toronto

prljam

why did led zeppelin stop coming to toronto after the first few tour dates in toronto...?

Ally proposed a very interesting theory concerning this. He said Harold Ballard, who took over full ownership of the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1971, was a cheap, stubborn bastard who may have clashed with Peter Grant. More on Ballard here:

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/histor ... allard.htm

Led Zeppelin were scheduled to perform at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto on April 1st 1977, but Robert's tonsilitis resulted in a postponement announced in a press release on March 3rd. Rescheduling was ruled out following the death of Karac Plant in July.

Pal Hal was so much of a businessman or a cheap bastard, that when the Beatles played MLG, he turned up the heat and turn off all the free water taps!!

Ally proposed a very interesting theory concerning this. He said Harold Ballard, who took over full ownership of the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1971, was a cheap, stubborn bastard who may have clashed with Peter Grant. More on Ballard here:

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/histor ... allard.htm

Led Zeppelin were scheduled to perform at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto on April 1st 1977, but Robert's tonsilitis resulted in a postponement announced in a press release on March 3rd. Rescheduling was ruled out following the death of Karac Plant in July.

why did led zeppelin stop coming to toronto after the first few tour dates in toronto...?

please tell me you bought "prljam's" new album. Backspacer...if you don't got it...get it.

and...

maybe they didn't like Toronto. I heard from a bunch of elders that the show at MLG's didn't go so well

Hello:

Mr. Ballard brought The Beatles to MLG!!!!! If he was that much of a scrooge he would not have had any concerts at all. I assume his son helped bring music into that building.

I saw the Moody Blues in the late 70's and Fleetwood Mac in the 80's (Christine McVie was there but Lindsey Buckingham was not on that tour.)

The acoustics weren't the greatest but afterall MLG's main purpose was a hockey arena not a concert hall.

Juliet :coffee:

Hello:

Mr. Ballard brought The Beatles to MLG!!!!! If he was that much of a scrooge he would not have had any concerts at all. I assume his son helped bring music into that building.

Scrooge! Have you ever been to MLG and gone to the mens washroom? They didn't have single urinals in there, rather, to save costs he ordered the worlds longest urinal troff for each mens washroom.

I'm not sure who the promoter was for bringing the Beatles to MLG. But it was Pal Hal's decision to not turn the A/C on and turn off the water taps and increase prices for cold soda drinks at the concession stands.

Archived