5. Pacidy (BBC Nightride) - 5:44

6. Let us now make Love (BBC Nightride) - 6:16

7. Provocation (Genesis plays Jackson) - 4:10

8. Frustration (Genesis plays Jackson) - 3:42

9. Manipulation (Genesis plays Jackson) - 3:49

10. Resignation (Genesis plays Jackson) - 3:01

DVD EXTRAS

1. Reissues Interview 2007 - 6:00

2. Box Set 1967 - 1975 VH1 Special - (tbc)

1973foxtrottour2rk1.jpg

1973foxtrottour7ns8.jpg

1974sellingenglandblackdz7.jpg

posterstory78bud4.jpg

ikwilbwll6.jpg

GENESIS - BOX SET 3 CONTENT

[...]

EXTRA TRACKS 1970 TO 1975

CD/SACD

1. Happy the Man (7" single) - 3:10

2. Twilight Alehouse (B-side - I Know What I Like) - 7:48

3. Going out to get You (Demo) - 4:55

4. Shepherd (BBC Nightride) - 4:04

CD/SACD TOTAL: 46:39

DVD

1. Happy the Man (7" single) - 3:10

2. Twilight Alehouse (B-side - I Know What I Like) - 7:48

3. Going out to get You (Demo) - 4:55

4. Shepherd (BBC Nightride) - 4:04

DVD EXTRAS

1. Reissues Interview 2007 - 6:00

2. Box Set 1967 - 1975 VH1 Special - (tbc)

Thanks so much for letting us know about this! I am going to surprise my husband, who is a major Genesis fan with it (no special occasion other than the fact that he's a sweetheart). He often cites the years 1970-1975 as the "golden age" of Genesis because that is when he was attending their concerts.

That is an awesome collection of music. Anyone who likes progressive rock and hasn't gotten into Genesis should. Peter Gabriel is such a talented artist and this was a great time for the band. I love all their music. This sound was so much different from the post-Gabriel era. If you love Genesis, it's like you are getting two different bands before and after Peter. The next Box set will be awesome, too.

genesis1.jpg

gabriel_plays.jpg

(Thanks to my friends from the official Genesis forum for these links)

http://www.music-wow.com/shop-item_details...?id=EMI%2000491

Best price so far for the UK (SACD/DVD) version

http://www.amazon.fr/Genesis-1970-1975/dp/...8760&sr=1-1

Amazon france has it for EUR 107,64

http://www.amazon.de/Genesis-1970-1975-UK/...9188&sr=1-1

Amazon Germany for EUR 111,99

B)

Genesis - Shepperton, The 16mm film

Shepperton Studios, Borehamwood, UK: 30th-31st October 1973

1. Opening Credits

2. Watcher of the Skies

3. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight

4. I Know What I Like

5. The Musical Box

6. Supper's Ready

7. Closing Credits

Plus Easter Egg!

Pro-shot film, footage digitised frame by frame direct from 16mm master reel to PAL 25fps. (See below for exact details!)

Credits:

Source: King Lerch and the members of MeeksGenesis

Video Transfer, Source Clean Up, DVD Authoring and other general extreme hard work : King Lerch

Audio Remastering: SAB (DanLore)

Artwork: RH Productions

Adam's Production Notes on "Genesis @ Shepperton - the 16mm film":

Summary

I originally thought I should not create an essay like this as it is rather pretentious and long-winded. I certainly donā€™t expect most people to read or even be interested in it. But I know that if I donā€™t write down the process when I am able to remember it, I most likely wonā€™t be able to remember it at all when someone does ask something about it.

As a quick summary, this source was not perfect and suffered from some damage. Also, this is a dark 16mm film not Hollywood film quality. I did the best I could, learned a lot about the process, and never took shortcuts. A big thanks to Gunnar Thalin, the Swedish video expert who helped with great information. Several times I went back to the first step all over again to compare and get the best possible final product.

Test versions were sent to 4 testers in different parts of the world. Their suggestions were some of the best Iā€™ve ever received and I was able to incorporate almost all of them. As one of the testers said, ā€œThis may not be the holy grailā€¦but it is his older brother.ā€

Auction

It was over 6 months ago when I noticed a 16mm Genesis film was being auctioned from a NY estate sale. There was no way to be sure of the contents, quality, authenticity, or value. After discussing it with some collectors I know, I was prepared to make a high bid. But adding the costs to do a proper transfer, I didnā€™t know if my bid would be high enough to win.

Then I read that a small group wanted to pitch in and buy this film. Rather than bid against each other, we thought it was much better to join resources. We were able to come up with enough to make a substantial bid and help pay for the transfer as well.

It was explained that no one had any idea of the filmā€™s condition. It could be damaged, worse than existing copies, untransferable, etc. We all took a risk in hopes we could benefit from a great film, or reduce the losses if it was not good. We won the auction, sent a huge money order, received the film, packed it up again, sent it fully insured to the lab, and hoped for the best.

Source

The source was a 16mm film shot at 25 frames per second. It is Kodak date coded with a triangle and plus which indicates 1973. This is significant in that it is not a recent production or a copy of a copy. However, there are old Kodak films that suffer from ā€œred shiftā€ where the organic parts of the film change over time leaving extra amounts of red. This film was no exception.

Although I donā€™t remember where I got this information, I remember hearing that several copies of this concert were printed on 16mm film for distribution to schools or small theatres. It is unknown how many of these films exist or where they were used. There is no doubt in my mind that these are a professional production, and a distinct ā€œCharisma Reel Oneā€ can be heard at the very beginning of the film.

[uPDATE: I spoke with a friend about this film and he only recently mentioned that he saw this film not just on video but in the spring of 1974 on 16mm. He is the only one I have spoken to who has actually seen this film in regular use. It was at an Atlantic Records hotel suite at a national college radio convention in NYC. They dimmed the lights, wheeled out a 16mm projector, and showed the film on the wall. Everyone thought it was amazing. More amazing is that our print from "a NY estate sale of someone in the music business" is possibly the exact same print.]

Also, there are artifacts in the film like spots, marks, etc that are on all copies of the film. These are not removable or cleanable, just a clue that all of these films have the same ā€œparentā€. Another clue that these 16mm film(s) have the same source is the audio.

16mm audio is very distinct. Not only is it rather poor quality, but because of the unique 25 fps speed it is often played at the more common 24 fps speed where the sound is 4% slow. All of the sources we have seen (correct me if I am wrong) such as the Old Grey Whistle Test, Speakeasy, documentaries, etc all have this 16mm audio. If something better than a 16mm film exists, it is not easily available.

Transfer

Because the 25 frames per second film matches perfectly the PAL video standard, a 720x576 transfer was done. This has better color than NTSC, 100 more lines of resolution, and does not require any speed changes or frame blending.

The film was slowly projected 1 frame at a time directly onto the 3CCD chip of a PAL DV digital video camera. This allows corrections for brightness and color with each frame of film and gets the most detail. Instead of trying to catch 25 constantly moving frames per second, this process can examine each frame as slow as necessary.

The biggest disadvantage of the frame-by-frame transfer (other than the higher cost) is that sound cannot be captured at the same time. It must be added later. Also note that with my agreement the transfer lab did a 5% underscan of the film with a small black border around the edges. Since TVs usually overscan by 5%-10%, this keeps more of the picture viewable without zooming.

Sound

The sound from this and most 16mm films is printed along the side of the film like waveforms. This is read by a bulb in the projector so the quality is not great, somewhere around a 8.5 kHz spectrum. The sound remastering was done by SAB so I donā€™t know all of the specifics. I know he was able to get a great result from a mediocre 16mm source. It has a stereo simulation and increased low end which adds great depth. I corrected the sound for speed and pitch, the first time for this concert that I know of.

Color

The first major task was to correct the color. The amount of red in the film is simply ridiculous. It washed everything else away. The color red is also the most difficult for compression and encoding software to deal with. It causes unnatural lines, compression artifacts, almost all video problems show themselves in the color red (lucky us). To see just how red the original film was, look for the DVD Easter Egg.

It appears as if on previous film transfers that this red was reduced, but much of the image details reside in the red so it cannot just be turned down. I struggled with the color for a long time and did several comparisons to A History video to get it as close as possible.

Also, the film is not 100% consistant. Some parts are redder than others, some are brighter than others, etc. So certain corrections could not be applied to fix one scene without adversely affecting another scene. And as a general rule, all changes have at least one side-effect. So a happy medium had to be reached between redness, detail, noise, brightness, darkness, etc. All color was changed with TMPGEnc.

Filters

I used a few filters with VirtualDub and AVISynth. Each filter was applied with only lossless compression (averaging 10-30GB / 15 minutes of video) so more filters did not reduce image quality. I wonā€™t go into every filter but the most major improvement was from the Temporal Smoother.

Most films are 35mm (4 times the size of 16mm) or even larger. So when this 16mm film is expanded on large TVs, the film grain can be seen in the form of dots or blobs of color. When watching the raw film, it looks as if non-moving objects are bubbling or crawling or something. The Temporal Smoother looks for these spots that show up for only one film frame and smoothes them out. The image and structure are more visible but the effects of video noise or grain is significantly reduced.

Sound Sync

Because of the slow film transfer, sound had to be added afterward. This was a long process for several reasons. One reason is that two transfers are never exactly the same. Even a small change in speed would lose total sync by the end of the film. The other problem with this film is that it was recorded over 2 days. While the sync may look good during one part of the song, it may not exactly match another part of the song from the other day.

The first sync pass was done entirely by sight. As a double check, I examined sound frames from other real-time 16mm film transfers to verify accuracy. It should also be noted that at 25 fps, each frame of film covers 40 ms of sound. While this may not seem like much, being off by only a few frames of film can be very distracting.

I used Pinnacle Studio for the syncing and also the credits. This program is great in both features and bugs. Still I really like it. Over 100 of my rare photos were scanned to create interesting credits.

Compression

In order to work with the DVD standard, the film had to be compressed into MPEG-2 format. To do this I used the trusty TMPGEnc at a constant bitrate of 8000 MBPS. This compressed the film for DVD while retaining the closest possible result to the source. Also note that the total maximum bitrate allowable for DVDs is 9800 MBPS, more than 1500 MBPS of which is taken up by the uncompressed PCM audio. So 8000 MBPS is the true maximum for the video.

As a test I ran TMPEnc see what it ā€œthoughtā€ the ideal bitrate would be before compression would begin to alter the image. It calculated 6500 MBPS so any differences from the DVD compression should only be a result of the MPEG-2 or TMPGEnc limitations, not bitrate.

NTSC

Because many people cannot use PAL DVDs, I thought it would be best to create an NTSC version too. This will have slightly lower quality at 720x480 and a converted frame rate of about 30 frames per second, but using the source video transfer will get the best possible result, much better than converting the PAL DVD later and compressing twice.

Converting from 25 to 30 frames per second is not easy. Most hardware and software that simply duplicate frames make very stuttery video. So for the PAL -> NTSC transfer I used Canopus ProCoder. This is a highly respected transfer program that converts the frame rate, blends frames when necessary, and creates very smooth running film.

However, my personal opinion is that the MPEG-2 tools in ProCoder alter the source too much so I again sent the lossless result from ProCoder over to TMPGEnc for DVD compression at 8000 MBPS.

Authoring

There are many programs to author DVDs and although I know it is not the best, I use DVD Workshop because it is very compatible and I am used to using it. I created a great custom menu with motion buttons, film motif, and background music to go with the credits.

Conclusion

I have worked on more than 15 film transfers and countless video transfers. Honestly, this project (Genesis at Shepperton) has taken much more time than I ever expected and had many more film problems than any I have seen. But my goal was not to have a perfect DVD nor is this possible. There are 1,000 ways to do things and it would take years to explore them all.

What I wanted was a Genesis film transfer that was significantly better than any that came before and one where I didnā€™t say, ā€œI wish I would have doneā€¦ā€ So I read a lot, did everything I knew how to do, and talked to several experts. I give you the Holy Grailā€¦ā€™s older brother.

- King Lerch

snapshot20050701234857bf7.jpg

snapshot20050701234950le9.jpg

snapshot20050701235033zh8.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

indexnt5.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_1970-1975

Disc 1 : Trespass

"Looking for Someone" - 7:02

"White Mountain" - 6:44

"Visions of Angels" - 6:51

"Stagnation" - 8:46

"Dusk" - 4:11

"The Knife" - 8:53

[edit] DVD Visual Extras

Reissues Interview 2007

BBC Sessions: "Looking for Someone", "Stagnation"

[edit] Disc 2 : Nursery Cryme

"The Musical Box" - 10:31

"For Absent Friends" - 1:48

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed" - 8:09

"Seven Stones" - 5:09

"Harold the Barrel" - 3:00

"Harlequin" - 2:56

"The Fountain of Salmacis" - 8:00

[edit] DVD Visual Extras

Reissues Interview 2007

"The Musical Box" (BBC Sessions)

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed" (BBC Sessions)

"Harold the Barrel" (BBC Sessions)

"The Fountain of Salmacis" (BBC Sessions)

"Harlequin" (BBC Sessions)

[edit] Disc 3 : Foxtrot

"Watcher of the Skies" - 7:22

"Time Table" - 4:46

"Get 'Em Out by Friday" - 8:36

"Can-Utility and the Coastliners" - 5:45

"Horizons" - 1:41

"Supper's Ready" - 23:04

"Lover's Leap"

"The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man"

"Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men"

"How Dare I Be So Beautiful?"

"Willow Farm"

"Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)"

"As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)"

[edit] DVD Visual Extras

Reissues Interview 2007

"The Fountain of Salmacis" (Pop Shop 1972)

"Twilight Alehouse" (Pop Shop 1972)

" The Musical Box" (Pop Shop 1972)

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed" (Pop Shop 1972)

"Stagnation" (Italian Television 1972)

"Twilight Alehouse" (BBC Sessions)

"Get 'Em Out by Friday" (BBC Sessions)

"Watcher of the Skies" (BBC Sessions)

[edit] Disc 4 : Selling England by the Pound

"Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" - 8:02

"I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" - 4:10

"Firth of Fifth" - 9:35

"More Fool Me" - 3:10

"The Battle of Epping Forest" - 11:44

"After the Ordeal" - 4:15

"The Cinema Show" - 10:41

"Aisle Of Plenty" - 1:56

[edit] DVD Visual Extras

Reissues Interview 2007

"Watcher of the Skies" (Genesis Concert 1973)

"Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" (Genesis Concert 1973)

"I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" (Genesis Concert 1973)

"The Musical Box" (Genesis Concert 1973)

"Supper's Ready" (Genesis Concert 1973)

"The Musical Box" (French Television 1973)

"Supper's Ready" (French Television 1973)

"The Return of the Giant Hogweed" (French Television 1973)

"The Knife" (French Television 1973)

[edit] Disc 5 : The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

[edit] Disc one

"The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" - 4:51

"Fly on a Windshield" - 2:44

"Broadway Melody of 1974" - 2:11

"Cuckoo Cocoon" - 2:13

"In the Cage" - 8:09

"The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging" - 2:44

"Back in N.Y.C." - 5:36

"Hairless Heart" - 2:06

"Counting Out Time" - 4:12

"The Carpet Crawlers" - 5:11

"The Chamber of 32 Doors" - 5:40

[edit] Disc two

"Lilywhite Lilith" - 2:48

"The Waiting Room" - 5:15

"Anyway" - 3:08

"Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist" - 2:56

"The Lamia" - 6:56

"Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats" - 2:58

"The Colony of Slippermen" - 8:11

"The Arrival"

"A Visit to the Doktor"

"The Raven"

"Ravine" - 2:06

"The Light Dies Down on Broadway" - 3:32

"Riding the Scree" - 4:06

"In the Rapids" - 2:18

"It" - 4:17

[edit] DVD Visual Extras

Reissues Interview 2007

"I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" (Melody 1974)

"Supper's Ready" (Melody 1974)

[edit] Disc 6 : Extra Tracks 1970-1975

"Happy the Man" - 3:10

"Twilight Alehouse" - 7:48

"Going Out to Get You" - 4:55

"Shepherd" - 4:04

"Pacidy" - 5:44

"Let Us Now Make Love" - 6:16

"Provocation" - 4:10

"Frustration" - 3:42

"Manipulation" - 3:49

"Resignation" - 3:01

[edit] DVD Visual Extras

Reissues Interview 2007

VH1 Documentary 1998: Genesis Archive 1967-1975

"Watcher of the Skies" (Midnight Special 1973)

"The Musical Box" (Midnight Special 1973)

• 1 month later...

THE VYNIL BOXSET IS ON THE WAY!!!! :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GXP...ASIN=B001GXPIZ2

The long anticipated 7SACD/6DVD-Boxset 1970-1975 will be released on 10th November (11th November on CD/DVD in North America). EMI Europe has announced another box set - all the albums from 1970 to 1975 will be released on November 10 on vinyl. The vinyl box set 1970-1975 contains all studio albums from that era (excluding extra tracks) in their original covers in gatefold sleeves. This is premium-class 200g vinyl. The records were produced in a so-called "high quality half-speed-mastering". The box will be released as a clipcase and it will be a limited edition. Watch this space for further information and photos

more info here B)

http://www.genesis-news.com/news/index.html

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/news-Genesis...endigt-n72.html

19701975ov4.jpg

German review of the Genesis 1970-1975 promo CD & DVD B)

(may anyone translate it? :D )

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/c-Genesis-19...nsion-s300.html

Genesis - 1970-1975 Promo Sampler (CD+DVD)

Aisle of Plenty ... oder die Frage: Was sind die definitiven Versionen?

Nun ist es soweit - die Verƶffentlichung des SACD/DVD Boxsets 1970-1975 steht in den Startlƶchern. EMI lieferte vorab an die Medienpartner wie schon bei den letzten beiden Boxsets einen CD-Sampler und einen DVD-Sampler aus. Diese sind als Appetizer zu verstehen und sollen einen Eindruck zu den neuen Stereo und 5.1-Mixen vermitteln.

A History...

Bereits 2004 sollte The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway als SACD und DVD-Audio erscheinen. Was folgt, war eine lange Odysee voller Verschiebungen und MiƟverstƤndnisse. SchlieƟlich entschied man sich, das ganze "richtig" zu machen und alle Alben als SACD-Hybride mit Bonus-DVD zu verƶffentlichen. Einer der GrĆ¼nde fĆ¼r die Verschiebung war der Perfektionismus von Peter Gabriel. Dieser war nach dem ersten Hƶren nicht mit The Lamb einverstanden und schickte Nick Davis zurĆ¼ck ins Studio, um es "richtig zu machen" und die "Mƶglichkeiten des Surround Sounds" zu nutzen. So verwunderte es nicht, dass parallel zur Turn It On Again Tour 2007 zunƤchst die Jahre 1976-1982 und spƤter die SpƤtphase 1983-1998 als SACD verƶffentlicht wurde. Tony Smith rƤumte Anfang 2008 darĆ¼ber hinaus dann ein, dass man bzgl. des Gabriel-Ƅra Boxsets ein wenig auf eine mƶgliche Reunion-Tour mit Gabriel spekuliert hatte.

Bereits nach den Verƶffentlichungen der ersten beiden Boxsets haben Fans Ć¼ber die Legitimation der "neuen Mixe" teilweise hitzig diskutiert und gnadenlos Abweichungen und Fehler aufgedeckt. Zur Erinnerung: Auf Basis der alten Mastertapes wurde neue Stereo und 5.1-Surround-Mixe erstellt. Dies geschah mƶglichst nah am Original, so dass die Songs im Optimalfall deutlich besser, aber nicht anders klingen. Deswegen wurden auch keine neuen Aufnahme oder Effekte verwendet - manche Hall-Effekte mussten aber neu produziert werden, da sie in den MehrspurbƤndern nicht enthalten waren.

Nichtsdestotrotz wichen z. B. die Laufzeiten der Songs ab - in manchen FƤllen wurden falsche Aufnahmen verwendet - so ist der Basslauf bei Anything Now an manchen Stellen ein anderer, Dreaming While You Sleep enthƤlt ein "oh" zu viel und Anything She Does weist gleich eine ganze Reihe Abweichungen auf. Dies sind nur drei Beispiele. Aus diesen GrĆ¼nden kann erwartet werden, dass die Songs der Gabriel-Ƅra in ihren neuen Mixen eine leidenschaftliche, wenn nicht sogar verbissene Diskussion provozieren werden.

Die Promo-CD enthƤlt folgende Tracks:

Happy The Man

Resignation

The Knife

Harold The Barrel

Musical Box

Get'em Out By Friday

I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

Cinema Show

Counting Out Time

Carpet Crawlers

Vorab muss gesagt werden, dass die neuen Mixe zu Happy The Man und I Know What I Like schon bekannt sind, diese wurden bereits auf Turn It On Again: The Hits (Tour Edition) verƶffentlicht. Dennoch wurden erst vor kurzem, sozusagen posthum, von einigen Fans Abweichungen zum Original festgestellt - bei I Know What I Like ist das Flƶtensolo - oder zumindest Teile davon - in den Hintergrund gemischt worden. AuƟer den beiden genannten Tracks wurde auch bereits The Cinema Show in der neuen Version verƶffentlicht - auf einem Mail On Sunday Promo-Sampler.

Die meiste Aufmerksamkeit dĆ¼rfte das bislang unbekannte StĆ¼ck Resignation wecken. Es ist Teil der legendƤren Jackson-Tapes und wurde mit auf den Promo-Sampler gepackt. Allerdings ist Resignation ein Instrumental, dazu ein relativ unspektakulƤres, vielleicht mit der Ausnahme des Schlusses. Dazu ist es wenig aussagekrƤftig, so dass man davon ausgehen kann, dass bei der Auswahl der Songs fĆ¼r diesen Sampler wohl nicht die geballte Fachkompetenz am Werk war.

Weitere Highlights des Promo-Samplers: Counting Out Time und Carpet Crawlers - beide waren schon auf der Platinum Collection in neuen Versionen zu hƶren, diese hier sind noch einen Tick schƤrfer und prƤziser. Counting Out Time "spielt" mit den Lead-Vocals, man merkt nicht mehr, wenn mal Phil, mal Peter dem Lead-Part Ć¼bernimmt. Faszinierend...

Carpet Crawlers gewinnt an Kontur, wirkt belebt, erfrischt. Als hƤtte jemand den Song kalt geduscht und den Kreislauf damit in Schwung gebracht. Kurios: Am Ende fehlt ein Teil von Phils Background-Gesang - Fans merken eben alles ...

Zu guter Letzt sei noch Get'em Out By Friday hervorgehoben. Dieser Song ist zum ersten Mal in einer neuen Version zu hƶren und auch hier gilt: Frischzellenkur-Alarm. WƤhrend Watcher Of The Skies (siehe unten) in der Studioversion nie wirklich funktioniert hat, ist es bei Get'em Out By Friday genau umgekehrt. Und so entfaltet sich der Song, Hƶhen klingen nun treffsicherer, die Drums prƤziser und NebengerƤusche kƶnnen deutlich wahrgenommen werden. Hier steigt die Vorfreude auf den 5.1 Mix...

Der DVD-Sampler vereint nun ein paar neue Surround-Abmischungen. Diese liegen im normalen Dolby Digital 5.1 vor, aber auch in sattem dts 5.1, was einer SACD relativ nahe kommt. Wir haben die Songs im dts-Sound getestet und liefern hier einen - zugegebenermaƟen subjektiven - Ɯberblick:

The Knife

Wenn es so etwas gibt, wie den Song, "mit dem alles anfing", dann hat The Knife gute Chancen, diesen Titel zu erhalten. Auch die Promo-DVD fƤngt mit The Knife an, dabei war der Song vor allem immer eines: eine Zugabe. Doch mit The Knife begann der Kult der frĆ¼hen Genesis und kurioserweise spielten Genesis den Song 1980 zum letzten mal - spƤtestens mit Duke erklƤrten die Fans der frĆ¼hen Genesis die progressive Phase fĆ¼r beendet. Das Album Trespass hatte immer diesen anderen Klang - und es hatte einen anderen Drummer und Gitarristen als die anderen Alben der Gabriel-Ƅra, die im Boxset enthalten sind. Und schnell wird klar: Hier wird nichts aufpoliert, damit die Drums plƶtzlich wie Collins klingen. The Knife ist eigentlich ein unspektakulƤrer Remix. Es klingt allgemein relativ dumpf, wie schon im Original, hier und da hƶrt man die Becken etwas klarer. Der Gesang ist nicht nur auf den Center-Speaker konzentriert. Gelegentlich, vor allem bei den "stand up and fight"-Passagen, wird Gabriels Stimme auf mehrere Boxen verteilt. Die Vermutung liegt nahe, dass aus The Knife nicht mehr herauszuholen war. Definitiv werden Puristen diese Version als Highlight bezeichnen.

The Musical Box

Mit Spannung erwartet werden natĆ¼rlich die Surround-Versionen der Klassiker, darunter auch The Musical Box. Nick Davis hatte allerdings schon angekĆ¼ndigt, dass die Mƶglichkeiten bei Trespass und Nursery Cryme begrenzt sind, da hier noch keine 32 Spuren aufgenommen wurden, sondern nur 8 oder 16. Vor diesem Hintergrund kƶnnte The Musical Box einer DER Gewinner der Neuabmischungen sein. Es klingt frischer, gewaltiger, an ruhigen Stellen vernĆ¼nftig dezent und Surround-Effekte werden dort eingesetzt, wo sie Sinn machen (z. B. Phils Stimme, wenn er "here it comes again" singt). Der Gesang profitiert wieder durch die Center-Abmischung. The Musical Box wirkt als Gesamtpaket verbessert, weitere Einzelheiten herauszuheben, wƤre hier vƶllig fehl am Platz.

Watcher Of The Skies

Der Live-Klassiker wurde erst in den letzten Jahren wieder eindrucksvoll durch die kanadische Band "The Musical Box" wiederbelebt. Die Impressionen der Live-AuffĆ¼hrung sind noch so frisch, dass man sich fragt, ob im Original nach dem Intro Phils Becken wirklich "nur" eingefadet waren - aber das war in der Studioversion tatsƤchlich immer so. Das Intro wirkt im Surround-Sound gleich viel dramatischer, die einsetzenden Becken klingen brillant, die Bass-drum ist wuchtig - und das alles klingt klarer und erdrĆ¼ckt sich nicht gegenseitig. Die Snare-drum kƶnnte hier und da lauter sein, dafĆ¼r sind die Drums im Surround insgesamt interessant verteilt. Ɯber den Center-Speaker wird hauptsƤchlich Gabriels Gesang ausgegeben, der dadurch wie bei zahlreichen anderen vergleichbaren Beispielen sehr klar rĆ¼berkommt. Steve's Gitarre wandert im Surround durch den Raum und das Finale des Songs ist furios. Aber dennoch: Watcher Of The Skies war nie ein Studio-Track - es ist ein Live-Track ...

Firth Of Fifth

Der Klassiker von 1973 enthƤlt das definitive Steve Hackett-Solo. Dies wurde oft kopiert, aber nie erreicht. Technisch nicht das anspruchsvollste Solo, aber dieser Stil ist unkopierbar. Stuermer hat das gar nicht erst versucht, sondern spielte eine hƶher-schneller-weiter-Variante und Drennan war 1998 zwar nah dran, aber niemals beeindruckend.

Der Song bliebt bis heute einer der stƤrksten Genesis-Songs Ć¼berhaupt - nicht zuletzt deswegen hat er selten im Live-Repertoir der Band gefehlt - bis heute.

Die 5.1-Version auf dem DVD-Sampler wird diesem Anspruch mehr als gerecht. Wie zu erwarten war kommen Percussion-Elemente zum Vorschein, die vorher kaum oder gar nicht zu hƶren waren. Gabriels Stimme kommt schwerpunktmƤƟig aus dem Center-Speaker, die Drums sind druckvoll und der Bass den verschiedenen Phasen des Songs angemessen druckvoll oder dezent. Der absolute Hƶhepunklt ist der Instrumentalteil. Auch hier beginnt es mit vielen aha-Effekten bzgl. der Percussions, ehe Hacketts Solo den Zuhƶrer verzaubert. Die Lead-Gitarre ist auf den Center-Speaker konzentriert, genau wie die Lead-Stimme zuvor. Dieser Effekt rĆ¼ckt Hacketts Arbeit ins Zentrum des Geschehens. Und plƶtzlich hƶrt man auch die 12-string-Gitarre in den Rear-Speakern. Collins Drums treiben den Song an, ehe am Ende Tonys Klavierspiel den Song leise ausklingen lƤsst.

Viele werden Firth Of Fifth in dieser Surround-Version neu entdecken, ein absolutes Juwel feiert eine frischzellenkur-inspirierte Wiederauferstehung.

Twilight Alehouse

Der Song wird auf der Extra-Tracks SACD/DVD enthalten sein, Twilight Alehouse war seinerzeit eine B-Seite (auf der Single I Know What I Like). Der Song entstand aber bereits wesentlich frĆ¼her wƤhrend der Sessions zu Nursery Cryme. Entsprechend muss man auch den 5.1-Mix vor diesem Hintergrund bewerten. Die luftigen Stellen, wie z. B. der Beginn, profitieren deutlich vom 5.1-Sound und der neuen Abmischung. Bei den dichter instrumentierten Elementen des Songs kann man keine deutliche Verbesserung feststellen. Grund dafĆ¼r dĆ¼rfte das Basismaterial sein, das zu Zeiten von Nursery Cryme einfach weniger ausdifferenziert war als spƤter zur Selling England By The Pound-Zeit. Positiv fƤllt auf, dass die Bass-Drum nicht planlos, sondern ausgewogen abgemischt wurde - je nach GesamtatmosphƤre der entsprechenden Songstellen. In der ruhigen Phase bei etwa 5.00 min kann man dann wieder erstaunliche Effekte hƶren, besonders die Flƶtenparts kommen gut zur Geltung. Das Finale ist druckvoll und klingt auch besser als die "lauteren" Passagen zuvor.

In The Cage

Die grĆ¶ĆŸten Erwartungen liegen seit Jahren auf den Neuabmischungen des Mythos The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Es gibt bessere Genesis-Alben, A Trick Of The Tail und Selling England By The Pound stehen bei Genesis-Fans durchaus hƶher im Kurs. Gleichzeitig sind diese beiden Alben auch besser produziert als The Lamb. Und so fragt sich der Fan, was Nick Davis aus dem Album rausholen kann - zumal er von Peter Gabriel zwischenzeitlich zurĆ¼ck ins Studio geschickt wurde, um vor allem aus dem 5.1-Mix mehr herauszuholen. Mit einer dezenten Version ist also angesichts von Peters Faible fĆ¼r Effekte nicht zu rechnen. Bei In The Cage fƤllt im Vergleich zu zum Beispiel Firth Of Fifth schnell auf, dass man beim Selling-Album sorgƤltiger aufgenommen hat. Der gesamte Grundsound des Lamb-Albums fƤllt im Vergleich dazu ab. Der 5.1-Mix von In The Cage ist aber ein erfreuliches Erlebnis. Zwar ist es nach Jahrzehnten irgendwie komisch, dass Peter Gabriel diesen Song singt (Phil Collins sang das StĆ¼ck auf fast jeder Genesis-Tour seit 1976) und es ist auch unbestritten, dass die Live-Versionen dieses Songs eine Steigerung im Vergleich zur Studioversion sind - jedoch entlockt Nick Davis dem Song ungeahnte Tiefen. Das ein oder andere Percussion-Element wird nun aus den Rear-Boxen gezaubert und ist nicht wie in den alten Stereo-Versionen vom Gesamtklangteppich zugekleistert worden. Das Schlagzeug erreicht nicht die Brillanz wie auf der Live-Aufnahme des Archive 1967-1975-Sets, dafĆ¼r verfehlt Mike Rutherfords Basslauf nach der Textzeile "my little runaway" seine Wirkung nicht. In The Cage ist als 5.1-Version ein echtr Appetizer und deutet vermutlich nur an, was mit dem 5.1-Mix von The Lamb wirklich auf uns zukommt.

Fazit

Wie schon bei den Promo-Samplern des zweiten Boxsets ist auch bei diesen Samplern die Songauswahl etwas merkwĆ¼rdig und es darf bezweifelt werden, dass diese Songs einen reprƤsentativen Eindruck des gesamten Boxsets vermitteln kƶnnen. Auf jeden Fall deuten die Songs der Sampler an, was auf uns zu kommt und sie machen Lust auf mehr. Und schon muss man einsehen, dass der Zweck erfĆ¼llt ist. Ob dies allerdings auch bei Journalisten der Fall sein wird, bleibt abzuwarten.

Die grĆ¶ĆŸte PrĆ¼fung sind am Ende ohnehin die Fans. Sind das nun die definitiven Versionen der Songs? Oder sind es Variationen, die mehrheitlich als Bonus gesehen werden, nicht aber die Ursprungsversionen ersetzen kƶnnen? Das werden die Fans entscheiden ...

Autor: Christian Gerhardts

genbox7075procdcoverbn6.jpg

genbox7075prodvdcoveric2.jpg

http://www.genesis-news.com

You may have seen on our news page that the bonus DVD for The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is to include "slides from The Lamb". Those very slides we all could see on The Musical Box's Lamb tour.

We are very pleased to be able to announce that well-informed sources now confirmed:

The bonus DVD will have ALL the original slides that could be seen in the show.

The slides can be seen in groups of three next to each other (as in the show)

They will be shown in front of a black backdrop or unobtrusive photos from the shows

During those parts of the concert without slides Super 8 or video snippets from the show will be shown

Genesis asked Serge Morissette, artistic director of The Musical Box)

to consult the band about it and put this slideshow together and make it this complete product that can be seen on the Lamb bonus DVD of the box set.

cc3fr2.jpg

slip1zs3.jpg

lam10lv0.jpg

:D:)B)

Genesis: 7 CD/6DVD Boxset (1970 -1975) Streets 11/11/08

GENESIS, IN THE BEGINNING

Rhino Concludes an Upgrade to the Group's Catalog With the Third and Final Box Set of the Series That Will Cover the Critically Acclaimed Peter Gabriel Era

Contains 5 Studio Albums (1970-1975) Expanded with Bonus Audio and Video, Plus an Exclusive Disc of Rarities

7-CD/6-DVD Boxed Set will be Available November 11 From Rhino

LOS ANGELES ā€¹ Since launching an upgrade of the entire Genesis catalog last year, the comprehensive series has followed Genesis' transformation from prog-rock pioneers to stadium-filling power trio. With the final installment, Rhino ends at the beginning with a set covering the band's early years with lead singer, Peter Gabriel. GENESIS: 1970-1975 will be available November 11 from regular retail outlets and at http://www.rhino.com for a suggested list price of $139.98.

Produced by Banks, Collins, and Rutherford, GENESIS: 1970-1975 presents five of the band's studio albums as CD/DVD sets featuring new stereo mixes of the original albums on CD, along with a DVD that includes the original album in 5.1 DTS (96/24) and Dolby Digital Surround Sound, plus bonus videos and new interviews with band members filmed exclusively for these reissues. The set contains hours of previously unreleased video as well as photo galleries featuring rare pictures and tour memorabilia.

One of the top-selling recording artists of all time, Genesis has sold more than 150 million albums so far. This 7-CD/6-DVD set collects some of the band's most adventurous and ground-breaking albums, covering Peter Gabriel's tenure with the group.

GENESIS: 1970-1975 spotlights five albums TRESPASS, NURSERY CRYME, FOXTROT, SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND and THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY, plus EXTRAS 1970-1975, a newly assembled compilation only available with this collection.

Featuring favorites like "The Knife" and "White Mountain," Genesis' second album, TRESPASS (1970), marked the beginning of a five-year journey that saw the band create ever-more daring albums of progressive rock. The album includes guitarist Anthony Phillips and drummer John Mayhew, who were replaced on the following album by Steve Hackett and Phil Collins respectively.

NURSERY CRYME (1971) opens with "The Musical Box," a beautiful 10-minute sprawl that captures the essence of the band's sophisticated musicality tweaked with freewheeling theatrics. Genesis' new lineup starts to define its unique voice on songs like "The Return Of The Giant Hogweed" and "The Fountain Of Salmacis."

The band returned the following year with FOXTROT (1972), a breakthrough album hailed by critics and embraced by fans, especially in England where it reached #12. Two tracks in particular "Watcher Of The Skies" and "Supper's Ready" became live staples for years to come. Nearly filling the album's second half, "Supper's Ready" stands as an avant-garde showcase for each member's individual talents. DVD extras include: over 30 minutes of live video from 1972 of the band performing on Belgian television's Rock of the 70s and on stage at the Piper Club in Italy.

Genesis' popularity continued to grow with its fifth studio album, SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND (1973). These eight songs find the band's inventive storytelling and imaginative arrangements coming into sharper focus with "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" Genesis' first hit single in the U.K. The album also introduced audiences to "The Cinema Show" and "Firth Of Fifth," songs that would become popular concert staples. DVD extras

include: video from 1973 recorded during a performance on Italian television and on stage in Bataclan, France over one and a half hours of live performance.

The band wasn't at a loss for inspiration for THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY (1974), a double album about a Puerto Rican hood searching for his brother. It was to be Gabriel's final release with Genesis. The band toured for the album, performing the entire 90-minute album along with an ambitious stage show complete with costume changes, theatrical lighting and pyrotechnics. The title track, "Carpet Crawlers" and "In The Cage" remain popular parts of the band's live show. The album will be presented with the Surround Sound mix. Additional bonus features will be included on a DVD, including a performance on the French television show Melody.

GENESIS concludes with EXTRAS 1970-1975, a disc of rarities offered exclusively as part of this boxed set. The compilation contains 10 tracks, including the 7" single "Happy The Man," a demo of "Going Out To Get You,"

and the b-side "Twilight Alehouse." A trio of songs "Shepherd," "Pacidy"

and "Let Us Now Make Love" are taken from the BBC program Nightride. The disc also includes a VH1 Boxed Set Special on Genesis 1967-1975 and a performance from the Midnight Special.

The final four songs on EXTRA TRACKS 1970-1975 "Provocation,"

"Frustration," "Manipulation," and "Resignation" are the legendary "Genesis Plays Jackson" tapes. The band recorded these songs in 1970 for a documentary about painter Mick Jackson. The documentary never happened and the songs were lost until now. Fans will notice how sections of this music evolved into other songs. "Frustration" is an early version of "Anyway"

from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, while "Manipulation" features themes heard later in "The Musical Box" from Nursery Cryme.

For additional information regarding GENESIS 1970-1975, please contact Christoph Buerger in the Rhino Records Media Relations Department at

818-238-6248 or Christoph.Buerger@wmg.com.

suppersreadyue8lt1.jpg

33225034ty6.jpg

In rising price order:

amazon.com 113,49 $US CD/NTSC

whatrecords.co.uk 74,99 Ā£ SACD/?

elusivedisc.com 139,99 $US CD/NTSC

amazon.de 112,97 ā‚¬ SACD/PAL

amazon.com 154,98 $US SACD/PAL

hmv.com 88,99 Ā£ SACD/?

bestbuy.com 159,99 $US CD?/PAL

amazon.co.uk 94,99 Ā£ SACD/PAL

jpc.de 129,99 ā‚¬ SACD/PAL?