Interviews from the 70's

Otto Masson

As these things get buried so deep I thought I would shamelessly direct attention to these threads again. It was a project of scanning original interviews from the 1970's, never finished it, but I did do a few of them, and might add to it later when my scanner is working again. Perhaps some people will find these fun to read.

ROLLING STONE 1975 By Cameron Crowe

ROBERT PLANT in PEOPLE WEEKLY 1976

JIMMY PAGE in CIRCUS, 1976

LISA ROBINSON in CREEM, 1973

PETER GRANT in SHE, 1970

JIMMY PAGE in GUITAR PLAYER, 1977

JIMMY PAGE in TROUSER PRESS, 1977. A 3-part interview

ROCK MAGIC by WILLIAM BURROUGHS, Crawdaddy 1975

And finally, this one I posted as a sort of appendix.

LISA ROBINSON looks back, VANITY FAIR 2003

Perhaps some people will find these fun to read.

Thanks lot for your dedication for these legendary articles... Reading these interviews confirms one thing, Page is extra ordinary, visionary and innovative artist of our time...his passion to reach deep inside musicians around the world is incomparable to any artist of his time or of current times...for sure, they don't make them like they use to...

Some facts have also come clear to me from Page interviews, (I wasn't so sure that Page has already visited India during Yardbirds, prior to '71 and '72...(it was "somewhat" mentioned in the Hammer of God).

Some facts have also come clear to me from Page interviews, (I wasn't so sure that Page has already visited India during Yardbirds, prior to '71 and '72...(it was "somewhat" mentioned in the Hammer of God).

Jimmy once expressed great pride in claiming he owned a sitar before George Harrison.

Jimmy once expressed great pride in claiming he owned a sitar before George Harrison.

...Steve,

thanks a lot for another historic fact (I have now further read that Big Jim Sullivan, his fellow session guitarist, would be the one to teach Jimmy how to play sitar along with George Harrison initially.

I am sure that you are aware of this following bit, but I do admire Jimmy's wisdom/approach to music....

from interview with Steven Rosen.........

When you started playing the double-neck did it require a new approach on your part?

JP: Yes. The main thing is, there’s an effect you can get where you leave the 12-string neck open as far as the sound goes and play on the 6-string neck, and you get the 12-strings vibrating in sympathy. It’s like an Indian sitar, and I’ve worked on that a little bit. I use it on “Stairway” like that; not on the album but on the soundtrack and film. It’s surprising, it doesn’t vibrate as heavily as a sitar would, but nonetheless does add to the overall tonal quality.

Thanks Otto for these great articles. Loved em. Good work. I thought some of these put the band into a better perspective and helped understand them more, considering they didn't do a lo of press back in the day.

• 5 months later...

So Jimmy was on the scent of the 'Norwegian Wood' prior to George. Another revelation that Jimmy Page was ahead of curve of the day.

Can I just tell you how HAPPY I am to have had this post resurrected, and to be able to read these great interviews?!? THANK YOU!!!!!---I wasn't on the boards the first time around for these so i thank you for putting this to the forefront again, or I would have missed all this! :)

I have certainly enjoyed reading ALL of them. :)

Sharon

• 4 years later...

Hi Sam, I searched all over for a place to put this. If there is another place/thread that this should be please move it. I know there is a bootleg called Led Zeppelin The Lost Interviews and this is on part 1.... so for anyone who has not heard this enjoy:-)

Jimmy Page radio interview, 1976 with Alan Freeman

^^thanks to GriefTourist

Hi Sam, I searched all over for a place to put this. If there is another place/thread that this should be please move it. I know there is a bootleg called Led Zeppelin The Lost Interviews and this is on part 1.... so for anyone who has not heard this enjoy:-)

http://youtu.be/ORA56fbmB2M

^^thanks to GriefTourist

Wow! Thank you, Ms. Deb for posting this gem!

Awesome interview ... Mr Freeman asked some great questions, and more importantly gave Jimmy the time to answer!

And that voice of Jimmy's...whew! :wub:

Wow! Thank you, Ms. Deb for posting this gem!

Awesome interview ... Mr Freeman asked some great questions, and more importantly gave Jimmy the time to answer!

And that voice of Jimmy's...whew! :wub:

Agree!! Thank you Deborah J for posting this! Very interesting, and I love listening to Jimmy's voice!! ❤

thanks to GriefTourist

One of the best interviews I've heard. Interviewer is well-informed and asks interesting questions.

Jimmy is lucid, engaged, and most important, sounds as if he trusts the interviewer. Maybe I haven't heard/read enough interviews but none seem to capture his passion for music as well as this one. So often he seems guarded, evasive, and other things.

I like his mention of Elvis laughing at the end of Mystery Train - gives some insight into their habit of leaving things in the mix.

I'm not knowledgeable about the interviewer (beyond Wikipedia) but perhaps they had a good relationship outside of the interview. Really great - thank you!

I'm not knowledgeable about the interviewer (beyond Wikipedia) but perhaps they had a good relationship outside of the interview. Really great - thank you!

Unmentioned on his Wikipedia entry is that Alan Freeman had the honor of introducing the band onstage at Earls Court on May 25, 1975.

On Alan Freeman's Saturday afternoon BBC1 radio programme in the 70's, you were guaranteed that he would play Zeppelin - he was obviously a huge fan. The rest of his show was great too!!!

Unmentioned on his Wikipedia entry is that Alan Freeman had the honor of introducing the band onstage at Earls Court on May 25, 1975.

Some of the interesting things in that jimmy page interview 76, to me, were him discussing the heavy metal moniker, for some reason I imagine that term being more of an 80s thing. Also when he addressed the bad reviews, where he simply states, they didn't relate to it...and left it at that. In the 80s interviews, I seem to remember page and plant mentioning the bad reviews a bit more.

• 1 year later...

Another interview...thanks to Grief Tourist:-) 

Jimmy Page interview 1976 [audio]

Jimmy talks about the 1976 Zeppelin movie the Song Remains the Same and various other subjects. I hope this has not already been posted I tried to search:-) Enjoy! 

Thanks for posting this. I actually found plugging some little head phones into my old lap top provided the best sound.
Jimmy is often so soft spoken :wub:,  but the audio I think is lending a hand in that too. Anyhow thank you. Always cool

to hear their opinions way back when. 

Real cool to post those interviews. Unfortunately because of copyrights and other matters, there are

many more print/radio interviews out there. Also as a whole Zep simply didn't give many interviews.

For example for 1979(the Knebworth shows) Robert did one radio interview, Page one Print. Both were

pretty long, but it just shows the band's uneasy relationship with the press. Actually

Robert did give a 79' short-medium interview with PEOPLE.

Archived