Music about Vikings

Is there any music out there that is about Vikings/Norse mythology, but isn't black metal?

I've tried, but I just can't get into black metal...I'm just not that hardcore. I guess I'm kinda looking for something on the folky side...rather like Led Zeppelin, for instance! Does such a thing exist?

Cool! I totally dig the Ensiferum song, thanks! Actually, on revisiting the Viking metal genre, I find that it's not as...overwhelming as it was the first time I tried it out (which was a few years ago). I guess I've heard enough screamo since then that I've become desensitized. I hate the high-pitched screeching in those bands, so the low growl of black metal comes as sort of a welcome alternative. I kinda like what I've heard from Amon Amarth. I also found a band that does clean vocals and has more of a folky feel called Týr that I really like...does anybody know of more bands like that? And...what the hell, anybody got any Viking metal recommendations in general? Something on the more melodic side?

You said that you kind of like Amon Amarth and trust me I too was like you in searching for Norse/Viking themed music after listening to Immigrant Song so much and very much liking the song. I tried some bands but I found their music not good until I came across Amon Amarth. Yes they are a Death metal band but you can understand what they are saying and the music is melodic. There's rhythm to their sound. I hate most metal where you can't understand what they're saying and where the growls are overdone. If you just started to get into them I would recommend to start with their albums With Oden On Our Side and Fate of Norns. Even though the music is death metal the theme to it specifically deals with epic Viking battles and Norse mythology. If a Viking could sing this is how they would do it. I guess you can tell I like this band but yeah check out more of their music and sorry I don't know any folk music with a Viking theme to it.

Cool! I totally dig the Ensiferum song, thanks! Actually, on revisiting the Viking metal genre, I find that it's not as...overwhelming as it was the first time I tried it out (which was a few years ago). I guess I've heard enough screamo since then that I've become desensitized. I hate the high-pitched screeching in those bands, so the low growl of black metal comes as sort of a welcome alternative. I kinda like what I've heard from Amon Amarth. I also found a band that does clean vocals and has more of a folky feel called Týr that I really like...does anybody know of more bands like that? And...what the hell, anybody got any Viking metal recommendations in general? Something on the more melodic side?

Tyr is a good band too. If you're looking for more melodic Folk Metal with clean vocals, try Eluveitie. I haven't listened to much of them, but I believe the singer is a female.

• 4 weeks later...
Is there any music out there that is about Vikings/Norse mythology, but isn't black metal?

I've tried, but I just can't get into black metal...I'm just not that hardcore. I guess I'm kinda looking for something on the folky side...rather like Led Zeppelin, for instance! Does such a thing exist?

My mate's band are currently recording a song called 'Valhalla'. I've seen them play it live a couple of times now and its sounding very good. They're aiming for a spring release for their album so il post a link on this thread in a few months when its finished!

• 1 year later...

My mate's band are currently recording a song called 'Valhalla'. I've seen them play it live a couple of times now and its sounding very good. They're aiming for a spring release for their album so il post a link on this thread in a few months when its finished!

Hi, only 18 months late but they've finally recorded and released their song. Here is a link to their myspace page - click down to Valhalla. You can certainly hear Led Zeppelin's influence in the song so hopefully it's what you were looking for.

http://www.myspace.com/rfuk

Archived