Brits - North/South divide....

Little Miss

Guest housesoftheholy
Well this is a very interesting thread. I really did learn something here. I will try to tell the difference from now on between the different accents of the U.K.. Now that I know that you all get offended. But I still stand by my post when I said, it does'nt bother me at all if people from outside the U.S. say I have an American accent. I am proud to be an American and even though we may speak a little different, we are one nation under God.

Also under impressive hand held firearms, peach cobblers, rusty pickup trucks, cheerleaders, and possibly F5 tornadoes*.

*Created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster and his noodley minions. Or possibly his fallen nemesis the Flying Crème brûlée Monster, in which case I'm moving to the dark side as much as I love sanctimonious carbohydrates.

LesPaul,

What exactly is a "Pennsylvania-like" accent? I'm from Pennsylvania and I don't know what this means. If you're from Philadelphia, I think you sound a bit like people from New Jersey (water="waduh") and old school folks from Pittsburgh are quite different as well (Yinz want primantis?). Then again, I'm from the southeastern part of the state so I think I'm rather... accentless.

Sorry;I should have clarified the fact that I was referring to mainly the cities.I think that if someone starts in say,DC,and heads north;the accents get more and more pronounced the further north you go,I'm assuming until there's no further to go.

It seems that the further from the city one gets;the more the accent evolves into something entirely different.I don't think you're accentless,you just don't hear it. B)

Maybe this'll help:

Accent quiz

My results:

Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Despite the fact that's it's dead on,I think it's a crock.What if someone is just a stickler for pronunciation?

What American accent do you have?

Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

This isn't me......ok, yes it is, except I call it soda not pop.

Midlands even though I have lived in the South all my life.

The strangest American accent to me is Southern Lousiana. I recently spent several months there and I had trouble understanding a Cajun accent.

Archived