HOW CD'S AND DVD'S ARE MADE

The Rover

I found this cool video on You Tube on how CD's and DVD's are made. There are many cool videos regarding this subject:

Bulk DVD Duplication

Discovery Channel -- How CDs are Made

Brought to you by Spock's Grandson [j/k]

I learned new terms about the CD manufacturing process, including:

Glass Master

Mother and Father Master

Stamper

I found this cool video on You Tube on how CD's and DVD's are made. There are many cool videos regarding this subject:

Bulk DVD Duplication

Glass Master

Mother and Father Master

Stamper

I love stuff like this! "Modern Marvel's", is one of the best info show's on the tube!

I used to work in the print shop of a duplication plant in the late 1980's and early 1990's. When I started there in 1987 they where making Cassette tape's and VHS video tape's. I would take my multi track recording's that I was making of me and my band into the QC control booth's to check my mixes on the high end $$$$$$ gear they had.

I would also get a lot of blank tape's from the trash bin before it was dumped too. They would throw away load's of perfectly good blank tape's because of a flaw in the print or the case it was in. Some time's we would get prerecorded tape's to but they where mostly messed up and unusable so I didn't even bother to much with that.

I had some tape's of my own recording's mass produced by them at a very low charge to me so it was a good job to have.

About the time I left they where getting into CD's and I remember seeing them bring in the glass pressing machine's. And had started running them before I was gone.

We printed out of house job's on my press almost all the time so I never worked out in the tape plant or the CD clean room's but I watched it all the time.

Bulk DVD Duplication

Glass Master

Mother and Father Master

Stamper

How's it going "The Rover?" I hope all is well with you. I have always been fascinated as to how CD's and DVD's are made. I am especially fascinated as to how 24 KT Gold CD's are made. Record label's such as Audio Fidelity and Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) sell some of the most (If not the best) top of the line 24 KT Gold CD's in the CD market today. If you have not heard a 24 KT Gold disc, I highly recommend that you buy one and compare it with your regular aluminum CD's, the results will blow you away. The only setback is that these discs are pretty expensive but when you hear and compare regular aluminum CD's with 24 KT Gold CD's, you will know exactly where your extra money is going. The Decibal (dB) ranges from the sound quality of MFSL 24 KT Gold CD's is beyond belief. Go to Mobile Fidelty Sound Lab's website at www.mofi.com and check them out. Also, read the history of MFSL and the technology that MFSL is known worldwide for, you will be impressed. In the mean time, take care and ROCK ON fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics!

Archived