Sammy Hagar band to rival Zep

This is an article I picked up on from a local radio station in New Orleans. I have always liked Sammy Hagar, as he is a huge Zep fan. In this recent article/comment he says that his new "band" could rival Zep.....I'd have to hear it to seriously consider that, but I guess he feels that it's that good...check out the story below -

Sammy Hagar Part of New ‘Supergroup’

Filed under: Classic Rock News — Dale @ 6:02 pm

Sammy Hagar is back in the news as a result of his recent plans to form what some people are calling a new supergroup.

Hagar is teaming up with drummer Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers, guitarist Joe Satriani and former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony. Hagar and Anthony hanging out is nothing new since the two seem to have become close friends since their days in Van Halen.

It appears that Hagar has high hopes and great expectations for this new group. When asked what fans can expect, Hagar compares the sound to Led Zeppelin and says “it’s as good as that.” He goes on to say, “We could rival Zep.”

Hagar says that the new group has eight or nine songs ready to go and are planning to enter the studio on September 1.

Rock fans who long for the days of Van Hagar may have a while to wait, if they are fortunate enough to ever see those days again. Hagar says he loves Eddie Van Halen but Van Halen does not feel the same way about him.

“I heard that he (Van Halen) got cleaned up again. Hopefully he stays that way and doesn’t die, because before we both die we have to be friends again,” Hagar says.

Fuck,,, i wonder where they got all the material from?

I have to echo everyone who said people took this way too seriously. Obviously Sammy was being over the top. He would be the first one to say he was kidding. Sammy doesn't take himself THAT seriously. He's a partying rocker. He's having fun and he's enthusiastic. Rival Zeppelin? Please! He's just excited about his project.

Remember Lennon saying the Beatles were bigger than Jesus?

Or Robert Plant saying "I am a golden god"?

Do you really think they meant that? Cut Sammy some slack!

In fact, appreciate Sammy for citing Zeppelin as the band to be the measure of greatness! :beer:

John Lennon said they were "more popular" than Jesus, and i bet it was a true statement. John explained that statement with good reason.

Robert Plant is considered a "golden god", who is arguing that? btw...Do you know how jealous of his long golden curls most of us girls have always been? :)

We will cut Sammy a break because, yes he was complimenting Led Zeppelin, and Sammy knows damn well he was joking...

Sammy can sing, rocks damn hard and I'd like to hear his new so-called super group. However, and let's be very clear on this, to make a comparision to Led Zeppelin...come on now, I mean really...don't create corny PR for your new band and before the tape rolls. Sammy don't be a clown. You keep this kinda smack going and you might end up fronting that other super group, "Rock Star: Super Nova". Remember them. Here today gone today. You get the idea. Don't get me wrong. I like confidence, but do not compare any band you assemble to Led Zeppelin. On another note, Roth is a great front man, but can't sing a lick.

Archived