music peaked?

No - things move in cycles. Also, there is a lot of very interesting music out there now. I think you have to be careful not to get caught up in nostalgia. There was a lot of great music in the 70s, and I don't think there is as much good music now, but there is still good stuff around.

No - things move in cycles. Also, there is a lot of very interesting music out there now. I think you have to be careful not to get caught up in nostalgia. There was a lot of great music in the 70s, and I don't think there is as much good music now, but there is still good stuff around.

Thank you, Cactus. I am very interested in the topic of music. Specifically, is there a "Best Band"? Or, is it just a function of one's experiences, etc. I am working on a theory that rock has been saturated by "The Beatles" and "Led Zeppelin" and that there is no room left for original music. What do you think?

Thank you, Cactus. I am very interested in the topic of music. Specifically, is there a "Best Band"? Or, is it just a function of one's experiences, etc. I am working on a theory that rock has been saturated by "The Beatles" and "Led Zeppelin" and that there is no room left for original music. What do you think?

Certainly there is no way to objectively measure who is 'the best'. Record sales do not always reflect a band's artistic merits, and vice-versa, artistic merit does not always lead to record sales.

It is all subjective. For me, something about the 'sound' of Led Zeppelin appeals to my ear. I don't know why - I've never been really into the blues, but I much prefer 'blues based rock' compared to 'soft rock' or the stuff which was more 'classically' inspired. For example, Joe Satriani vs. Steve Vai - technically both brilliant, but Satch has a more bluesy sensibility than Vai, and for some reason I prefer it....I am always drawn to guitar driven music, however.

That doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, as you said, that's just my experience.

No room left for originality? I certainly think the stars aligned for Rock in the 70s, people wanted to grow their hair and break the rules, and rock was the soundtrack to that social movement.

Music has become a lot more commercial now. Also, the big bands like you mentioned became so big that all other bands must follow in their footsteps in some way. However I think there is still room for originality.

I'm a big fan of Jack White - White Stripes and the Saboteurs/Raconteurs (depending where you are in the world they have different names). I think what he has done is create a new sound with the guitar, while relying heavily on blues/rock roots.

Yes...and no. Yes for now because really no good bands came out after like 83-84 except maybe Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Nirvana. And no because it is possible famous bands will not suck at playing their instruments, people will learn how to right music again.

it's harder today. you have to be a better musician today to keep up with what came before you. many of the melodies , chord progressions , song themes, styles and such that come naturally to pattern when you compose have been used up by other people. (as far as a strait ahead rock song goes) if people want to keep fresh they are going to have to do as zep did. they are going to have to incorporate other music from other cultures into their style. not everyone likes that type of music . if you just love rock n roll and your palette is not colorful it wont work for you. you have to be creative and repackage already used ideas and put your own twist on them.

that being said. there's always been a handful of bands that stand out in their era

to become legends in the next. they are surrounded by a thousand other bands trying to emulate it generically. record companies do not like taking risks. they see something that works, and go with it and anything remotely resembling it. when it becomes stagnant

the underground is waiting for you to discover it.

Archived