live albums. Not realizing what an honor it was at the time, Mike asked me if I would like to ride the chair into the 4-15-78 Genesis show at the San Diego Sports arena. Little did I know 30 years later, that I would be able to share some of the experience with like minded music lovers. Just for the record, Mike did take his own life around Thanksgiving in 1993. Rest in peace, Mike, you're in a better place, and your labor of love lives on. No one profits from it in this ideal setting. I am quite sure "Mike the Mike" would approve."

wharfrat92630

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow very interesting story ...I have all mikes zeppelin recordings and his shows were definitely top notch !! You said that he would just walk to his seats?? Where would he leave the wheelchair when going to take his seats?? did security never notice that one second he was in a wheelchair and the next he was up and walking to handicapped section seating?

cheers

Archived