Page's pickups.

pinky

For the number 1, 2, and 3 were they just standard PAFs on a 1959 LP. If so what was the exactly was the name of them. And I know he switched the bridge various times on the no. 1 if you could tell me what those were called, and I have no idea what is on the no. 3. One last thing to mention I have looked many places for this info but all I got was that he had PAF's.

Early on they were PAFs but were switched out in the early 70s to t-tops/t-buckers, which are slightly lower output and brighter.

There aren't any particular names of PAFs, the reference of "PAF" simply refers to the first run of Seth Lover's humbuckers, before they had a patent when the patent was being applied for, thus they all had a sticker on the back that said "patent applied for" thus denoting "PAF".

#1 still has a PAF in the neck position (presumably the original) with a DC resistance of 8.1k IIRC (info originally from the Gibson team that checked out #1 to make the signature series guitars).

The bridge was replaced with the T-top pickup (named after a T shaped molding mark in the bobbin) after the PAF died during the Australian tour. The pickup that is there today may still be that same one, but is possibly a custom wind from Seymour Duncan.

On #3 (assuming we're talking about the cherry red LP) they would have originally also have been T-tops. In 1986 (I think) a GW article claimed they were currently SD custom wounds, but gave no reason for the alleged change. By the time of Coverdale Page it looked like a new (covered) pickup had gone into the neck position. Personaly I have speculated this may be a PAF, but outside of Jimmy & his tech no one really knows for sure.

#2 is where it gets sketchy: When he first brought out the guitar in 1975 there were two PAFs on board. By 1982 this guitar had been modified with the infamous 2 switches + 4 push pulls system. PAFs don't have the right number of connector wires to take that settup, so either the pickups have been rewound or they were modern replacements: SD being the obvious suggestion. Then this guitar showed up at the O2 gig with (seemingly) yet another different bridge pickup. The old PAF back again?

Again, no one knows for sure... ;)

The Seymour Duncan custom shop do an "unlisted" Jimmy Page pickup (phone them up to discuss your specific needs) which is probably based on the custom units they have made for him in the past, but for which guitar, and when...

All good harmless fun! :D

They have to have made different models of pickups back then for example there are Dimarzio PAF DP103, Dimarzio PAF DP213, Dimarzio PAF DP759, and there's gotta be something else like that for T-Top. All I see on the interenet is he used PAF's, then a T-Top, and now is thought to use a customized Seymour Duncan. Well...what is the EXACT name of the pickups they can't just be regular PAF's etc... because those don't exist. Or is it not known what he had.

They have to have made different models of pickups back then for example there are Dimarzio PAF DP103, Dimarzio PAF DP213, Dimarzio PAF DP759, and there's gotta be something else like that for T-Top. All I see on the interenet is he used PAF's, then a T-Top, and now is thought to use a customized Seymour Duncan. Well...what is the EXACT name of the pickups they can't just be regular PAF's etc... because those don't exist. Or is it not known what he had.

Read my first post.

The original PAF was a Gibson pickup, it was the original humbucker model created by Seth Lover for the les paul. "PAF" is only a reference to the original humbuckers with the "Patent Applied For" sticker. Remember, this was the FIRST humbucker, the humbucker was not even patented at the time, thus the "PAF" sticker.

The Dimarzios, Seymour Duncan, etc. etc. "PAF" are not real PAFs, they're humbuckers voiced like the original PAFs, REAL PAF's go for obscene prices these days. I've even seen T-tops going for several thousand on ebay.

What about the Bustbuckers that are on the 59 re-issues.

Basically just Gibson's own reissue of the PAF. They're ok, I don't really think they sound all that great for the price they cost. You're better off getting WCRs, High Order, WB... etc etc.

Archived