Led Zeppelin: "A studio only Band"

Zepaholic

"on our worst night we were as good as anyone, and on our best night we could mop the floor with the fuckin' lot of them"

Baldwin is a bad-ass bassist and phenominal all around musician, no doubt about it. He was the glue that held everything together....

Baldwin is a bad-ass bassist and phenominal all around musician, no doubt about it. He was the glue that held everything together....

I recently got a boot, I forget which one it is now (1977), it's a SBD and the bass is really loud in the mix and mid-EQ so you can really hear the attack from JPJ during ALS and others, really something.

Apples and oranges, and they never made any bones about it.... The studio stuff was lovingly and brilliantly textured, layered, and polished. Live, they never played a song the same way twice. They were fearless in their show by show assault on the music they themselves created from an improvisational standpoint, and they NEVER took the safe or easy way out. I was fortunate to have seen them eight times in Chicago from '73-'77, and there was one thing I always took away from those shows. You were wrung out physically and emotionally by the time one of those monster 3 hour sets was done. They had a tendency to always be and sound "Too big for the room" so to speak. It was like having an intimate little party at your house and 20,000 people show up. Not a piece of furniture, door, or window left in the house unbroken! :o

I loved the fact that the live music was never EXACTLY like the studio stuff, because it was like getting all new music every time you saw them. I saw EVERY major live act during the '70's, and NOBODY left it all out there like they did, PERIOD. They were, are, and will always be the standard by which all rock bands are judged live.

A studio only band? Please.

Apples and oranges, and they never made any bones about it.... The studio stuff was lovingly and brilliantly textured, layered, and polished. Live, they never played a song the same way twice. They were fearless in their show by show assault on the music they themselves created from an improvisational standpoint, and they NEVER took the safe or easy way out. I was fortunate to have seen them eight times in Chicago from '73-'77, and there was one thing I always took away from those shows. You were wrung out physically and emotionally by the time one of those monster 3 hour sets was done. They had a tendency to always be and sound "Too big for the room" so to speak. It was like having an intimate little party at your house and 20,000 people show up. Not a piece of furniture, door, or window left in the house unbroken! :o

I loved the fact that the live music was never EXACTLY like the studio stuff, because it was like getting all new music every time you saw them. I saw EVERY major live act during the '70's, and NOBODY left it all out there like they did, PERIOD. They were, are, and will always be the standard by which all rock bands are judged live.

A studio only band? Please.

Agreed; it had the force of a freight train playing guitar and drums.

So, i'm sitting here with a few friends and the consensus opinion seems to be that LZ is a premier studio band but a "dud" live band. I ask why and they reply: "All of the live boots and official releases indicate that they cannot reproduce studio quality due to Jimmy being sloppy and not having a rhythm guitar player, as well as RP singing out of key and blah, blah, blah....".

Aside from the usual countermeasures like Blueberry hill and countless other great live reproductions, what do i do to convince them? Do i write them off as fucktards, or what?

Did Jimmy really need to carry a rhythm player for all of the dubs?

Speak.

you obviously need to get new friends B)

Archived