Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts

Otto Masson

Cool Otto !

That was the 3rd Creem magazine I had....I'd gotten the Tull and Johnny Winter issues just a couple of months before in '73. Loved the old rag !!

That Jimmy shot is, by far, one of the best covers of ANY rock magazine anywhere, anytime...

* Oh yeah...there are a couple of quotes by Robert...that...Richard Cole seemed to hit on in his book...:whistling:

:lol:

Thanks Otto! I've wondered about that article for a long time. I have vague memories of reading it back in the day but haven't seen it since. I appreciate your taking the time to include the scans of the actual pages. Brings back many good memories.

The second time I've laughed out loud this morning because of something I've read here. My favorite "Grantism" is in that article. :lol: Robert’s comment about the front row. Heh. There were nights when, between the four of them, they came pretty close.

Thanks again. :beer:

Creem09_73_OMSC01.jpg

Thanks for posting all of that Otto Mason ! I remember that Lisa Robinson article in Creem very well. In fact, I think of that article's title often, Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts . . . :)

When I met Jimmy in 1983 at the Mandalay Four Seasons Hotel, for their warm-ups to the British Are Coming dates in the US, I brought that cover page, and asked Jimmy to sign it. He graciously did so! I remarked, that I thought he was playing "Heartbreaker" in that cover shot. He, then actually air-guitared a few riffs of HB in response to what I had just said. WOW ! ALL of the Magic AND the Power WAS THERE ! EVEN IN JUST AIR-GUITARING ! ! :D:D

BTY, Lisa Robinson was also at the Hotel, but that was after the second show at Dallas's Reunion Arena. She was hanging out at a large table with a gathering of stars that included some of the Rolling Stones.

But, when Jimmy made his appearance, he did not -- go the Stars table, but instead came over to where the fans were lounging nearby greeted them. Pure Class. B)

Thanks for posting all of that Otto Mason ! I remember that Lisa Robinson article in Creem very well. In fact, I think of that article's title often, Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts . . . :)

When I met Jimmy in 1983 at the Mandalay Four Seasons Hotel, for their warm-ups to the British Are Coming dates in the US, I brought that cover page, and asked Jimmy to sign it. He graciously did so! I remarked, that I thought he was playing "Heartbreaker" in that cover shot. He, then actually air-guitared a few riffs of HB in response to what I had just said. WOW ! ALL of the Magic AND the Power WAS THERE ! EVEN IN JUST AIR-GUITARING ! ! :D:D

BTY, Lisa Robinson was also at the Hotel, but that was after the second show at Dallas's Reunion Arena. She was hanging out at a large table with a gathering of stars that included some of the Rolling Stones.

But, when Jimmy made his appearance, he did not -- go the Stars table, but instead came over to where the fans were lounging nearby greeted them. Pure Class. B)

Rover, that's a great story about Jimmy. Thanks for sharing it. You've had some amazing Zep experiences.

In fact, I think of that article's title often, Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts . . . :)

It's hard to have grown up in that era and not think of that title often. :)

I'd sure think a red bikini would be even more restrictive than a pair of tighty whities !!

i

Relaxin' ? :huh:

Boxers or nuthin' would seem to be the ticket !

It takes a real man to wear a red bikini...

speedo.jpg

MY SPEEDO

by David Duchovny

So much depends upon a red Speedo

Covered with rain.

:D

Thanks for the great scans, Otto! :beer:

Rover, that's a great story about Jimmy. Thanks for sharing it. You've had some amazing Zep experiences.

It's hard to have grown up in that era and not think of that title often.

Ain't it the truth... B)

Back in the early to mid 70s it was normal to have interesting drug comics and other assorted 'endorsing' comments made towards various substances...Most of the rock generation were well acquainted with them...and quite fond as well...

But now there are 'soccer moms' reading 'rock' publications and that stuff is all taboo. Matter of fact, many of those 'soccer moms' don't believe the life style was so pervasive back then.....

Times have changed. :(

Another brilliant find Otto, thanks! :thumbsup:

I remember reading this interview on an old Geocities site containing other Zeppelin articles from Creem and Hit Parader, and your post inspired me to track the site down. Many of the links are now dead but there are still some that work. Might be worth taking a look:

http://www.geocities.com/brandyzep/zines.htm

Back in the early to mid 70s it was normal to have interesting drug comics and other assorted 'endorsing' comments made towards various substances...Most of the rock generation were well acquainted with them...and quite fond as well...

But now there are 'soccer moms' reading 'rock' publications and that stuff is all taboo. Matter of fact, many of those 'soccer moms' don't believe the life style was so pervasive back then.....

Times have changed. :(

Remember the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?

Remember the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?

You betcha !

But I was also meaning that to find drug 'endorsing' material in the 'mainstream' music rags too...

I remember many underground comix too...

the 'x' standing for X-rated....drugs, sex, violence etc.....and then there was Zippy the Pinhead. :D

106ihx4.jpg

You betcha !

But I was also meaning that to find drug 'endorsing' material in the 'mainstream' music rags too...

I remember many underground comix too...

the 'x' standing for X-rated....drugs, sex, violence etc.....and then there was Zippy the Pinhead. :D

cvr_ZippyStories01-1.jpg

^? :unsure:

Archived