Interviews from the 70's

Otto Masson

Oh wow, were they ever uneasy with the press. Ask Jimmy about the music and he comes positively alive.
But a question that could open the door to something salacious or taboo he shuts down. His answers start
to go in circles. He is extremely private. I would love to see his body language in these interviews because
his voice alone very much tells how he wasn't a fan of the media veering off into areas that could open the
subject of drugs, Lori etc. the usual off limit subjects. It's been this way from the get go with Pagey.

What's quite interesting is that Jimmy did give a somewhat revealing interview when he was in the

Firm. This was in 85', and was reprinted in a few publications, so I don't know what the source was,

although CREEM was one of them. Jimmy does say he was into Crowley, but never practiced black

magic, wasn't a satanist. Also he adds that a lot of his beliefs are in line with the original Gnostics,

he was basically a Christian. When asked about Zep's wild extracurricular activities, Page said he never

forced anyone or put pressure on anybody to do anything, it was the person's own free will. One more

rather interesting fact is that Page said his family/parents were always fighting. This interview is long

and there's more and it's worth seeking out.

What's quite interesting is that Jimmy did give a somewhat revealing interview when he was in the

Firm. This was in 85', and was reprinted in a few publications, so I don't know what the source was,

although CREEM was one of them. Jimmy does say he was into Crowley, but never practiced black

magic, wasn't a satanist. Also he adds that a lot of his beliefs are in line with the original Gnostics,

he was basically a Christian. When asked about Zep's wild extracurricular activities, Page said he never

forced anyone or put pressure on anybody to do anything, it was the person's own free will. One more

rather interesting fact is that Page said his family/parents were always fighting. This interview is long

and there's more and it's worth seeking out.

Interesting indeed since Page rarely talks about his religious beliefs or family.  I'm not surprised that his parents didn't get along since they eventually divorced.  I can picture the teenage Page holed up in his bedroom listening to his blues and rockabilly records while his parents are arguing.  I'm reminded of a 1990's BBC documentary about Led Zeppelin that is available on Youtube.  They interviewed several people who knew Page including Jeff Beck and Chris Dreja.  Dreja mentioned that while Page was close to his mother while he was in The Yardbirds, he didn't get along with his father.  

Well it's revealing and sad that Jimmy did actually just get into music and avoid the family drama as 

much as possible. What is cool is that both parents eventually gave him the living room for his jams

and various musical pursuits. They did actually encourage him in music, his father in particular thought

painting and other arts were a loser's game. They had a strong sense that Jimmy really knew what

what he was doing. Actually much of THIS info comes from the "PEZ" Zep book by Ritchie York(e).

Archived