MSG 1977

KEVIN

I re-found "Riot in a Thunderstorm" while trying to explain the 77 shows to my girlfriend.

The crowd was insane...... although the sound quality left allot to be desired.

Are there any other recordings from these shows worth getting?

Thanks

Kevin

I re-found "Riot in a Thunderstorm" while trying to explain the 77 shows to my girlfriend.

The crowd was insane...... although the sound quality left allot to be desired.

Are there any other recordings from these shows worth getting?

Thanks

Kevin

I think there are some ok audience recordings from the six shows, but most of the quality varies. There is also a partial SB from June 11th with most of No Quarter, Ten Years Gone and Battle of Evermore.

Here's a good place to look for reviews for quality, setlists etc.

http://uuweb.led-zeppelin.us/

:D "Riot In A Thunderstorm"...impeccable taste, sir! Great performance, but the atmosphere is what really does it for me. The air horns and bird chirp whistles crack me up every time.

Might sound like heresy, but I actually prefer the MSG '77 run to the LA Forum run (the Badgeholders show aside, June 23). Too bad the sound quality of the New York tapes isn't better...

So, on that note, if you're looking for more NY '77 shows, along with June 10th, go with the one on the 11th (excellent "No Quarter"!). That is probably my favourite 1977 show (not to mention my wife's; it was her 8th birthday, after all!) There's a couple of different versions of that one...one is a pretty decent sounding source up to about halfway through "Kashmir"; then it switches to one that's a notch or two lower in sound quality. Some boots of this show stick to the notch or two lower source for the whole thing. Either one is worthwhile, though. As previously mentioned there is also a partial soundboard of the show, from the start of JPJ's piano solo in "NQ" to the end of "Battle Of Evermore". Then go with the June 7th show...good performance, decent stereo sound even if the audience is a little bit talkative at times ("Look! On the roof! They've got a fuckin' laser on the roof!" during "NQ", which also features the fourth and final 1977 "Nutcracker Suite" in the solo). I believe the June 13 show -the complete version, not the cut Stanko source- was taped by the same guy as the 7th. It's pretty good; Plant tries singing "Over The Hills" in the higher octave and almost makes it. The recording for the June 14th show sounds similar to the 10th, except there's a lot of crowd noises (yelling at people to sit down, etc) but the only recording goes up the first couple of minutes of Bonzo's solo and that's it. I hate to say it, but avoid the June 8th show- either source. The "Second Night At The Garden" source is, IMO, the WORST sounding 1977 show, even worse than April 10, April 23 or May 25. Distant and fuzzy as hell. Which is too bad, because, aside from Bonham's excruciatingly boring drum solo, it's a good show...what you can make out of it, that is.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction...

:D "Riot In A Thunderstorm"...impeccable taste, sir! Great performance, but the atmosphere is what really does it for me. The air horns and bird chirp whistles crack me up every time.

Might sound like heresy, but I actually prefer the MSG '77 run to the LA Forum run (the Badgeholders show aside, June 23). Too bad the sound quality of the New York tapes isn't better...

So, on that note, if you're looking for more NY '77 shows, along with June 10th, go with the one on the 11th (excellent "No Quarter"!). That is probably my favourite 1977 show (not to mention my wife's; it was her 8th birthday, after all!) There's a couple of different versions of that one...one is a pretty decent sounding source up to about halfway through "Kashmir"; then it switches to one that's a notch or two lower in sound quality. Some boots of this show stick to the notch or two lower source for the whole thing. Either one is worthwhile, though. As previously mentioned there is also a partial soundboard of the show, from the start of JPJ's piano solo in "NQ" to the end of "Battle Of Evermore". Then go with the June 7th show...good performance, decent stereo sound even if the audience is a little bit talkative at times ("Look! On the roof! They've got a fuckin' laser on the roof!" during "NQ", which also features the fourth and final 1977 "Nutcracker Suite" in the solo). I believe the June 13 show -the complete version, not the cut Stanko source- was taped by the same guy as the 7th. It's pretty good; Plant tries singing "Over The Hills" in the higher octave and almost makes it. The recording for the June 14th show sounds similar to the 10th, except there's a lot of crowd noises (yelling at people to sit down, etc) but the only recording goes up the first couple of minutes of Bonzo's solo and that's it. I hate to say it, but avoid the June 8th show- either source. The "Second Night At The Garden" source is, IMO, the WORST sounding 1977 show, even worse than April 10, April 23 or May 25. Distant and fuzzy as hell. Which is too bad, because, aside from Bonham's excruciatingly boring drum solo, it's a good show...what you can make out of it, that is.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction...

I laughed my ass off during the first 10 minutes of “Riot”.

Listening to the crowed react is hysterical.

THERE AIN’T NO PARTY LIKE A NEW YORK PARTY

AND THE GARDEN WAS THE PLACE TO BE ……………

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

Archived