led zeppelin IV

drummermatt

i have a music A level piece in for tomorrow.

nothing too serious but i need to analyse Led Zep's fourth album.

need some help on

- how is was recorded (use of technology)

- Use of melody (with a few examples)

- use of harmony (with a few examples)

- use of instrumentation (same as above)

- influences

- what it has influenced

any help would be great :D

im not so sure as to where i should look for this stuff either so if someone could point me to some sites that would be great too... or you could send me the answers (it's technically not cheating so it's fine ;) )

http://discography.ledzeppelin.com/disc_lz4.html

The album was initially recorded at Island Records's newly opened Basing Street Studios, London, at the same time as Jethro Tull's Aqualung in December 1970. Upon the suggestion of Fleetwood Mac,, the band then moved to Headley Grange, a remote Victorian house in East Hampshire, England, to conduct additional recordings. Here they used the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. Page later recalled:

We needed the sort of facilities where we could have a cup of tea and wander around the garden and go in and do what we had to do.

This relaxed, atmospheric environment at Headley Grange also provided other advantages for the band. As is explained by Dave Lewis:

By moving into Headley Grange for the whole period of recording, many of the tracks [on the album] were made up on the spot and committed to tape almost there and then.

Once the basic tracks had been recorded, the band later added overdubs at Island Studios, and then took the completed master tapes to Sunset Sound in Los Angeles, CA for mixing. However, the mix ultimately proved to be less than satisfactory, creating an unwanted delay in the album's release. Further mixing had to be undertaken in London, pushing the final release date back by some months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_IV

• 4 weeks later...

From Shakespeare's 'Merchant Of Venice' Act II scene 7: The Prince chooses the gold casket with the inscription, "Who chooseth me shall gain what many men desire." As he opens the casket, he finds a skeleton's head with a message in its eye socket. It reads,

"All that glistens is not gold".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All That Is Gold Does Not Glitter is a poem written by J.R.R. Tolkien for his fantasy novel The Lord of the Rings. It alludes to an integral part of the plot. The poem reads:

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.

'Stairway to Heaven'

Theres a lady whos sure

All that glitters is gold

And shes buying a stairway to heaven

The Mystery of the Quotient:

The bard Plant

infuenced by

the bard Tolkien

influence by

the bard Shakespeare

Bard

1. One of an ancient Celtic order of minstrel poets who composed and recited verses celebrating the legendary exploits of chieftains and heroes.2. A poet, especially a lyric poet.

Steve A. Jones

Archived