Big Wreck

danelectro59

4 minutes ago, The Pagemeister said:

Thx for sharing 😎🎸👍🎶

one of my favorite groups

(saw them two years ago in Atlanta)

cool to see their former guitarist back in the live touring group for now and to see a new drummer (ex Thornley drummer).

The Intro (First minute) has an homage to Led Zeppelin’s, “In The Light”. 

R😎

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, reids said:

Excellent 😎🎸👍🎶

hope there’s an album (& Not just a few singles / ep). 

R😎

Sort of a new approach to releasing music. I am unsure of the success of strategy because I am old, entrenched in my ways and what the fuck do I know! Ha! The collection of songs was a 15 song bunch. It was deemed too rich in content to release as a single “album cycle”.  It will be run out over the course of a year and 3 touring cycles. 3 EP’s, 5 songs each. 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and then possibly packaged as a whole. I have heard it all and it is magnificent! They are peaking 23 years into the game! 22 is gonna be a GREAT year!

Yep. Was afraid of that. Hope they just do what Ringo is doing... release 5 song eps every 6 or so months over the year and a half and 3 tour cycles... I like my cd 💿 collection too much to buy singles . I hope they do a limited edition cd or limited 3 CD Edition .

R😎

Here’s a HEAVY and light (like Zep) BW track called Bombs Away. The tail of the solo has that subtle high echo from Dazed and Confused that gives me chills!

And here’s some dissection of the track….

Edited by BUK

Thanks for sharing. Great behind the scenes studio stuff. It’d be cool to see a track by track review in the studio once all three (7.1-7.3) EP’s are released. 

Comment: They could have tried a reverse gate while isolating frequencies through an aux bus to get rid of the chuck (shoes squeak from hi hat, as mentioned)... 

R😎

57 minutes ago, reids said:

Thanks for sharing. Great behind the scenes studio stuff. It’d be cool to see a track by track review in the studio once all three (7.1-7.3) EP’s are released. 

Comment: They could have tried a reverse gate while isolating frequencies through an aux bus to get rid of the chuck (shoes squeak from hi hat, as mentioned)... 

R😎

The drummer is Sekou Lumumba. Chuck had to bail for personal reasons. I will relay the studio wizardry you suggested to Ian! Ha!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this is appropriate for the thread....

Plus I wrote a gushy thing...

High on the Hog
My thoughts....
So this on the surface is an obvious one. This hits a Zep-lovers sweet spot. I think that it is influenced deeply by the “Big Band” lean that Zep showed throughout their live jams. I remember the old butcher that used to work for me, back in 1980. I was playing some live Zep and he says, “that’s just Big Band riffs”... I was completely insulted, until I looked into it, and damned if he wasn’t right! It’s all a continuum. Just imagine that opening as a horn section! Either way the power and swing are evident.

The drumming has that Bonham thwack and swing. The precedent for HOTH (wow it’s even the same acronym as Houses of the Holy!) to me is Hots on for Nowhere. That is the most blatant Big Band-ish tracks and one of my favorites!

Ian’s guitar work has SO MANY TASTY TID BITS! All the little bends in the first verse and those step down hick-up time changes are classic Zep! His vocals are some of Ian’s best Plant phrasing! Oh-Woah! Even the tone of the guitar accents are in the “horn” range.

The song seems to me to be about the historical music biz. From the gravy days of the 70’s to the bankrupt present where we consume music for free! All about the greed of the music biz. I remember thinking that they needed to find that sweet-spot price wise for a song just as Napster hit. If they could have embraced the digital age instead of fighting it there would have been more for the artists. But they were high on the hog and missed it! Kinda funny.... “I’m funny how, I mean funny like I’m a clown, I amuse you?” If you know, you know.

Can’t wait to hear the “ding dongs” in the chorus in the Behind the Scenes on this one! Chorus on the first round, is tight and short.... just a preview, like Ian always does. Set up that anticipation for the second.

The next verse has so much candy going on! It will deliver over hundreds, no thousands of listens! He is soloing all over this! Accent, wiggle, accent, tippy toe wiggle..... I need to isolate all these tracks!!! Beato save me!

Then Sekou at his kinetic best leads us into that second chorus! Just glorious! “The dreams are shattered while your getting paid....” then that guitar riff that we heard first in the outro of All is Fair live! LOVE that riff!

Then we hit the bridge.... we switch from a trad Zep to and 80’s driver (and there’s all kinds of wyndee stuff going on in there too! It brought to mind an old fave of mine.

Bram Tchaikowsky - The Motors - Dancing the Night Away
https://youtu.be/khXhQJFqFu0?t=277

And then we go full GnR! Kind of a redux of Welcome to the Jungle. The music biz hog ties the artist until they bleed. Chugga-Chugga and step up to launch... “Givin’ this AWAY FOR FREE!!!” WOW!

Now we’re full bore! For one more chorus round! You got ding dongs, accents, tumble-downs! Glorious!

But we’re not done yet! That outro is pure Page stutter.
To me it’s that “Woody Wood Pecker” stuttering riff that Page plays in For Your Life -
https://youtu.be/zkFh7fC7-h8?t=182

That stomp, that studder.... and then Davey just takes OVER! His playing around all the structure is so crazy wonderful!!! That hot aggressive attack on the bass weaves in and out. This is going to be a MONSTER jam live!!!

Edited by BUK

Cool video... I ordered the 7.1 (I wonder if they name it 7.1, aa in Canada day being July first) EP (on cd today via amazon as an import) to support the band . I know it’s only 5 songs for $14, but it’s still better than most groups who may only have 2 or 3 good songs on an entire album. All 5 songs are killer ; no filler.

R😎

• 2 weeks later...

Ian Thornley always seems to have a bit of the Zep going on in many of his compositions... some very subtle, some not so subtle.
Here is a playlist with maybe the most overt... (you gotta open in youtube to access the playlist)

Happy New Year!

Edited by BUK

• 4 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 6:55 AM, BUK said:

New Big Wreck single from their forthcoming EP 7.2! Spit it Out  Some hear a little Zep! What a RIPPER!!!!!

Cool stuff 😎👍🎶 yes. A little tip of the hat to Zeppelin there (w/ some flavors of Gallows, HHWCID, Black Dog, etc)... can’t wait til 7.2 (2 of 3) comes out on cd, etc...

R😎

• 1 month later...

This is the BIG dog on what might be Big Wreck's finest 5 songs.
I believe that Jimmy would be proud.....

Here is the full playlist of 7.2

Edited by BUK

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2022 at 6:40 AM, BUK said:

This is the BIG dog on what might be Big Wreck's finest 5 songs.
I believe that Jimmy would be proud.....

Here is the full playlist of 7.2

😎👍🎶

I ordered the 7.2 EP cd today.

R😎

Edited by reids

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...