No Quarter

marmorek

Nice, very nice. What version are you playing along to in the headphones?

I'm not actually playing along to anything. The headphones were for monitoring only. It was late at night, I couldn't wake anyone up with an amp.

Great stuff Marmorek! Loved the Atom Heart Mother bits! I'm a HUGE Floyd fan!

What the hell patches (and board) were you using? They were spot on!

Cheers! :beer:

Big Floyd fan, eh? :D ... it was actually Any Colour You Like. At least that's what I was going from anyway. It's not quite as recognizable without the guitar and Moog.

The keyboard is a Yamaha S90ES. I got it recently, and it's been wonderful. The patch I programmed from scratch:

Rhodes Stage > Clean Amp > Vintage Phaser (6.5 Hz rate, 75% feedback, 50% Depth, 60% manual, Stage 4, 50% Colour, 80% Spread) > Reverb

Hopefully I'll most a few more videos here in the future. Kashmir or Trampled Underfoot would probably be next, but I might just do Carouselambra for the fun of it. :)

I'm not actually playing along to anything. The headphones were for monitoring only. It was late at night, I couldn't wake anyone up with an amp.

I thought for sure you had some frame of reference going in your headphones. In your shoes I'd need No Quarter in the headphones as a guide! Crikey. To quote Robert Plant: that's an amazing feat in itself. Again, well done, I showed it to a guitar player bud yesterday and he was super impressed.

I thought for sure you had some frame of reference going in your headphones. In your shoes I'd need No Quarter in the headphones as a guide! Crikey. To quote Robert Plant: that's an amazing feat in itself. Again, well done, I showed it to a guitar player bud yesterday and he was super impressed.

Good to hear. I generally don't play along with recorded music unless I'm just learning the song. I'd find it insanely hard to play an entirely different solo from what I was listening to anyway. :)

Good to hear. I generally don't play along with recorded music unless I'm just learning the song. I'd find it insanely hard to play an entirely different solo from what I was listening to anyway. :)

See your point, M. As a drummer I never gave conflicting solos that melodic instrumentalists faced playing along to a tune a second thought. Drummers try to keep the rhythm solid, no solos, and I guess mostly drummers play along to songs with headphones because loud drum notes cancel out their counterparts on the recording. If you can't hear the drummer in the 'phones you're dead on it.

See your point, M. As a drummer I never gave conflicting solos that melodic instrumentalists faced playing along to a tune a second thought. Drummers try to keep the rhythm solid, no solos, and I guess mostly drummers play along to songs with headphones because loud drum notes cancel out their counterparts on the recording. If you can't hear the drummer in the 'phones you're dead on it.

That's what's great about being a drummer, you don't need to know too much to play along with an entire song. I can't play much more than a simple rock beat though. It takes a different (and very valuable) talent to play the drums.

That's what's great about being a drummer, you don't need to know too much to play along with an entire song. I can't play much more than a simple rock beat though. It takes a different (and very valuable) talent to play the drums.

Well said. If you've ever been in a band with a crummy drummer you know it's better not having one at all. I always liked our drummer though. =)

Awesome! :notworthy:

I've been thinking about getting myself a cheap keyboard and learning, this is only making want to even more...

How cheap? I can recommend a few that would be good for Zeppelin and other classic rock.I went and splurged for a $2100 keyboard, but you can still get great sounds from something that's a lot cheaper.

How cheap? I can recommend a few that would be good for Zeppelin and other classic rock.I went and splurged for a $2100 keyboard, but you can still get great sounds from something that's a lot cheaper.

Let's see, I'm going to have quite a few expenses in the coming year. I'm thinking I might be able to afford something in the 700-800 dollar price range.

If you can give me a good recommendation though, I'll definitely look into it =D

Also, would you say it's possible to learn purely from books and tips from others? I don't really feel like taking any lessons at this point.

Let's see, I'm going to have quite a few expenses in the coming year. I'm thinking I might be able to afford something in the 700-800 dollar price range.

If you can give me a good recommendation though, I'll definitely look into it =D

Also, would you say it's possible to learn purely from books and tips from others? I don't really feel like taking any lessons at this point.

In that range, you could get a Roland Juno D or Yamaha MM6, or you could spend a bit more to get a Yamaha MO6 or Juno G. I'd recommend the MO6, because it has excellent customization for sounds (it's a lower end model based on the same system as my own). It would probably cost close to thousand, but it'd be worth it.

You could go cheaper used, or get a used Yamaha Motif (which also allows you to add samples), but I'd recommend buying locally and trying out the keyboard first if you do. Whatever you buy, I recommend trying out different models you're considering to see which sounds and feels the best to you.

It is theoretically possible to learn from books and tips (YouTube and other video tutorials are also great), but lessons are always the best way to learn any new instrument. It's also great to learn on weighted keys if you can afford it (the MO8 is around $1400 and a used 88-key would be about that much too).

Archived