HOTH Ads

Squeeze My Lemons

• 3 weeks later...
Here's one of them - I can't find the other at the moment, but hopefully later.

HOTHeffectisshattering-1.jpg

Gotta admit Otto that I've never seen that one. Love it though B)

Hi Ally! :wave:

There's a little personal anecdote behind that for me.

There were only two ads, and both had collages in that style. I didn't see them until at some point in the 90's - and was baffled when I did! :lol:

Here's why... I'm actually not sure whether these collages were originally made by the surrealist artist Max Ernst, but they are certainly in his spirit. He did a lot of them in the 1920's - composed a couple of collage-novels, and contributed a lot of them to a book of poetry by Paul Éluard. There is that violent and dream-like quality to them - surrealism a la Ernst - and I used to think they would fit as a cover for some of Led Zeppelin's music. So at some point in the late 1980's I made covers for two cassettes I had of LZ's June 23, 1977 show, with sized down photocopies of Ernst collages. Apart from that, Houses just happens to have been, pretty consistently, my favorite LZ album. So when I saw these ads in a book (it was Led Zeppelin: Heaven and Hell, I believe) I was both very surprised and absolutely delighted. Max Ernst is one of my favorite artists.

Hi Ally! :wave:

There's a little personal anecdote behind that for me.

There were only two ads, and both had collages in that style. I didn't see them until at some point in the 90's - and was baffled when I did! :lol:

Here's why... I'm actually not sure whether these collages were originally made by the surrealist artist Max Ernst, but they are certainly in his spirit. He did a lot of them in the 1920's - composed a couple of collage-novels, and contributed a lot of them to a book of poetry by Paul Éluard. There is that violent and dream-like quality to them - surrealism a la Ernst - and I used to think they would fit as a cover for some of Led Zeppelin's music. So at some point in the late 1980's I made covers for two cassettes I had of LZ's June 23, 1977 show, with sized down photocopies of Ernst collages. Apart from that, Houses just happens to have been, pretty consistently, my favorite LZ album. So when I saw these ads in a book (it was Led Zeppelin: Heaven and Hell, I believe) I was both very surprised and absolutely delighted. Max Ernst is one of my favorite artists.

They're brilliant and would have made great album covers. I love this stuff and will definately check out more Max Ernst. :beer:

Archived