I have a question about buying a record..

Okay I was on Amazon looking for Led Zeppelin III, last time I tried to buy it, it never came :'(

And one record said it was a collectable in good condition for $24 and another said it was a rare 1971 Canadian release which is in a like new condition...for $63

Im not sure which one to buy I would like the rare, but Im just not sure. ... So which one would any of you buy?

Okay I was on Amazon looking for Led Zeppelin III, last time I tried to buy it, it never came :'(

And one record said it was a collectable in good condition for $24 and another said it was a rare 1971 Canadian release which is in a like new condition...for $63

Im not sure which one to buy I would like the rare, but Im just not sure. ... So which one would any of you buy?

I'd want to know why it was rare first. If it had bonus tracks or alternate versions then I'd go for that. Otherwise I'd take the lesser priced one.

Try a secondhand record shop instead....found my vinyl Zep3 there with the original Jimmy inscription for around 5 euro there.

Often time a pressing from outside the US was better back in the 1970's. Because of the oil embargo around 1973-1974, record pressing plants were using recycled vinyl, not virgin vinyl. These albums had alot of surface noise because of the impurities. Copies from England, Germany, Canada, Japan and a whole host of other countries had shorter run pressings and were using fresh vinyl and took more care in their manufacturing.

So depending on when and where the record was made can determine quality and collectibility.

For the collector in the US, imports just about always sounded better than domestic issues of the same album, back 30-35 years ago.

Interesting. I didn't know that!

Try a secondhand record shop instead....found my vinyl Zep3 there with the original Jimmy inscription for around 5 euro there.

I wish I could, but there are absolutely no record stores near me...anywhere :'( ..that i know of.

The only one that I do go to is in the next state over in NJ, but i havent been there in a while..:(

Maybe ill go look for some online and see if there are any near me, there probably are..hopefully. Sadly I do not know how much 5 euros are lol, but Im guessing thats pretty cheap:)

Often time a pressing from outside the US was better back in the 1970's. Because of the oil embargo around 1973-1974, record pressing plants were using recycled vinyl, not virgin vinyl. These albums had alot of surface noise because of the impurities. Copies from England, Germany, Canada, Japan and a whole host of other countries had shorter run pressings and were using fresh vinyl and took more care in their manufacturing.

So depending on when and where the record was made can determine quality and collectibility.

For the collector in the US, imports just about always sounded better than domestic issues of the same album, back 30-35 years ago.

Import vinyl in the 70's certainly was better but the record in question Zep III was issued in Canada the same way it was in the States. There is nothing particularily unique about a Canadian pressing.

If somebody is claiming this Canadian issue to be a collectors item then I seriously would call BS. Stay away :) Now having said that, an original issue would certainly be of better quality vinyl than later NA issues. As time went by, the quality of NA vinyl did get worse.

I wish I could, but there are absolutely no record stores near me...anywhere :'( ..that i know of.

The only one that I do go to is in the next state over in NJ, but i havent been there in a while..:(

Maybe ill go look for some online and see if there are any near me, there probably are..hopefully. Sadly I do not know how much 5 euros are lol, but Im guessing thats pretty cheap:)

5 euros is about $6.00 USD now.

...Now I have another question..oh god

As some may tell, Im not too bright lol

What does an open order on amazon mean? Does it mean that the buyer hasnt completed the order yet?

It means the order hasn't been processed yet.

Cool! Never knew that. It's interesting facts like this all around this board that keep me coming back.

Thanks

Archived