Track Record Label

lzfan715

I recently got Tommy (the Who) on vinyl. I brought it home, opened it up and put it on the turntable. Much to my surprise this is probably the worst piece of vinyl I've seen. It was unopened when I bought it, brand new. The hole in the center had a lot of thin pieces of vinyl attached to it that I had to clear out before I could even put it on the turntable. After I put it on the turntable I discovered some skips in the very first track. Low and behold there was a scuff, but nothing unplayable, just annonying. I also heard this weird thumping noise, every time the table went around it went thump thump. Turns out there was extra vinyl sticking out of the album and we had to take a pocket knife and cut the extra off. Has anyone heard of this company?

Can't say I've heard of the company but I am aware of some newer vinyl pressings that are downright shitty. It seems some are out there to capitalize on the renewed popularity of vinyl by treating it as a novelty item and others actually take the time and effort to produce a very worthwhile product. I've heard of pressings of Ryan Adams albums on Lost Highway Records that were supposedly high grade 180 gram vinyl (and maybe they were) but the craftsmanship was severely lacking, as in the center hole being completely off-center. I've also read of flimsy packaging and no care being taken with vinyl records shipped through the mail. Perhaps you'd be better off trying to locate an original copy of Tommy that's at least in halfway decent shape?

I got Quadraphenia about 2 weeks ago, I forget who pressed it but I know the label was more erputable. I want to say Sony or Columbia. It's 180 gram and very nice. It's a shame that some companies aren't taking care of the vinyl.

I think it's a shame as well, that's why I'm afraid to buy some of it, particularly the latest round of Ryan Adams vinyl reissues on Lost Highway. I have most of them but am still missing a few such as Heartbreaker, Gold, Demolition and Love Is Hell (which I'm not sure has been released on vinyl anyway).

Track was the ORIGINAL record label The Who were on in England.

Track Records was an "Independent" record label founded in 1967 by Kit Lambert, Chris Stamp (managers of The Who) and Pete Townshend. Artists whose works appeared on the Track label included Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Arthur Brown, John's Children, Marsha Hunt, The Parliaments, Thunderclap Newman, Fairport Convention (pre-fame), Golden Earring, The Heartbreakers and Shakin' Stevens (pre-fame).

However, for a period of 3 or 4 years in the late 1960s, Track was one of the hippest and least compromising record companies in the UK, though it lacked a roster of real hitmakers and were almost totally reliant on their major stars Jimi Hendrix and The Who. Hendrix' death in September 1970 must have been a great blow to this small company and In 1970 under the title 'Backtrack' they re-released both Hendrix and the Who's first two Track LP's (@ £1.00!) and several budget compilations (@ £0.99!) of mainly Who and Hendrix material (that included most of their singles) at almost giveaway prices, an unusual move. After the posthumous release of the 'The Cry of Love' LP and a couple of re-lease E.P's (the "Voodoo Chile" 3 track stereo EP being Hendrix' only No. 1 UK hit (@ only 2/6 = 15p!) in 1971 Polydor took over Hendrix' catalogue (in the USA it remained with Reprise Records), and in 1973 The Who produced Quadrophenia their last original album with Track . Later in 1974 Track released 'Odds and Sods' a compilation of old out-takes etc., which was their last chart album of Who material released by the label. The Who then jumped ship to Polydor (in the USA they remained with MCA Records). This left Track with just Golden Earring on their roster and another series of old material 'Allsorts' featuring The Who and Jimi Hendrix, amongst others was released. In 1975 Golden Earring left and after that Track only released two more LPs, one by The Heartbreakers and one by Shakin' Stevens' (pre-fame). Track ceased trading in 1978. Kit Lambert died just three years later aged only 45.

The logo and name 'Track Records' were resurrected (twenty years later) in 1999 by Ian Grant former manager of The Stranglers, The Cult and Big Country and used for his record company.

The above are excerpt from the Wikipedia entry for Track Records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_Records

I doubt your LP is from the resurrected label. Sounds like you have an original.

Here's Track's website....Tommy is NOT listed as a reissue.

http://www.trackrecords.co.uk/catalogue/tr...ndex_albums.php

Jahfin, this is the first problem I"ve had since I started buying vinyl.

Gadgetguru, it's not an original. I know because it came with advertisements for more recent bands and newer stereo equipment.

Jahfin, this is the first problem I"ve had since I started buying vinyl.

Gadgetguru, it's not an original. I know because it came with advertisements for more recent bands and newer stereo equipment.

Really ? Oh well, it's just that I checked the 'new' Track records site and Tommy wasn't listed so I thought you'd had a real find there, even if it was a lousy manufacture.

Too bad it's a shit pressing. Sorry about that.

Track was the ORIGINAL record label The Who were on in England.

Track Records was an "Independent" record label founded in 1967 by Kit Lambert, Chris Stamp (managers of The Who) and Pete Townshend. Artists whose works appeared on the Track label

track was NOT the original record label the who were on in england. as you can see from your own post, track didn't exist until 1967. the who, as recording artists, did.

here is the who from 1964 on brunswick.

ICE-UK2.jpg

their label in the US was decca, which became MCA. track was not only owned by lambert, stamp, and townshend, but the rest of the who. (lambert and stamp had a long history of financial adventures with the who's money, and rarely spent their own-INCLUDING track records) the who desperately wanted to be on their own label, but jimi hendrix received that honor in england.

just trying to be helpful....

track was NOT the original record label the who were on in england. as you can see from your own post, track didn't exist until 1967. the who, as recording artists, did.

here is the who from 1964 on brunswick.

ICE-UK2.jpg

their label in the US was decca, which became MCA. track was not only owned by lambert, stamp, and townshend, but the rest of the who. (lambert and stamp had a long history of financial adventures with the who's money, and rarely spent their own-INCLUDING track records) the who desperately wanted to be on their own label, but jimi hendrix received that honor in england.

just trying to be helpful....

Hey thanks, I really worded that incorrectly, knowing the who had been around before Track. I have The Who's earliest music on Brunswick. I should've said, Track was originally a label in England that included the Who, Hendrix amongst others as some of their earliest bands.

Touche for you. :D

Hey thanks, I really worded that incorrectly, knowing the who had been around before Track. I have The Who's earliest music on Brunswick. I should've said, Track was originally a label in England that included the Who, Hendrix amongst others as some of their earliest bands.

Touche for you. :D

sorry, gadge....but that is a really interesting and convoluted subject, and i couldn't help myself!

sorry, gadge....but that is a really interesting and convoluted subject, and i couldn't help myself!

No probs...I'm glad you clarified. Can't have music fans misinformed!

I think maybe there was aimilar story with The Small Faces, they were with Deram or Decca and by about their third LP the label "Immediate" was started, them being an inaugural group, but not sure if they had an ownership stake or not.

Archived