My Morning Jacket

Jahfin

my_morning_jacket_03l.gif

My Morning Jacket

Jonathan Cohen

It's 4 a.m. on the last night of South by Southwest, and Jim James is belting out Rod Stewart's "You're in My Heart." A few hours earlier, the My Morning Jacket frontman dazzled an intimate crowd at an Austin church with a mostly solo acoustic set, and the full band's three other performances during the week were some of the most acclaimed of the industry confab. But of all the places James could be right now, it's a cozy terrace suite at Austin's famed Driskill Hotel, surrounded by a few close friends, a bucket of Miller Lites and an iPod, singing and analyzing songs into the wee hours. As he says the following week, "Music is everything."

Click here to read the rest of the feature.

They are very good and an interesting band, but even after i posted that, listening to a radio show that the host/dj said he wasnt that impressed with the new album. I have -z and have heard such great things about this new one, but after some of the stuff on the radio...i'm just not that impressed, or should i say i dont feel like really getting the cd. But thats just me, have become much more selective in buying cds.

I like them. Discovered them in a record store as they were playing Z which I bought immediately. I also have It Still Moves. They remind me of Neil Young meets Galaxie 500. Anyone seen them live?

What about the new one?? Yeah i do hear a neil young thing, althought singing wise this guy goes beyone neil young. but its the bonham influenced drummer that keeps it interesting as well, for me, the band really...thats the thing.

Curious as to what the whole album sounds like, from the two songs on the radio it sounds like the singer's material and less of a band effort. I hope this band doesnt become another band featuring a singwriter type of thing. The stuff off of the albm -z is interesting musically. Apparently the singer did a set at the newport festival.

Curious as to what the whole album sounds like, from the two songs on the radio it sounds like the singer's material and less of a band effort. I hope this band doesnt become another band featuring a singwriter type of thing. The stuff off of the albm -z is interesting musically. Apparently the singer did a set at the newport festival.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. It's a bit more "easy sounding" if you will than Z which had a edgier sound to me. We'll have to see what direction they'll take down the road.

Just heard a song on the radio off the new one, i believe, or its amazing...good song. some recycled rock going on musically, which isnt a bad thing, had heard bits of -the clash and u2 on the z record and it worked well. the drummer has a john bonham influence which sounds good.

After the positve reports from the music festival in austin, just expected a really big record from them.

Archived