How important was "Beano" JM BB W\EC

danelectro

I know odd thread danelectro STFU. The reason I ask and hope to spark some discussion is because I truly feel this album was a pivot point. Maybe some revisiting will turn someone new on or remind an old rock fan of it's importance. Anyway like I said I feel it was very important, especially for guitar tones and how modern rock guitar developed.

Ideas, thoughts, help etc?

I think it was very important. I mean, listen to the last songs EC recorded with the Yardbirds a year prior to this and then to "Beano". Quite a difference. Same goes for music that was released at the same time as "Beano". It started the whole British blues movement with Fleetwood Mac, Savoy Brown and Ten Years After.

On the other hand, Jimi Hendrix came to light that same year, 1966, and the technique and equipment was developing fast those years. It probably would have gone in the same direction, but I think "Beano" made things happen a little faster.

I agree, I think the scene was heading in that direction anyway and the album, specifically EC's playing on the album did provide a spark. But the album has other interesting things going on. For example the drum solo in What'd I Say is very progressive for the times, definitely a precursor to later stuff like Moby Dick. I think EC had already hinted at what was to come. His playing and tone on the 1965 Yardbirds track Got To Hurry was pretty aggresive. But as I mentioned it EC's playing that really sets it apart, especially when you consider how long ago that was, Buddy Guy had only released his first albums under his own name in 65-66. Hendrix was a few months off but reportedly a condition of his coming to the UK was to meet EC. The album had measurable impact. Every Brit Blues band that came after owed something to Beano, everything Savoy Brown, TYA, Mac etc. did sounded like an extension of what Beano kicked off. IMO it was an important album, in my top ten for albums that had a big impact and changed music forever.

It's the sound of that record that was influential. Clapton insisted on playing with his amp full up (everything on 10 - tone settings as well as volume). At first the recording engineer thought he was just having a laugh, but was informed by Clapton that that was the way he played: esentially take-it-or-leave-it. The engineer claimed that it was not possible to record a guitar at that volume, but Mayall relented and told him to "Give God what he wants". Page was stunned by the sound that EC generated on Beano and how he achieved it, and it went on to influence his own playing.

RB

No doubt the sound had a lot to do with it. it enhanced what EC played and help him reach new heights. I've never heard guitar playing on any album that precedes Beano that sounds that aggressive and focused. He attacks the notes and the notes bloom. I think the great tone he was getting inspired his playing. He was a great player before that but if you did the "blindfold" test with all he did before Beano and compared it it's tough to believe it's the same guitarist.

Perhaps the most singular influence from that record was the resurgence of the Les Paul guitar. Once players heard its capabilities it became a sought after instrument to the point that Gibson reintroduced the line in 1968, and continue to produce them to this day.

RB

Archived