FOO FIGHTERS set attendance record at Wembley Stadium

FOO FIGHTERS set attendance record at Wembley Stadium

513719.gif

Over the weekend, the Foo Fighters headlined Wembley Stadium in London, with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones joining the band onstage for a pair of Led Zeppelin classics. Now even more information and accolades are pouring in for the mammoth gigs.

The first night of the Foos' two-night, sold out stand at the new Wembley Stadium set a record for attendance with approximately 85,000 people. The previous concert record was held by Rod Stewart in 1995 with 83,000.

Foo fans in the U.K. will get to relive the gigs, or experience them for the first time, as the concerts will be shown in 50 Vue movie theaters around the country on Tuesday, June 24.

As reported yesterday, the Foos were joined onstage by Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones on Saturday night, June 7, as they wrapped up their two-night stand at Wembley Stadium. The audience was treated to a pair of Zeppelin classics - "Rock and Roll" and "Ramble On" - during the Foo's encore. Dave Grohl played drums while drummer Taylor Hawkins sang on "Rock And Roll," and then Grohl sang "Ramble On" while Hawkins returned to the drums. Grohl also told the crowd, "Welcome to the greatest day of my whole entire life."

This is, of course, a brand new stadium and only a handful of acts have so far played there. It has a greater capacity than the old stadium and I'd imagine the fact that the Foo Fighters shows were 'in the round' meant that more people could get in as there was no longer a need for one end to be blocked off.

Why Rod Stewart allegedly held the record previously I don't know - perhaps that was 'in the round' as well, but by and large the concerts at the old stadium held something like 72,000 and many acts sold it out. The acts that played there most were:

Michael Jackson (15 times)

Rolling Stones (12)

U2 (8)

Genesis (4)

I saw quite a few gigs there (including Pink Floyd, The Stones, Simon & Garfunkel, U2, Bowie) and have been once to the new stadium (Live Earth). Whilst the facilities are so much better now, it lacks the wow factor of the original IMHO.

Archived