Graveyard

hippiebuss

Sounds really good!

I must admit I hadn't heard of Graveyard until I checked your link. Sweden got one hell of a great rock'n'roll scene, Dead Man, Maharajas, Whitchcraft, Graveyard and Dollhouse to name just a few.

• 1 year later...

Graveyard is headed to the USA for a five week tour!

I will be at the Bootleg show. If you are near any of these places you should check them out. Price for tickets shouldn't be a problem as I only paid ten dollars for one.

First post has their myspace page if you want to give them a listen.

7/15 - The East End - Portland, OR w/ Danava

7/16 - Cafe Du Nord - San Francisco, CA w/ Lumerians

7/17 - Historic Brookdale Lodge - Brookdale, CA

7/18 - Bootleg Theater - Los Angeles, CA w/ Night Horse

7/19 - Bar Pink - Los Angeles, CA w/ Night Horse

7/21 - The Clubhouse - Tempe, AZ w/ CKY

7/22 - Gators Bar and Grill - Farmington, NM w/ CKY

7/24 - Granada Theater - Dallas, TX w/ CKY

7/25 - White Rabbit - San Antonio, TX w/ CKY

7/26 - The Meridian - Houston, TX w/ CKY

7/28 - The Culture Room - Fort Lauderdale, FL w/ CKY

7/29 - The Social - Orlando, FL w/ CKY

7/30 - Jannus Landing - Saint Petersburg, Florida w/ CKY

7/31 - The Loft At Centerstage - Atlanta, GA w/ CKY

8/01 - Pop's - Sauget, IL w/ CKY

8/02 - The Rave - Milwaukee, WI w/ CKY

8/03 - Station 4 - St. Paul, MN w/ CKY

8/05 - House Of Blues - Chicago, IL w/ CKY

8/06 - Peabody's - Cleveland, OH w/ CKY

8/07 - St. Andrew's Hall - Detroit, MI w/ CKY

8/08 - Mr. Small's Theatre - Pittsburgh, PA w/ CKY

8/09 - Xtreme Wheels - Buffalo, NY w/ CKY

8/10 - Recher Theatre - Towson, MD w/ CKY

8/11 - The Norva - Norfolk, VA w/ CKY

8/12 - Nara Sushi - Richmond, Virginia w/ CKY

8/13 - Blender Theatre At The Gramercy - New York, NY w/CKY

8/14 - Paradise Rock Club - Boston, MA w/ CKY

8/15 - Theatre Of Living Arts - Philadelphia, PA w/ CKY

• 1 month later...

Well I saw Graveyard at the Bootleg Theater in LA on July 18 and they were great, such a powerful performance by them. I got a sweet spot at the center front between Rikard and Joakim, the band members. Good music to headbang to. I highly recommend going out, getting close to the stage and see/hear some genuine rock at it's finest.

A picture I took.

GraveyardattheBootlegTheater041-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice interview of Graveyard.

An Interview with Axel Sjoberg of Graveyard

Conducted by: dinger007 on 8/16/2008 12:34:54 PM

When Graveyard rolled through my hometown with fellow retro rockers Witch, I was glad I was one of the chosen few who got a chance to see this group of Swedes throw the gauntlet down and deliver some mind blowing 70`s inspired rock. I caught up with their drummer, Axel, via email, to chat about their recent trip to South By Southwest, Swedish rock and roll, and the current state of homophobia in Germany.

- Andy "Dinger" Beresky

Andy: First off, congratulations on your debut album with Tee Pee, it`s definitely a keeper. I think the first thing I`d like to throw on the table is Norrsken. It`s really exciting to see three different bands, Witch, Dead Man, and now Graveyard, emerge from that one band. Could you tell us a little bit about Norrsken, and who from Graveyard played with them?

Axel: Thanks! From Graveyard, it is Rikard (bass) and Joakim (vocals, guitar) who were in Norrsken. They were definitely the best band in Örebro at the time when they were around. I`m a couple years younger than them and I remember watching them live all the time, being totally crushed by how good they were live. An explosion. Kristoffer (Dead Man guitar, vocals) was/is an amazing drummer too. I remember wanting to be as good as him. Also remember hassling Magnus about buying demos after school... I know many labels have been interested in re-releasing all the stuff they recorded, but I don`t think anyone knows where the masters are... It`s also kinda cool to keep a bit of mystique about it. I don`t know, it`s up to those guys if that would ever happen I guess.

Andy: I understand you guys don`t just consider yourselves just a retro, throwback type of band. One of the benefits of making music with an obvious 70`s vibe is that you`ve got 30 years of music since then to also draw from. What do you consider some of your more modern influences?

Axel: I don`t know if I would say they influence us, but I really like The Black Keys. Earthless are fucking amazing live too. Those who didn`t get to see their Roadburn show will die as bitter, sorry bastards, ha ha ha. There`s a Swedish jazz pianist that I think have influenced many bands too. Jan Johansson, he`s been dead and buried for a couple of decades though. I think that we`re influenced by many different things, not only music. But as for me, I like (besides for the obvious rock preferences) early Metallica for instance and Bonnie Prince Billy, different shit. I think we all like watching other good musicians play, that can really want to make you go back and rehearse. Sometimes it makes you want to quit when they are too good haha. We saw At The Gates recently and that was awesome! [They] killed it. One band that people should check out is Horisont from Gothenburg. They are on our top friends list on MySpace. I`ve heard rumors about a debut album this fall...

Andy: Who does most of the writing in Graveyard, both musically and lyrically, or is it collaborative?

Axel: It`s very collaborative, we all contribute. But it can vary a lot, sometimes someone comes to practice with an an almost ready song and sometimes it`s all jamming from start to finish.

Andy: You did a few shows in the US recently, including South by Southwest. I saw you at the Northampton, Massachusetts show; it was a pretty stellar performance. How did the other shows go, and how was your SXSW experience?

Axel: We had a blast!! Sort of mayhem. It was fun that the dude from Rolling Stone showed up to check us out, David Fricke. None of us knew what he looked like or even knew that much about him. But it feels kind of cool that Rolling Stone writes about your first US show ever. Annihilation Time were great to see live too!

Andy: How did you all end up hooking up with Witch, and how was it playing and touring with them? Any cool stories from the road?

Axel: On the same label in the US... Dave, who plays bass in Witch, really liked our album, and Kyle`s dad too. Since it was easier for us to get around in Europe than a US band, we hooked up. We met in the States before that and had a blast with them too. The tour was cool, a lot of good gigs. But it was a logistic nightmare. Our piece of shit van died at Roadburn. We had to take it to the junkyard, got a lift to Belgium and then back to Holland. Bought a Volvo, that died on the autobahn in Germany in the middle of the night, attracting German cops and shit. It worked out though, not a serious fault. All in all, we had to cancel a four shows, rent a new van in Sweden and then get back out there... We were attacked by German kickers in Berlin, that thought all men with long hair are gay, and they were ignorant bastards who had a problem with gay people. So we got yogurt attacked at a falafel-diner and had to flee their Russian-steroid friend. Can`t be easy be gay in Germany...

Andy: When I saw you guys play, you did at least one song that wasn`t on the album, and it ruled. Do you have any plans to do more recording soon?

Axel: We`re finishing up a couple of songs at the moment, one of `em is the one we played when you saw us. We`re gonna do a split with Witch soon. Right now it looks like there will be two new unreleased studio tracks and two live tracks.

Andy: What are your plans as far as touring is concerned?

Axel: As much as we can. Right now it looks like we`re coming over to the us this fall to tour for at least a month. With whom and when is still being negotiated.

Andy: Tee Pee really has a great roster of bands going for them, how does it feel to be one of the family?

Axel: Don`t know if we`re a family, but there`s a lot of good bands on there for sure! And we`re feel very comfortable being on Tee Pee Records, no doubt about that.

Andy: Out on the road, what other bands have you played with and seen that blew your mind?

Axel: Well as I mentioned before: Horisont from Gothenburg, our friends Dead Man and Witchcraft. Another band from Gothenburg that people should check out is Uran – ice cold space punk, monotone, double-bass, demented heroes. There`s quite a few good bands here in Sweden now when I think about it... Den Stora Vilan (if you`re into The Dead), the movements (space-garage elevators), among other really good bands.

Andy: What other bands are coming out of Sweden these days that we should all keep our eyes open for?

Axel: See above...

• 1 year later...

Some news on their new album.

"Graveyards debut album was recorded and produced by Don Ahlsterberg (Soundtrack of our Lives, The International Noise Conspiracy, José Gonzalez), whose analog production gave the record its vintage sound. The band are at the moment finishing up recording of their 2nd album which will be released spring next year. Like the first album it’s being recorded and produced by Don Ahlsterberg."

http://www.theagencygroup.com/artist.aspx?ArtistID=5028

Long wait but I'm very much looking forward to its release. First album is one of my favorite albums.

Here's a new song well sort of new as they've been playing it for a while but doesn't appear on their s/t.

^^ Cool, nice to see John play again.

Have you heard Bombus? I've heard they have some sort of connection to Graveyard, but I am not sure about it..

I've heard of them but never really listened to them 'till I checked your link. Didn't really like their sound though. I don't think theres a connection to Graveyard besides playing gigs together.

This band kicks a mighty ass :):):;)

I'm glad you like them.

I've heard of them but never really listened to them 'till I checked your link. Didn't really like their sound though. I don't think theres a connection to Graveyard besides playing gigs together.

I'm not to found of the vocals myself, but I like their music. I saw them live a couple of weeks ago, had never heard them, but they put out a great live show. The drummer were frickin' awesome. I could've sworn he was playing with a double bass pedal, but he didn't.. He had a mighty fast right foot. :D They sounds kinda Motörhead-ish.

Listening to them right now! They are just bloody brilliant!!!! B) Thank you so much for the link hippiebuss!!! Such a shame that I had never heard of them till now! I so wanna just go out there and buy their debut album right now!!! :wub: Love it, love it, love it!!! :D Also, what I really love about them is their really cool 70s, psychedelic rock vibe! Now this is music!!! :D

Thanks for the link Rock N' Rollin' Man! I've ordered it and I'll be getting it in 3 weeks time! So excited! :D

Well worth the wait. The way I found out about Graveyard was through Dead Man or well Swede. Swede posted a thread about Dead Man liked what I heard got into them. I read reviews of their two albums with constant mentions of Graveyard and Witchcraft. The singer/guitarist of Graveyard was the singer in Norrsken and the bassist was also bassist for the band. Magnus Pelander the singer/guitarist of Witchcraft was guitarist in Norrsken oh and Kristoffer the singer/guitarist of Dead Man was drummer in Norrsken. You might like these three other bands. Norrsken only released a 7" and a demo and had two cover songs that appeared on two tribute albums one for a band called Trouble and the other band was Blue Cheer. I have the songs downloaded them don't think they're available through Itunes though.

Here's Norrsken a song from the demo.

Dead Man "Today"

Also Witchcraft and Graveyard are both influenced by Pentagram. Many mentions of them.

:)

Well worth the wait. The way I found out about Graveyard was through Dead Man or well Swede. Swede posted a thread about Dead Man liked what I heard got into them. I read reviews of their two albums with constant mentions of Graveyard and Witchcraft. The singer/guitarist of Graveyard was the singer in Norrsken and the bassist was also bassist for the band. Magnus Pelander the singer/guitarist of Witchcraft was guitarist in Norrsken oh and Kristoffer the singer/guitarist of Dead Man was drummer in Norrsken. You might like these three other bands. Norrsken only released a 7" and a demo and had two cover songs that appeared on two tribute albums one for a band called Trouble and the other band was Blue Cheer. I have the songs downloaded them don't think they're available through Itunes though.

Here's Norrsken a song from the demo.

Dead Man "Today"

Also Witchcraft and Graveyard are both influenced by Pentagram. Many mentions of them.

:)

Wow! Thanks to you and Swede, I've discovered 3 more awesome bands! Gosh! Thanks for the links! Loving what I'm hearing! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived