"Think Rational"

Bong-Man

http://www.freep.com/article/20090726/ENT0...s-Michigan-band

BRIAN McCOLLUM

'Think Rational' celebrates a legendary Michigan band

Brian McCollum • July 26, 2009

Few figures in Michigan music have endured like singer-guitarist Scott Morgan, a supremely skilled if overlooked musician whose own journey mirrors rock's stylistic twists and turns through the years.

For Morgan, it all took off with the Rationals, who reigned on the Ann Arbor-Detroit scene from the mid-'60s through the group's 1970 split. Remembered with nostalgia by area baby boomers -- and with reverence by garage-rock buffs -- the rock-soul quartet has at last been treated to a proper historical release.

The two-disc "Think Rational" (**** out of four stars, 101 Distribution) was years in the making, long stymied by licensing issues tied to the defunct A-Square Records. With 34 tracks -- more than half previously unreleased -- the compilation generously fills in the gaps of last year's A-Square anthology, which included no Rationals material.

The collection isn't exhaustive; most noticeably missing is the group's famed 1968 cut "Guitar Army." But it's hard to complain about a set that's stacked with goodies like this: multiple recordings of regional hits like "Leavin' Here," remastered versions of more familiar fare like "Respect," little-glimpsed demos and rehearsal snippets.

For newcomers, "Think Rational" is a handy primer on one of Michigan's great lost bands. While the group's chops come to light with later-era cuts, the early stuff is downright delectable -- upbeat pop-rock tunes with a British Invasion bounce and a scrappy garage attack. The covers, including a lively version of Little Richard's "Poor Dog" and eight-minute jam on "Part Time Love," reveal an agile band brimming with confidence before label troubles and evolving trends doomed it.

Morgan's career would eventually lead him through a multitude of groups, and he remains busy with solo work and his band Powertrane. But there's a sense of justice in the release of "Think Rational," illuminating a crucial corner of Michigan rock history that sat in the shadows too long.

I am a big fan of The Rationals, and Morgan's later work too, with Sonic's Rendevouez(sp?) Band and The Solution. I've got their one and only album, which is quite a good effort. I certainly believe this compilation is great to pick up, concidering the extra material.

Morgan still knows how to kick off a great soul rocker, here's him and Nicke Andersson (of Hellacopters fame) with their project The Solution a couple of years ago:

They have made two albums, Communicate and Will Not Be Televised. I highly recomend both albums.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090726/ENT0...s-Michigan-band

BRIAN McCOLLUM

'Think Rational' celebrates a legendary Michigan band

Brian McCollum • July 26, 2009

Few figures in Michigan music have endured like singer-guitarist Scott Morgan, a supremely skilled if overlooked musician whose own journey mirrors rock's stylistic twists and turns through the years.

For Morgan, it all took off with the Rationals, who reigned on the Ann Arbor-Detroit scene from the mid-'60s through the group's 1970 split. Remembered with nostalgia by area baby boomers -- and with reverence by garage-rock buffs -- the rock-soul quartet has at last been treated to a proper historical release.

The two-disc "Think Rational" (**** out of four stars, 101 Distribution) was years in the making, long stymied by licensing issues tied to the defunct A-Square Records. With 34 tracks -- more than half previously unreleased -- the compilation generously fills in the gaps of last year's A-Square anthology, which included no Rationals material.

The collection isn't exhaustive; most noticeably missing is the group's famed 1968 cut "Guitar Army." But it's hard to complain about a set that's stacked with goodies like this: multiple recordings of regional hits like "Leavin' Here," remastered versions of more familiar fare like "Respect," little-glimpsed demos and rehearsal snippets.

For newcomers, "Think Rational" is a handy primer on one of Michigan's great lost bands. While the group's chops come to light with later-era cuts, the early stuff is downright delectable -- upbeat pop-rock tunes with a British Invasion bounce and a scrappy garage attack. The covers, including a lively version of Little Richard's "Poor Dog" and eight-minute jam on "Part Time Love," reveal an agile band brimming with confidence before label troubles and evolving trends doomed it.

Morgan's career would eventually lead him through a multitude of groups, and he remains busy with solo work and his band Powertrane. But there's a sense of justice in the release of "Think Rational," illuminating a crucial corner of Michigan rock history that sat in the shadows too long.

How's it going "Bong-Man?" I hope all is well with you. I'm also a big fan of THE RATIONALS. I'm also a big fan of the band from Flint, Michigan that called themselves GRAND FUNK RAILROAD. ROCK ON my friend!

Archived