Kyuss

Jarlaxle 56

Basically, the band that invented Stoner Rock, also very psychedelic. If you like Queens of The Stone Age (Josh Homme was the lead guitarist for Kyuss) I highly recommend this band.

I'm looking into getting into more of the desert/stoner/psychedelia/rock scene, and am loving it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_rock#Notable_scene_bands

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hkN1bBVz9Fw

They are badass, I recommend their album "Welcome to Sky Valley".

If you think grunge was the only revolution in rock music at the turn of the 90s you are sorely mistaken.

• 2 years later...

http://stonerrock.com/news/news.asp?NewsID=8837

Kyuss Lives! Australian Tour Announced

kyuss-bass-amp.jpg

via Blabbermouth

Maybe there is hope for an American tour after all.

Three-quarters of KYUSS — the influential American stoner rock/metal band, originally from Palm Desert, California — will embark on Australian tour next May under the moniker KYUSS LIVES! Bassist Nick Olivieri, drummer Brant Bjork and singer John Garcia will be joined by guitarist Bruno Fevery, who most recently played with Garcia in the GARCIA PLAYS KYUSS project.

The dates are as follows:

May 04 - Gold Coast - Coolangatta Hotel (18+)

May 06 - Brisbane - The Tivoli (18+)

May 07 - Sydney - Metro Theatre (Lic A/A)

May 08 - Melbourne - Billboard (18+)

May 10 - Adelaide - Fowlers (Lic A/A)

May 11 - Perth - Capitol (18+)

Tickets go on sale on Thursday, November 25 at 9:00 a.m.

A European tour will take place in March/April.

Olivieri, Bjork and Garcia last played together when they reunited this past June for an appearance at the Hellfest, which took place in Clisson, France. Nick and Brant joined John on stage to perform the songs "Gardenia" and "Green Machine" during a headlining appearance by Garcia`s GARCIA PLAYS KYUSS project. Video footage of that performance can be viewed below.

Commented Garcia: "You know, the whole reason I ever considered doing this with Brant and Nick was the feeling we all shared during Hellfest this year. To be able to play with such amazing musicians again is a dream come true for me. This will also be a huge chance for me to let everyone know about GARCIA VS GARCIA which should be coming out fall of next year."

Since KYUSS, Garcia`s musical projects include SLOBURN, UNIDA and John`s most recent band HERMANO, plus side projects with THE CRYSTAL METHOD, DANKO JONES and countless others who embraced the singer from the Southern California desert.

KYUSS, the inventors of Desert Rock, have been in the last ten years much more popular than when they were still around in the early Nineties. So, due to massive public demand over the years to play songs from his old cult band KYUSS, John finally made the decision to give the fans what they want.

The last couple of years John Garcia thought often about reviving his KYUSS legacy on stage. The more he thought about it, the more he really wanted to do this. John commented: "I don`t want to do this just for myself, but especially for the fans. Both for the ones that have seen KYUSS live back in the days, and especially for the ones who haven`t had that chance. This could be as close as they could get to the real thing. Please bear in mind that this could be a one-off unique opportunity!"

John Garcia (born in San Manuel, Arizona, September 4, 1970) is a vocalist who has been a member of KYUSS, SLO BURN, UNIDA and HERMANO. His vocals have become synonymous with modern stoner rock and the desert rock sound. While still in high school, Garcia help start KYUSS (originally known as SONS OF KYUSS) in 1989 with guitarist Josh Homme. The band produced five albums in total, all of which featured Garcia on vocals.

In October 1995, just three months after releasing what could be argued as their breakthrough album "...And The Circus Leaves Town" (thanks to MTV airplay), KYUSS broke up. Their last recording was a 10" vinyl on the now-defunct label Man`s Ruin Records, which was later re-released on a split CD with Homme`s QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE. The band has been on an indefinite hiatus ever since and has reached a legendary status, influencing thousands of new young rock bands.

Archived